Lost 1lb, got SOTW, so why am I so down?

Harry'sMom07

Silver Member
I have been doing SW for 3 weeks now and lost 1lb tonight, taking me to 9.5lbs in total. I was aiming for at least 2, so was really disappointed when it was only 1.:(

Don't know how my consultant knew, but she must have cos she gave me slimmer of the week :D Feel a fraud though as there were other ladies there who had lost more, although this doesn't seem to be the criteria for SOTW at our group.

I thought I'd done so well and tried really hard this week and I feel really quite down about it, which I know is daft as I still lost! Imagine what I'll be like if I ever gain!?!?!

Okay, just read what you have written here...

In only THREE weeks you have lost 9.5 pound and you are disappointed? Really?

You shouldn't be, week 3 is often a bit of a tough one as we get great losses in the first couple usually and then it does slow down. You will not lose loads each week.

You have achieved a lot in a short space of time, don't be disappointed.

As for SOTW, you may well have got it with a pound, it is dependant on the previous weeks - you need to have lost or sts and stayed to group.

Just look at how much you've lost in three weeks...that's phenomenal progress. WELL DONE!

I don't think setting weekly targets for yourself is good for your mental attitude. It just sets yourself up for a failure and a mood just like you are experiencing. You haven't failed - you've lost a pound. That's fab!
My consultant suggests just aiming for a loss..any loss. Think of it that way. Aim for any loss and you'll most likely succeed (and there's no shame in a maintain either!)

You probably can't expect to keep losing at such a speedy rate - it's only natural that your losses will slow down...and it's safer/healthier too.

You are doing SO well...be proud of yourself!

Well done

God I'd have loved to have lost 9.5lbs in 3 weeks. I was disappointed on my second week when I lost 1.5lbs (did this for 3 weeks) but then I shook myself and said "A loss is a loss and it's less than I weighed last month" must of sunk in now.

I have lost 4.5 lbs in 4 weeks, I gave 100% last week and only managed to lose a 1lb, I was so disappointed and really upset, before that any loss would have done, but because I had tried so hard I was expecting to lose more. Nearly all my class have their 1/2 stone and even some their 1 stone award, needless to say I felt a total failure. I had two choices after my weigh in, to either quit cos I felt I was getting nowhere fast or to accept that I had a loss no matter how small and continue with it. I decided to do the latter, and also to not set a weekly goal because I will only be upset again if I dont achieve it. I have given about 90% this week and have my WI tomorrow and am going with little expectation, my only hope is I have a loss. You have done fabulously well, concentrate on what you have already achieved, 9.5lbs in 3 weeks, wow, well done xx

My losses have always been under a pound a week. add it altogether and you will have a loss of 52lbs in a year which is over 3 stone. If you were seeing a dietician they would not want you to loose more than 2 lb per week as you are unlikely to keep it off. Had you not been doing slimming world the chances are you would have gained more than a pound. As a slow loser I find it helpful to look at the whole picture over a month rather than each weekly figure. keep going you are doing exceedingly well xx

Aww honey don't feel down!

You've lost 9.5lbs in THREE weeks!!! an average over just over 3lbs a week is amazing!

As the others have said, SOTW is based on set criteria and is a really warm feeling to get it, so enjoy it honey!

Keep it up, at this rate you'll have over a stone in 2 weeks time and trust me, that's a BIG milestone to hit!

xxx

Last edited:
You have done really well Huni!!!!

I would love to average 3lbs a week..but seem to have settled at 1lb a week if that!!
You should reward yourself that you have lost all this weight.

xxxx

Aww, thank you all, you have made me feel so much better :thankyou:

I am cross with myself as I know 9.5lbs is amazing. When friends moan about exactly the same thing, I am the first to pipe up and say that they should be aiming for 1-2lbs a week as this is the best way to keep it off - just can't take my own advice!

I think the problem is that our consultant asks us to name a weekly target - last week I said I'd like to lose 2lbs, so when it was only 1 I was disappointed. Next week when she asks, I'll try saying 'just a loss' and see what she makes of that! To be honest, I'm not sure she's that great a consultant :(

Thank you all again - you're fab!

I agree that setting a target is counterproductive. I see that your consultant is trying to get you hyped up and motivated for the coming week but it's clearly having the opposite effect. So stick to your guns the next time she asks :D

That's a little unfair to ask you to name a target esp as you're only weighing on the C's scales as we vary every week. I'm happy with any loss and have now got my head around being happy with a lb and anything more is a bonus. Our C doesn't ask us to name a target and I'm glad she doesn't as I'd feel a little apprehensive about it and if I didn't get that loss I'd be devastated and heartbroken. Keep smiling and tell the C you wont be setting a figure loss from now on.

Our C asks us what we would like to lose in the next week. Some give a figure, others just say a loss. Some even say STS if they have something planned.
Seems to work in our group but no-one is forced to make a target. If you, or anyone, feels uncomfortable about it, just say you don't want to. No-one will mind!

Back