Low Calorie Recipes Needed..

NumberOne

Ok. I really need some low cal recipes. Getting really bored of eating the same things again and again. Unfortunatly im rubbish at cooking and lazy! :eek: My only excuse is, i dont know any yummy recipes. So roll up everyone and get posting. Thanks :D

here's one that i LOVE!

it serves 2 at around 390-400 cals a pop.

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 tbsp curry paste (i use hot tandoori- sharwoods)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
100g mushrooms
100g king prawns
tin tomatoes
tin of drained butter beans
200g sweet potato
Couple of tbsp of chopped coriander and mint (fresh)

steam the sweet potato until tender.
Put oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic until soft. stir in the curry paste and fry for a couple of mins. Add curry paste, stirring continuously for 1 minute. Add toms, mushrooms, butter beans and sweet potaoes. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10mins. Add prawns and simmer until they are cooked. Just before serving, stir in chopped fresh herbs.

et voila. a yummy, filling dinner!

Mmm sounds yummy. Definatly going to try it! Thanks for that Rhuba. Have you got anymore recipes? Everyone seems to have gone shy on me lol

will post some more when the boss isnt lurking lol!

have some recipes that can easily be adapted to your own tastes. what kind of calorie-amounts do you want?

:)

I do a stir-fry that's really low cal, although I haven't acutally worked out the values.

In a non stick pan, I fry up loads and loads of veg (e.g. carrot batons, mushrooms, spring onions, broccoli, red and yellow peppers, mange tout etc) with garlic, ginger, soy sauce and some lemon or lime juice. I don't add any oil, it just needs a little liquid (e.g. soy and lemon juice) to get it going - once the veggies start to cook, they release their juices a bit so they wont stick or burn. Then near the end, I add a few cooked king prawns and a little sweet chili sauce (the only slightly naughty thing in the whole dish... I use one of the Blue Dragon ones in the bottle, because it's my fave!). Then I eat the whole lot! I don't serve it with rice or noodles, I figure it's better and lower cal to eat the equivalent in veggies rather than carbs. You can use chopped up turkey breast too if you prefer, but you should add it at the start to ensure that it's properly cooked. It's a good recipe for a really quick meal and for using up slightly droopy fridge bottom vegetables too.

will post some more when the boss isnt lurking lol!

have some recipes that can easily be adapted to your own tastes. what kind of calorie-amounts do you want?

:)

Max 400cals would be nice. Thanks!

And im cooking the recipe you have given me. Just steaming the sweet potato :D

I do a stir-fry that's really low cal, although I haven't acutally worked out the values.

In a non stick pan, I fry up loads and loads of veg (e.g. carrot batons, mushrooms, spring onions, broccoli, red and yellow peppers, mange tout etc) with garlic, ginger, soy sauce and some lemon or lime juice. I don't add any oil, it just needs a little liquid (e.g. soy and lemon juice) to get it going - once the veggies start to cook, they release their juices a bit so they wont stick or burn. Then near the end, I add a few cooked king prawns and a little sweet chili sauce (the only slightly naughty thing in the whole dish... I use one of the Blue Dragon ones in the bottle, because it's my fave!). Then I eat the whole lot! I don't serve it with rice or noodles, I figure it's better and lower cal to eat the equivalent in veggies rather than carbs. You can use chopped up turkey breast too if you prefer, but you should add it at the start to ensure that it's properly cooked. It's a good recipe for a really quick meal and for using up slightly droopy fridge bottom vegetables too.

Oooh i really need how many cals. But sounds delicious. I'll give it a whirl ;)

And im cooking the recipe you have given me. Just steaming the sweet potato :D

how did you find it??

you sure you want more of mine lol....... not every one has the same taste of yummy as i do!

how did you find it??

you sure you want more of mine lol....... not every one has the same taste of yummy as i do!

I loved it! Offered some to the OH but he saw vegetables and passed lol. Unhealthy him! Anyway i thought more for me. And yes i would love some more recipes, if thats ok with you. Thanks Rhuba :D

You can buy sushi nori roasted seaweed and roll up your own sushi, if you're a fan of that kind of thing. The nice part is that you can experiment and stuff whatever you like in there, and it looks rather presentable if you're serving it up for friends and family, too!

I like the good old fashioned sushi rice, but I've tried quinoa and couscous and they were both lovely. I like adding little bits and pieces of everything to the centre... trusty cucumber and smoked salmon, avocado and prawn, petit pois and flaked tuna, boiled egg and watercress, even quorn and chutney! Lots of very nice low cal dipping sauces out there, too.

You can buy sushi nori roasted seaweed and roll up your own sushi, if you're a fan of that kind of thing. The nice part is that you can experiment and stuff whatever you like in there, and it looks rather presentable if you're serving it up for friends and family, too!

I like the good old fashioned sushi rice, but I've tried quinoa and couscous and they were both lovely. I like adding little bits and pieces of everything to the centre... trusty cucumber and smoked salmon, avocado and prawn, petit pois and flaked tuna, boiled egg and watercress, even quorn and chutney! Lots of very nice low cal dipping sauces out there, too.

Ooo sounds yummy. Were can i buy them?

Ooo sounds yummy. Were can i buy them?

You should be able to pick up sushi nori seaweed sheets at any big supermarket, usually in the world foods aisle, or health foods aisle. Alternatively, you can buy it on ebay! Sushi's a load of fun to make. :)

Worth sniffing them out on ebay if you love sushi... I know my local Asda, M&S and Tesco don't stock them, but my nearest Sainsbury's does. Might be worth a try.

Speaking of low cal recipes... made a baked butternut squash tonight. Bit of a pain in the derriere getting the thing sliced in two (think I need a cleaver!) but after the sawing and scooping I drizzled a little rapeseed oil over it along with 3 cloves of chopped garlic and a lot of seasoning. Baked for 50 mins at 180 then took it out and removed a bit of the centre and added it to a mix of cooked couscous with moroccan seasoning and a load of veggies I'd sweated down in a bit of veggie stock - diced red and yellow peppers, red onions, leek and broccoli. I mixed the lot together with some extra light philadelphia, half a grated apple and some raisins, then spooned it back into the squash, sprinkled some chopped walnuts over the top, and back into the oven for 20 mins until bubbly and golden.

Must admit, was tasty!

Back