Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

Yesterday, I ate 2 slices of cheese at 1pm and then haddock & chips with tartar sauce and a dollop of ketchup at 5pm, a rare treat. Last time was 24 April!

I didn't eat all the chips and Mr AG finished most reheated for his lunch. I had a few chips at 1pm and then an 3 egg omlette at 3.10pm after cleaning the guest suite. I may eat again later or not, depending on how I feel.

Yesterday, I cleaned the airbnb and then had local lamb roast - including lots of veggies and a few potatoes - after 2pm. In the evening, I ate again - lamb, veggies and shirataki noodles - but only ate half of it.

I've shed 1.8lbs this week which takes me to the milestone of over that 10% of starting weight (10.23% precisely) which is meant to have a real impact on health. The loss is slowing down - just 4.4lbs the last 4 weeks.

1626682585663.png

So 32.6lbs lost in 119 days - 2 stone 4.6lbs in 4 months - 286lbs. A bit less achey most of the time but I rIcked my back 3 days ago so not enjoying easier movement at the mo. The lymph on my left leg isn't clearing so I'll book in to see my GP.

My trews are loose at the waist but not the calf. They are threadbare at the thigh rub! One pair has already been retired. My tunic tops are still OK but 2 need replacing and another 2 are also very tired so I will need some new clothes. The first new clothes in maybe 2 or 3 years. The charity shops here aren't great so I will probably order some new tops on line and replace my jeans with the same style one size down. Annoyingly, I think 2 sizes down will be too tight, and I can't yet wear the clothes I have stored away. I do have one pair of smartish trousers I will be able to wear again. I'll delay the jeans ordering to just before I go to Manchester, earler if the thighs go!

22 Mondays until Xmas - so sustaining 1lb a week will get me over 50lbs lost by Xmas. If I can do 1.5lbs, that would double my weight loss this year - 33lbs or 2 stone 5lbs in the next 5 months would take me to 4 stone 9.6lbs shed, down to a healthier 18 stone something, nearly half way to goal.

I have some travel - to Manchester via London next month. I wIll be in a timetabled environment and won't be able to drink and eat at will. So I will need to sort out a routine that works while staying away. Maybe there wll be some good charity shops in central Manchester - if Covid hasn't shut everything down by then.

This is really my food diary - so I will copy and post my clothes info into my WeMITT blog, which is my record of weight loss & feelings. I may move it to the Keto forum sometme. https://www.minimins.com/threads/get-to-slinky-again-and-staying-there.368008/

Last edited:
The overnight woosh - 1.6lbs down - despite a wierd day yesterday with a 3 egg mayo salad, a couple of slices of lamb and some Lidl mint choc protein ice cream. Very hot - and my husband was ill with breathing dfficulties so I dialed 999 and he's been admitted for tests and treatment. My new debit card didn't work - so am waiting for another new one - so no clothes ordering today!

Today, I have the new cleaner coming as I was supposed to be away in Glasgow this week. That's good as I'll get on with other work around the house/garden.

More later.

This thread is my food thread. I set it up for daily tracking - and have been a bit sporadic. I also have my slinky thread moore about tracking prgress and thinking. So here's my update today - weigh in day - 1.8lbs down this week. It's all good.

Lunch - egg mayo salad. I felt virtuous as I also popped a bit of vinegar in and descaled my egg boiler after I'd cooked the eggs. The electric egg boiler was an impulse buy at Lidl. It makes hard boiled eggs very quick and easy. They pee well and I don't have a setamed up kiitchen and pots of boiling water to drain. I'd definitely replace it if it stopped working.

I often make egg mayo - which also makes a good sandwch fillng for Mr AG. I have my mum's egg slicer - and slice the eggs one way then the cross way, which makes a good chopped up mix for my salads. I reckon the egg slicer (just a white plastic bottom with a hinged wire frame that cuts through the egg) must be 40 or 50 years old! It stll works fine.

Supper - cod mornay broccolli and caulflower and some proten icecream. A bit higher carb than usual - probably 50g (maybe more) but probably still low carb enough not to peak the insulin response.

Last edited:
A cross post from my other thread.
"My trip back from Manchester was uneventful. Again no sweets and choccie things in the car. Goodness - I used to eat a load of carbs when I drove long distance.

This trip, I had a camembert that was on offer (very ripe!!) in Tescos, some peanuts and some diet colas. I thought 'd get a hamburger no bun on route - but did't need one. I didn't eat the tescos hard boiled eggs either.

Yesterday - egg mayo salad with one slice of bread. I was making a sandwich for Mr AG - and made a slice for me. Lazy thinking. Not a habit to fall into. Later on some emergency hot chcken in a veggie sauce ( a bit of rice sticking to the chicken as I extracted the chick from a rice meal made for Mr AG), a bowl of strawberries and rasberres with cream and in the evening 4 rashers of great streaky bacon from the butcher.

Scale news! Having had another pee this am, I am actually down 1.6lbs in 12 days - so pro rata, my Monday weigh in would have been just under a lb. That's a bit of a surprise as I was at or above the prior Monday's weigh in yesterday.

Status report - 282.8 - 35.8lbs lost in 137 days - 4 1/2months - 2 stone 7.8lb - 11.24%

50lbs by Xmas just 14.2lbs to go & goal 94.8lbs to go."

I had erythritol on my berries as the strawbs were quite sharp. Not enough sun in Norfolk to make them sweet right now.

Today's changeover day - so I'll be cleaning the Airbnb and want to delay breaking my fast until after I've worked up a sweat doing that.

Update: So I got good and sweaty cleaning the airbnb. My principal exercise is cleaning the guest suite 3 or so times a week and carryng water from the garden tap to my tomatoes.

I postponed eating until I had been to pick up the dog from kennels and cleaned the airbnb. I had prepared 2 meals for Mr AG by then - to go with his drugs. I considered was I hungry? And I wasn't. So I delayed a bit longer. I didn't check the clock. I fancied something very savory and had a blitzed can of sardines. I buy them in olive oil, not sunflower oil at Lidl.

This evening, I have had 2 slices of excellent bacon. And I feel satisfied. So a high protein day today. My guess is the day is calories for the day were under 700 - and yet I feel satisfied. I hope I used some calories that I have acreted around my body today!!

Last edited:
I've had a whoosh. 4.4lbs down since I last posted here on Friday (5 days). On Monday this week, the loss was 4.4lbs for the previous 2 weeks - 14 days. So the data is very variable! I like daily weighing in as it keeps me focused and I don't let it muck wth my mind.

Yesterday was a higher intake day. Some cheese (aged gouda), a 2 egg mayo salad & a pudding made with the remains of some yorkshiire pudding batter (Keto Fitness Club recipe with arrowroot) cooked pancake style with raspberries and erythritol, and some bacon an egg and fried cucumber with a few peanuts for supper. The peanuts were a few at the end of the dry roast bag I'd had in the car coming back from Manchester.

We'd had yorkshires with some lamb at the weekend. The arrowroot recipe was good but not perfect so I'll try the coconut version of the recipe next time I cook keto Yorkshire puds for a roast. It was nice to have them because I wasn't having roast potatoes.

1628679442728.png

So I was pleased with to tick down a little today and still be in the teens in stones. Maybe the whoosh is to do with lympatic brushing and massage? But then my new size 24 jeans feel loose at the waist so that's good. I need some size 22s at the waist - but not yet at the thighs! My thighs are very solid. Well actually they are very soft. I've always been soft fat not hard and solid fat.

Last edited:
Lunch: Cabbage and cucumber iin a frying pan with a little butter to soften the cabbage and heat both up, topped wiith egg mayo. Less mayo n the egg mayo than I used to add. As long as I am still feelng satisfied, I am lowering the fats. No measurements - just consciously adding less oil or butter to the pan and less mayo to salads. I rarely snack between meals and mostly have 2 meals a day within 6 to 8 hours.

Maybe the results I am getting are due to lower fat intake. That sort of uncertainty arises when you don't count things. But i am not a detail person and don't want to weigh and measure unless I stall for a longish time.

More later.

Great news on the whoosh. I agree re all the weighing, life is too short for it.

Summer. So I've chosen to enjoy the harvest this week. Yesterday I had a massive corn on the cob, some strawberres with kiwi frut and a plum. I also had a veggie chcken stir fry with the corn and some cream with the straws/kiwi to break my fast and pork ribs, protein cream and the plum for supper.

I was slightly ticked up already yesterday am (normal daily variatons) and with yesterday's higher carbs, I am 2 lbs up. I plan to eat some melon today so tomorrow may be the same or even more.

How does that happen that I'm 2lbs up in 2 days? Maybe weigh in was particularly low. It was a big loss week. Glycogen and water and gut contents, I suppose, increase wieght. I'm sanguine - and know that will come off in the days ahead.

I made some stock yesterday and may have stock today as a warm drink as it's grey here today.

I'm sure I read that 1g of carbs will carry 4g of water once eaten so it's very easy to have a 2lb increase after having some. I also find my digestion slows down after carbs so am holding them longer. I've often had a 1kilo gain overnight but it's not a fat gain mainly a gut gain. Yep, you are right,back on track,lots of water and it will go..
You have this.

So the day after I had the summer fruits, I had an epic bag of donuts at Tesco's fail, and ended up 1.4lbs last week. Very disappointed in myself. Did the fruits (super sweet so high carb melon and plums) set me off? Maybe. https://www.minimins.com/threads/get-to-slinky-again-and-staying-there.368008/post-8088120

Anyhow, I am no longer cavalierly confident about Tesco's! https://www.minimins.com/threads/get-to-slinky-again-and-staying-there.368008/post-8088267

Yesterday, I ate that pack of bacon (not crispy, Tesco - shame on you for mis-selling!), a small chicken mayo salad late afternoon and some salt and crispy pork belly around 7.30pm. I've been eating a lot of salads (often egg mayo, sometimes a lttle shop bought tomatoes and home grown cucumbers, sometimes chicken), omlettes and sometimes protein icecream.

The day before I had some sausages, egg and bacon, some plums from the farm shop and an egg salad. Ripe plums are not low carb - but they taste good (so much better than supermarket plums, even those "premium" ones) and so it's a reasonable choice of variation of eating for me.

I've reversed that 1.4lbs gain and so my next weigh in should build more progress downwards.

I am going to make a low carb bread loaf that uses yeast to see if I like it. It uses arrowroot, almond and coconut flour, chia and psyllium.

I've bought some egg white powder so I will also make the Maria Emmerich PSMF "bread". It's egg whites and egg whte powder mostly. I've seen people on the web having success breaking a stall and in weight loss usng PSMF - protein sparing modifed fasts - using the alternative day protein days (similar Dukan or a no fat Atkins). Basic low fat protein keeps them satisfied 2 or 3 days a week, and the other days are regular delayed eating (intermittent fasting for 14 or 16 or more hours) and low carb. To do that you have to count the macros - mine would be 962 calories - 163g protein, less than 30g of fat and 10g of carbs. I'm not a great counter - so not sure if I will do this.

I found this comparing vlcds, PSMF and keto - though I thInk most people fnd they need to be below 20g carbs if they've become insulin sensitIve.
I was shocked to see how many carbs are in slimfast - it must make it harder than the low carb vlcds where you get the diminishing appetite. The one did used 5 shakes a day under 100 cals and a big salad with some olive oil. f 'd done that again, 'd be another 2 stone lower - but I am not sure I could sustain vlcd shakes etc for the same period as that I've sustained keto style.

1630147213723.png

Yesterday, l ate after cleaning the airbnb. So I broke my fast at 4.15pm. wth 6 strips of bacon and 2 eggs. 90 mins later l had 2 slices of toast - coconut bread with dolcelatte. I also had some mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds. The slice were equivalent to the size of one slice of wheat bread.

The coconut bread is made of eggs, coconut flour, salt and baking powder. It was quite dense (needed more baking powder?) and had a spongey texture.

Not a recipe I'll make again.

l will be trying other "bread" recipes including PSMF bread (mainly egg whites and egg white powder) - as l'm looking at higher protein days. l only have eaten maybe 2 slices of bread and some sourdough bread. l found fresh sourdough n the house compellng. Mr AG's slced brwn - not compelling as l now consider myself someone who doesn't eat bread.

This morning, I was down 1lb on yesterday's weigh in day. A bit frustrating as my results for the past 4 weeks was just 0.8lb off. 1.8lbs would have felt better (2.2lbs for the week - ie no change over the 2 week period. lt just underlines the arbitrary nature of weighing in.

l broke fast wth a bit of chicken when stripping the soup carcass and then a creamy coffee - before l head out to to the GPs.

The weekly results were for my sixth month were +1.4lbs, -3.2lbs, +2.2lbs, -1.2lbs. So this is first month l've been really up and down. Today l am 275.6lbs - 43lbs shed - 3st1lb (13.5%) in 6 months.

Month Six: 0.8lbs down l (+1.4lbs) l 3.2lbs l (+2.2lbs) I 1.2lbs
Month Five: 9.8lbs down I 1.8lbs I 4.4lbs in 2 weeks I 3.6lbs l
Month Four: 4.4lbs down I 1.2lbs l 0lb I 1.4lbs I 1.8lbs l
Month Three: 5.6lbs down I 1.4lbs I 0.6lbs I 1.6lbs I 2lbs I
Month Two: 8.2lbs down I 3lbs I 1lb I 0.4lbs I 1.4lbs I 2.4lbs I
Month One: 14.4lbs down I 7.8lbs I 3.8lbs I 0.6lbs I 2.2lbs I

1631607670314.png

At 10am, l had a smidgeon of chicken as l stripped the carcass for soup and then a creamy coffee - double cream and some MCT oil plus a few drops of caramel stevia and erythritol whizzed up. A real treat.

Scratchings in the car on the way home from the GP. l've bought some chickens l'll roast later and bread for Mr AG from the small garage supermarket go past on my way to the surgery 10 miles away.

Just now after doing turnaround on a one night stay, l had 3 egg mayo. I've started making my own mayo = a whole egg, a teaspoon of mayo, salt and pepper, 350ml light olive oil, topped up to 400 wth MCT oil. l still use shop bought for Mr AG as his immune system is compromised. chop the eggs up in my mum's old egg slcer - a slight white plastic and metal one that's probably 40 or 50 years old! l slice the egg one way and then put it back crossways and slice again - it makes a perfect size for egg mayo.

Scratchings and chicken for supper.

Last edited:
l broke my fast c11am with 2 slices of coconut bread with chicken mayo and then off to have an Xray (all good) and do a lttle shopping while iin town. Now I've just had 2 more slices and egg mayo. More later.

Midday - Broke my fast with bacon, eggs and some tomatoes and beans (so high on carbs - 27g making this a +60g day).

Mid afternoon - some hazelnuts. Some jelly which hadn't jellified!
Supper - 2 sausages, parmesan cheese, some tomatoes & 3 very very thin slices of coconut bread with butter & marmite and more jelly & hazelnuts.

Last edited:
A rather satisfying 45lbs shed today - 3 stone 3lbs. A 3lb whoosh in 5 days while eating well. 273.6 lbs 19st7.6lb 14.12% down.

1631897511547.png

Today, I will break fast after turnaround. l definitely find it easy to eat late on days when l am cleaning etc. So l have had a black coffee wth erythritol this am.

Update: And l didn't .

l went to pick up Mr AG's drugs from the farmshop. Our GP's dispensary delivers there - which saves me 16 more miles (to the GP and back). Those online dispensaries would not work as often he needs a speedy prescription. We want to support the dispensary as it's an essential local service.

So l ate some crispy cheesey thingies - zero carb and very crispy (and pricey - memo to self - make your own), a mouthful of chicken and mayo when making Mr AG's sandwich and 6 plums. Marjorie's Seedlng so it reminded me of my childhood. I sometimes eat summer/autumn fruit in season as l like it and occassonal doing so works for me.

Early evening - blitzed chicken, slice of coconut bread, bit of carrot and eggs - making some patties. Very filling. l couldn't eat them all. l think ts true what they say - difficult to really binge on protein. I'll have jelly later. l found an old pack of low sugar jelly in my spices so am using it up.

Last edited:
l broke my fast at 3.30pm - bacon & eggs. l was very hungry - so l pushed through doing the turnaround and then ate straight away. Sometimes l delay a bit longer after cleaning.

16.50pm - a couple of tablespoons of hot stock (while coooking for Mr AG and 4 hazel nuts - which l'd knocked out of the packet by mistake! 2 plums. A bit later one pckled onion, some tomatoes (at last ripe from the garden), a square of very dark chocolate and few more hazelnuts.

Late supper: egg mayo and emmental slices.

Last edited:
Back