Low-cal spag bol

moo21

Hi girls! The other half wants spag Bol for tea tommorow night and I'm very nervous of it! Any tips on how to make a low-cal one? Thank you! Stacey xx

moo21 said:
Hi girls! The other half wants spag Bol for tea tommorow night and I'm very nervous of it! Any tips on how to make a low-cal one? Thank you! Stacey xx

Heya I make mine with either onions or leeks then chopped up carrots (really chopped), mushrooms, then to really cut back the cals you can use quorum mince but I use lean beef mince with a oxo and to bulk it out some more I sometimes uses some grated/blended cauliflower (sounds strange but once in Bol is similiar texture to quorn), then either passata or tinned toms, splash of balsamic vinagar and lots of oregano. This makes loads from one pack of mince so I freeze into portions xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

lots of veggies, use quorn if you're open to trying vegetarian instead of mince meat, use spray oil or very little, make your own tomato sauce for it not from a jar!

My lot don't like bits so I make mine as follows.

In a pan chuck in 2 carrots, 2 onions roughly chopped, with 2 tubs of passata, mixed herbs some water and a stock cube garlic and a small amount of tomato puree. Let that simmer for 40 minutes until the veg is tender, then hand blend it.

Brown 500g on mince and mushrooms if you like.

Add everything together.

This is where I split it into 2 portions and freeze one and then put the other half in my slow cooker for as long as you can. The longer the better.

mine will make for 3 adults which is around 240 calories.

Spaghetti Bolognese

431 Calories
Serves 4

Low fat cooking spray
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g extra lean minced beef
2 carrots, chopped finely
2 celery sticks chopped finely
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1tsp dried thyme
100ml red wine
2tbsp worcestershire sauce
225g dried spaghetti
a small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

Spray a large frying pan with the low fat cooking spray and put on a medium heat. Fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the mince, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until it is browned all over,
Add the carrots, celery, tomatoes, tomato puree, thyme, seasoning, red wine and worcestershire sauce. Stir together and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in pan of boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and add to the sauce.
Season to taste, stir in the parsley before serving.

I would use extra-lean mince, wholewheat pasta, and don't have too much of it! (Also: no cheese)

Back