Losing weight with PCOS

moselee

Hi Guys,

im a newbie and loving this forum, im finding it so supportive. I am 25 years old and started my weight loss journey at 20st12lbs i lost 10lbs with ww but didnt really like counting points so i stopped for a few months and then started sw at 20st2lbs in my first week i lost 4.5lbs and my second just 1lb, my next weigh in is monday. i feel a lot better already and ive started to do zumba 2-3 times a week but im worried that the weight will come off really slowly as i have PCOS. I am prescribed metformin but have stopped taking it as it makes me poorly but i will start taking it again if it will aid my weightloss? can you guys advise? good news is after three weeks on sw and exercising my period has returned after four years absence!! im so motivated and committed to my weightloss journey but im worried that if it happens really slowly i will lose motivation and i really dont want that to happen. any advice or experience would be brilliant.

xxx

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm taking Metformin (luckily had no problems with side effects), have been taking it for almost a month now. Within two weeks of taking it, my period returned after not having one for four years (I had an implant in for three years, but I never had periods anyway). Maybe it was the Metformin that brought your period back? The doctor recommended that I started off with 500mg a day for 7-10 days then to increase to 2 x 500mg tablets a day, then 3 a day, one with each meal. Did you do the same? The gradual increase is supposed to let your body adjust to the pills and hopefully reduce any possible side effects. I was told the Metformin would help with weight loss, but I'm only one month in, so I can't say for sure if it's working yet. Hopefully someone else will have a success story...

But in the mean time, well done on doing Zumba, I've heard it's intense but fun! And well done on the weight loss so far :)

Hello and welcome. I am 30 have two kids and pcos I am on metformin I take 2x 500 tablets and was told to take at night. Was originally 4 tablets. I hve been on them for about 3-4 years maybe longer and can't really say they are helping me lose weight I am on the pill and also doing sw but since January only lost about 2lb (9lb in total on and off)

I was told to take the Metformin with food, but I guess it won't make a difference. It's a shame you haven't lost more in the four years though, but it is really hard with PCOS. I'm starting again with my diet tomorrow. I'm one of those people who do well for a couple of days, or a week or so, then just somehow lose motivation and just give up. I'm hoping to stick with it this time though, but I'm a bit disappointed to hear the Metformin hasn't worked for you :( Don't give up though!

I think you should try to take metformin. Could you take 1/2 a tablet? And you have to take with food as it does something to the insulin in your body, that's why they are actuly for diabetics. They make blood sugars level out. It helps you ovulate so maybe why you had a period?
Once you loose more weight you will get to a point where your pcos symptoms will go, then the weight will drop off. Also, be careful about your carbs, pasta and bread ect... You need low glycemic diet.
Ive been far and thin with pcos but the first couple stone the hardest. I'm fat at the moment:(
Good luck

Hi, Moselee.. Welcome to minimins.
I have PCOS myself and have just started taking metformin last month. I had refrained from taking any medication for almost a year since being diagnosed, but after losing 30 pounds with lots of exercise and strict dieting, my weight plateaued. Now after starting to take the med, I have lost another 5 pounds (the first after four months of no loss!).
I find that having small goals and without a fixed deadline works for me. I decided on a non-food treat for myself when I reach the goal. Right now I weigh 198 pounds and when I reach 190, I am hoping to get a new hair cut!
You are right, the weight loss may be slow and you have to keep up the motivation.
All the very best!
xxx

Back