Losing and gaining same weight

For as long as I can remember I have lost and gained the same three stones in weight. I start feeling really focused, then seem to take my eye of the target and pile it all back on again. How can I stop this lose/gain cycle?:thinking2:

What are you doing to lose the 3 stone? What ever life style change you are making to lose, you have to make permanent. Something you can live with and continue easily in every day life. Also, I find a hobby to occupy my hands sometimes helps. A person usually needs clean dry hands to do their hobby, so it keeps me from eating chips and chocolate that I would normally do if I was just watching T.V. Maybe also write on your calendar to weigh in once a month, or put it as a reminder on your computer or phone to remind you. That way it will show you if your slipping before it's done to much damage.
Hope some of this helps
Good luck :)

I've lost and gained the same 2-4 stone about four or five times. The net result is that, despite six years of on/off dieting, I weighed the same at the beginning of this year as I did when I started dieting! Worse, I'm sure I do genuinely eat less now, meaning either age or a messed-up metabolism caused by yo-yo dieting has made it even harder!

All of the diets I've done have worked. What has failed me is, often slowly, bad habits have crept back in until, truthfully, I've got to the point where I've eaten what I want, when I want, while doing little or no exercise for a sustained period of a few months, without weighing myself.

Sometimes I rationalise it. I'll have a takeaway, perhaps the first for months after losing weight, then behave for a week and see no change on the scales. This becomes, in my head, 'I can have a takeaway every now and again' and as a result the takeaway happens once a week. This gradually becomes twice a week for a few months, with the odd chocolate bar thrown in and a few nights of lager followed by morning fry ups. I'll then step on the scales and notice I've put on half a stone. I'll think 'that's not bad, I've lost three or four before now, that'll come off quickly' and make no change, continuing on a downward spiral, without weighing. These unhelpful thoughts result in rapid weight gain and I'm back to where I started before I know it!

We've all heard the advice 'it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change'. It's annoying and at times feels patronising when people point it out, but it's true. Long term changes, sustainable habits. That's surely the way forward.

I'll let you know when I've lost three stone (again)!

Good luck, and hope you lose it for good this time.

Thanks Cheery for the feedback, it's not just me then:rolleyes: I look forward to hearing that you too break this cycle. :p

For as long as I can remember I have lost and gained the same three stones in weight. I start feeling really focused, then seem to take my eye of the target and pile it all back on again. How can I stop this lose/gain cycle?:thinking2:

This could be me writing! I've lost this 3+st 3 times before and started probably 15 times. Losing motivation when the 'event' has passed means the determination has gone and I return to bad habits and snacking. I know I need to change my habits forever just don't seen to be able to do it!

This could be me writing! I've lost this 3+st 3 times before and started probably 15 times. Losing motivation when the 'event' has passed means the determination has gone and I return to bad habits and snacking. I know I need to change my habits forever just don't seen to be able to do it!

Thanks Hules, the good thing about this site is that lots of us have experienced the same hurdles isn't it? I am finding it really encouraging hearing other peoples experiences together with the success stories and photo's. Good luck with your quest! x

Thanks, you too! I'll be watching for your progress x

Back