Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

AliGal

Eating meat
I've just had my first meal of the day - 2 hard boiled eggs, mayo and salad - leaves, iceberg, fennel & red pepper. I'll be posting food here. Once I'm back in the routine, I'll be eating 16:8 - ie my meals will be within 8 hours, fasting 16 hours.

I don't calculate carbs or macros. I'll just be focusing mainly on a good bit of protein and low carb veggies.

If anyone else is doing low carb, please feel free to join in and share what you are eating when.

Evening meal was baked brie. I'd bought a mini brie round at Lidl - and baked it. I ate just baked brie, just under half the round. It was delicious.

I've had a coffee this am - but am still feeling good - no hunger 16 hours later. i was down 1.5lbs overnight - 3.5 since I started on Monday. Glycogen dropping the water! I'm now supping home made electrolyte water - cream of tartar, salt, lemon juice and water.

Well done so far. I used to love keto because the food is very nice. Don't even know why I ended up coming off it ha ha. Anyway good luck & keep it up

Yesterday I broke my fast at 2,30pm - a ridiculously big salad, 2 eggs and mayo. Later, I had some choc mousse (6pm), halloumi chunks fried so crispy at 7.15pm, and some slices of maaslam cheese at 9pm. I wasn't hungry at 9pm - just felt like snacking. So that has to stop - a slippery slope.

Still the first week of low carb, so the scales were down again this am.

I had two of my lock n lock containers of home made electrolytes. Juice of half a lemon, 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar, 1/2 teaspoon of rock salt. I leave out the apple cider vinegar to protect my teeth and no sweetener. It's acceptable and drinking that kept more focused I think.

The drinks containers come with a mixer insert. I had them for making shakes, as you can carry water in them and they have a mixer insert, and don't leak. I sometimes use them to store liquid n the fridge too. Mine are always put in the top rack of the dishwasher and have lasted a long time. £3.65 on Amazon - recommended!

1616840844683.png
1616841176521.png

Saturday: 2 x electrolyes drink- cream of tartar, salt, lemon juice & water. No cider vinegar to protect my teeth.

I broke my fast at 2.45pm. Beef mince (250g) , konjac noodles, small shallot, 1/2 carrot, 2/3 red pepper, some fennel fried in a pan with a sauce made by some tamarind puree (gives a sharpness like some lime juice would), some cream and water. could be lower carb without the shallot and carrot - but like the flavours and they are in the fridge. Very filling.

Later in the day: choc mousse bacon and an egg

Last edited:
Today - mince, cabbage, pepper, fennel, carrot, shallot and cream for breakfast at 12.30pm
Supper - lamb. later peanuts (still got some in the house....)
2 electrolyte drinks.

Last edited:
I started Keto/low carb last Monday (22.3.21) at 318.6 lbs. My target loss is 134.8lbs. I am down 6.8lbs - thanks to my glycogen letting water go. A good start - 128lbs total to left to shed. I'm eating well. My crocs are already looser - so inflammation is going down.

I broke my fats at 1.30pm (15 hours) with 2 eggs and bacon. Scrummy.

Well done!! How are you feeling energy-wise? I didn’t suffer from low-carb flu when I started in January but I think my body could remember the couple of years I spent low carb a decade ago.

I'm feeling great. I have had keto loose bowels. No sweeteners so I think its my gut flora s changing.

I have eaten low carb before too - and also the vlcd I did 9 years ago was low carb too! I think taking electrolytes is good too.

My evening meal has been the mince, pepper, fennel, carrot, shallot and cream reheated with some more cabbage. 3 slices of maasdaam.

You know, I have never had fennel yet think I’d probably like it as it’s aniseed-y isn’t it? I’ve always been uncertain of best way to cook/what to have it with, so you’ve given me an idea.

Yes. It's lightly aniseed flavour and crunchy.

I buy one when I go to the farm shop to pick up Mr AG's drugs (prescriptions from our GP, not illegal ones!) The surgery is 9 miles away so they have an arrangement to deliver drugs to the farm shop in the next village.

Any how - I use fennel as a delicious extra in stir fried veg and in my chopped salads.

When I have more money, I eat more - including as raw veg with celery and cucumber for dips etc, in a fennel sliced and braised, roasted with other veg and in the pan under roast lamb.

Google fennel salad recipes too - with a vinaigrette ( cider vinegar or lemon or lime with or without zest) with almonds, celery, or cucumber, and orange (not on when eating keto).

Bigger fennel can be a bit stringy - like celery, so you can shave them thinly. There's a core, like cabbage. I use that as well - either shaved or cooked.

I am astonished to have shed another 2lbs over night - bringing my BMi under 50 and over 1/2 stone shed in 8 days - down 8.8lbs.

I've just been drinking peppermint tea, regular water and sometimes sparkling water with lime juice. What benefit do you get from drinking the electrolyte water?. And how do you make your chocolate mousse. I was making some with tinned coconut milk, cacao powder, chia seed and frozen blueberries. But to be honest I found I didn't need it, I'm actually happier with a single square of dark chocolate. Just eating now and it's a two egg omelette with some cheese and scallion, a slice of ham and fresh spinach fried in butter and wild garlic. Eggs are definitely my favourite food.. I also love halloumi, the crunchy textured of it when friends but I always find it too salty to eat much of it and end up wanting something sweet after it to dampen the taste of else have a tomato sauce with it which I'm trying to avoid on keto

When I start keto, I can feel tired - so it helps with that. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/supplements

My choc mousse was one egg white, some cream whipped, folded together with some xylitol and the egg yolk, then melted very dark chocolate stirred in. No recipe - just threw the ingredients together. Then I put it into ramekins - as I'd eat too much from a big bowl. I won't make it often!

Thanks for the fennel tips! I may try growing it, Scottish Highlands makes growing veg trial and error - it might do well. Found a recipe for celeriac and fennel dauphinois which looked tasty to go with a roast. Well done on the reduced BMI!! I have 2.5 stones to go to get to overweight rather than obese, that’s my next big goal.

Yesterday - ridiculously big salad with egg and mayo and konjac noodles with bacon and cream and some peanuts.

Today - coffee with cream, a ridiculously big salad with some fried halloumi chunks (makes it crispy), and a big bowl of meat loaf (celery, red pepper and a little onion, carrot and garlic in the mix. No peanuts or pudding today. Yea!

Your food sounds lovely and fresh. I’m going to make halloumi chips in the air fryer for the first time, should be nice and may use in a dippy egg!

Halloumi chips are a revelation - they really get crispy! picked those up from keto fitness club's you tube videos - a lovely family production.

I've just seen the following as a recipe for KFC chicken. Interesting to see the amount of white pepper - and that the list includes celery salt, mustard and ginger. I think I'll do chicken with a wider range of spices than before!
  • 1/2 tbsp Basil
  • 1/2 tbsp Oregano
  • 1/2 tbsp Thyme
  • 1 tbsp Celery salt
  • 3 tbsp Ground white pepper
  • 1 tbsp Ground black pepper
  • 4 tbsp Smoked sweet paprika
  • 2 tbsp Garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp Mustard powder
  • 1 tbsp Ginger power
  • 1 tbsp Salt

Note: she also included 1 tbsp MSG - which I won't ever have in my kitchen....

That recipe is very similar to my mother’s southern fried chicken spices and she was raised in Texas. A lot more pepper than we suppose here.

Back