Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

An ongoing whoosh - 1.4lbs overnight. 4lbs in 6 days. Just 2.8lbs to my first 50lbs - half a century.

Another single nighter so turnaround again. I will break fast this afternoon after cleaning. Is delaying eating (fasting) until mid to late afternoon a contributer to this whoosh?

l broke fast after 3pm - l wasn't looking at the clock so not sure exactly what time. Over 19 hours fasting. l'm not sure l would have lasted so long if l hadn't had turnaround to do.

An egg and bacon and two slices of coconut bread (each about about 2 inches tall) with butter and marmite. I was too hungry to prep and roast the veggies I bought yesterday. Some salted sunflower seeds in the shell - they are a salty treat and take a while to eat. Later a cup of korma curry sauce - lots of veg inc carrots so a bit carby.

Last edited:
A bite of bacon when cooking Mr AG's breakfast undermined my fast. l ate at 3.30 - bacon and an egg. and a teaspoon of peanut butter. More later.

Down 1.8lbs down this week so 48lbs shed (3st 6lb or a satisfying 15.07%) in 27 weeks or 4500 hours. This takes me to 270.6lbs 19st4.6lb, more than 1/3 of my target lost.

1632760545524.png

Today, I had to run an errand and did a little shop at Sainsbury's. I bought a pack of pork puffs (the spanish style pork rinds) and broke my fast with it's 18g of protein c 175 cals. Then l cleaned the airbnb - stopping to finish some eggwhite bread with butter and marmite and have a chat with Mr AG.

l have just eaten again. Chicken breast with creamy tomato sauce, a chunk of Emmental and a Hartley's raspberry less than 10 cal jelly pot.

l'd made the PSMF Maria Emmerich "bread" recipe with 6 egg whites yesterday. l added nutritional yeast, some mixed herbs, erythritol and some inulin as I have no allulose. lt browned well wth the inulin. l'll leave it in the oven a little longer next time in the oven. It's not bread but will be a useful addition to my diet.

So l have some egg yolks and found some cream on offer at Sainsbury's - so l added some protein powder, cocoa and guar gum & made some ice cream. I licked the spoons after stirring it. l had to go to bed so it may be a bt crystallised as l decided not to stay up and stir it more! l also ate some almonds.

Last edited:
l'll let you know later!

Broke fast at 11.30am - egg mayo salad with olives. My egg cooker is really useful. l don't end up with a steamy kitchen and they are easier to peel. Then l use my ma's old egg slicer slicing them twice - once one way and once the other way so they are in small chunks. l make Mr AG's sandwiches with some egg mayo. Today l made his sandwich, my salad and have some egg mayo in the fridge for tomorrow.

My pork puff scratchings have been delivered. They are Cinco brand from VB Wholesale va Amazon. l won't order them again as the seasoning, a light dusting, has wheat, soya and MSG. All uneccessary. They taste OK (one pack eaten - fortunately ..... as l have a dozen bags. My fault entirely as the ingredents were one of the photos on the listing. Under 125 calories, 6.2g fat, and nearly 16g of protein.

l threw ingredients into my ice cream recipe yesterday evening. lt needed less xantham gum and more cocoa. lnulin worked in Maria Emmerich's PSMF egg white bread - but doesn't work like allulose to keep ice cream soft. So the ice cream has frozen solid. Defrosted a bit it's OK - not so icey. So l have some portions in the freezer. High in calories as it has cream, egg yolks and protein powder - so also very satisfying.

Memo to self - follow a recipe next time!

More later.

Last edited:
Missed this post - sorry about the ice cream, but at least you're trying lots of things out. I got a compressor ice cream maker cheap on eBay so will crank it up this weekend using Alpro no sugar yogurt and flavouring - way more excited than I should be about this but it means a tub of no carb ice cream alternative for £1.60 (or thereabouts) :D.

And snap on the boiled egg machine, I dug mine out yesterday, so I can have snack eggs ready. I also bought 1kg pork scratchings from Amazon, a brand called Black Country - very nice. And I used some of Mrs Keto's pork panko (Amazon again) to 'bread' chicken and it was fabulous.

Ooh I'll have to try fennel in stir fry. I dont think I have done that before. In fact its possibly a couple of decades since I have bought any!!!

l love fennel in a stir fry and also sliced very thinly coleslaw style with a vinagrette or mayo. And l have grown a fondness for stir fried cabbbage - all sorts, coleslaws and roasted wedges of the pale green cabbage. Another favourite - not frequent - is deep fried halloumi "chips". I don't have a chip or air fryer - so do it in a frying pan with lots of oil.

l bought a coffee grinder to grind spices a while ago and have made my own "panko" crumb with spanish puffy style scratchings. I discovered its better to do it in really small batches so it doesn't mash into a mush at the bottom.

Edited to add a video of Mrs Keto Naturopath making pork rind crumb with puffy spanish chiccarones .

Last edited:
l had a snacky bit of beef when cooking Mr AG's lunch and then ate after cleaning - maybe around 5.00pm.

l had 3 chicken thighs. l've managed an epic fail for egg white psmf bread - by omitting 2 of the 6 egg whites. l found them after I'd put the loaf in the oven ....

l'd separated the the whites from the yolks and somehow forgot to put the final 2 of 6 into the bowl. l thought the volume of peaked egg white was low......So the bread is very solid! l just had some slices with butter and marmite. Not my finest hour.

So l've made some xylitol meringues. They have browned as cooked them iin the oven at 160c with the bread. No recipe - I just blitzed some xylitol and added it and a squirt of hazelnut coffee flavouring. They are crunchy - but have the cooling taste of the xylitol.

LOL oopsie on the egg whites, that's totally the kind of thing I'd do. I used to keep my eggs in a bowl on top of the fridge, went to reach for one and knocked the whole bowl down the back of the fridge!!! Took hours to clean up :D :D.

I do fancy trying an almond or coconut flour cookie recipe - do you have one that works well for you?

Eggs down the back of the fridge sounds very trying!

l don't make cookies often as l can find them compelling - and the almond flour drives up the intake of calories. I'm not sure which I've made - but I find KFC recipes reliable. Here are 3 kfc almond cookie recipes.

https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/blogs/sweet-treats/microwave-cookie This makes just 2 cookies.

https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/blogs/sweet-treats/marzipan-biscuits

Peanut butter (you can use almond butter too) https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-peanut-butter-cookies

Last edited:
Monday - I broke fast around 4.30pm with fish and chips. l was ravenous. I only delayed so late because I was cleaning. It's maybe the 3rd time in 6 months, l've had haddock and chips. I didn't eat all my chips. That would have been unimaginable beore l started this regime.

Yesterday, I had some cheese while making Mr AG's sandwich and then ate bacon and eggs later in the afternoon. Recently, I have been having a little taste of ingredents whle making Mr AG's break fast. It's negligible in terms of calories - but is a slippery slope. So l must stop that undeliberate intake.

I made the megga bread recipe with chia seeds and a Lidl flax seed mix. I had several slices whle still warm with butter and marmite. The crumb was very fluffy/light and the crust was wonderfully crusty. I used lard rather than butter.

l'll be interested to see what it is like cold. I think I may use some almond flour next time if the crumb still seems light when cold.

lt was a very wet claggy dough. I used my Lidl electric hand held mixer to knead it. Although the recipe says you can knead/mix by hand, I think that would be so sticky, you'd enough up with dough stuck to your hands. I used wet hands to shape the top of the bread. That created a sort of crust when it was proving in the oven at 50c. Maybe, it would have been better if I'd slashed the top before it proofed. Nothing about slashing the top in the recipe. I smoothed it and it was quite shiny on the top. Maybe a claggy top would be less shiny.

I'd probably double the recipe next time to make a taller loaf, and then put some sliced in the freezer. The batch made according the recipe just about came to the top of the loaf tin in the middle, so each slice is less than half the height of a regular loaf. It rose well - so I thInk double the recIpe will be good. l will also get smaller loaf or cake pans so I can make a small cake or a one batch of bread. I lined the pan wth greaseproof paper - and the loaf came out easily.

Yesterday, l also ate brazil nuts and hazel nuts.

I'd have expected to have had a bigger blip up on daily weighing yesterday after the F&C - but was up just 0.2lbs on Monday's weigh in. Today Wednesday, I'm 0.4lbs down on yesterday so 0.2lbs down on Monday's weekly weigh in.

I definitely felt my jeans were looser yeserday - so l had wondered if l'd had a whoosh. So that's good I'm down but l wonder if I'd be down more without the fish & chips. Whatever, I am glad that occasionally I can share fish and chips with Mr AG.

My nails are really good. l think the meat and stock (bone broth as the american call it) must increase my collagen. I've had no hair loss - which did on vlcds. I have been finding out about having fasting days when you drink bone broth. So I think I may get more bones from the butcher. Last time, I got some really good meaty lamb bones.

Last edited:
Bone broth, proper stuff, sounds lovely right now on these autumn days - and well done for having the F&Cs, it didn't cause an issue and that's what it's all about, finding that balance.

Also well done on all the experimenting with the Megga bread. I have a slight phobia about dough and stuff sticking to my hands liek that, so can't see me making it up from scratch, but I'm waiting for the made up mixes to come to shove into my new (2nd hand) breadmaker, will report back.

I look forward to hearing how the breadmaker goes. I just had a slice of bread with some bacon and eggs. It sn't bread but is an acceptable substitute.

Yesterday., I had a small thoughtless pice of parmesan from the fridge in the am. Then I ate c 2.40pm after cleaning. I ate a salad - chopped iceberg and chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of homemade mayo. Later I had a bowl of keto topped aple crumble with a spoon of cream. It was an invented recipe with ground almonds, butter, erythritol, some walnut halves, grated lemon rind. nutmeg and mixed spice. I was out of cinnamon.. The apple was with some eyrthritol, a bit of stevia, a shake or two of the spices and a little xantham gum, It makes it have a little saucey feel around the apples = you know like an american apple pie. I cooked the apples in the pyrex bowl first in the oven and then added the topping. Apple isn't keto - but it fits with my eat it occassionally philosphy. We live near a big orchard and the apples are so beautiful at this time of year.

I rarely make pudding - I usually buy pudding for Mr AG and don't eat it. Mostly, If I put something on the top shelf of the fridge, I can ignore it, Even tiramisu! My tastes have changed. At that conference I went to at the QE2 conference centre in London, I had a boxed lunch. I ate the insides of the sandwiches and the little quiche and a delicious little salad. Then I ate a choc mousse. Yes. I know.

It was a little pot. It was chocolatey - but, you know, it wasn't delicious,. It was too sweet. My taste buds are changing.

I had a taste of the chicken and chinese style sauce I made for Mr AG as a stir fry. It was slightly sweet and sour so I used erythritol, and after tasting it, I added some sweet chilli sauce for him.

I'm making stock - and using a cup of that from time to time. Savoury, hot and good as we transition into autumn.

Anyhow later yesterday I had some nutritional yeast. I bought some for my egg white bread recipe and I add it to megga bread too. It's a savoury, tangy not really cheesey taste. I find it's a low calorie and although there are some carbs, theres lots of fibre so the US net carbs are low. Here's a good article about it. I reckon it's an acquired or specific taste. Some people will find it horrible. https://www.theartofketo.com/is-nutritional-yeast-keto-friendly/

I use it to scratch a savoury itch. It really works for me! I only take a little at a time as too much in my mouth feels claggy.

So after yesterday, I shed 1.2lbs. 1.2lbs overnight. I felt very satisfied yesterday with my food. No idea why the scales moved as much. That's the mystery of daily weighing!

Yesterday:
1635841830153.png

Today:
1635841814192.png

So good to see I am now into the 70s - 70 something pounds left to shed! I started off with over 130lbs to shed - so I am quietly happy about my progress.

I lost my phone - and have been hoping it would be found. I bit the bullet and bought a new one - so will soon be able to use apps again. I think I will use a fasting app as I know in the past , just recording my times has encouraged me to delay. The guy in the art of keto (I shared his nutritional yeast info) is wrong. He says it's just total calories. For me, fasting or delaying eating does reduce appetite over time. It is so different now from previous weight loss attempts beacuse it isn't hard. I remember on weight watchers and Slimming world, tracking and seeing what I could fit in to my "weight loss" spending budget. Now I just choose low carb. I am satisfied.

This am, I still feel full. So no breakfast on auto pilot So I am burning up the stores on my body. The art of keto guy says he thinks fasting doesn't matter, it's just total intake of calories. I disagree with him. I think fasting - in my case a basic stop eating after my meal at night and wait until I am really hungry to start eating the next day. That means I break fast sometime usually after midday, occassionally earlier - 11 or 11.30am and often after 2 and if I am cleaning the Airbnb , I'll aim to eat afterwards so that's often 4pm beacause I'm busy.

I agree, I find with intermittent fasting once I get in the swing of it I am less hungry. It seems to balance out the blood sugars and you don't get that "I'm starving" feeling if you don't have a meal when you planned. And no "hangry" either . Ive used nutritional yeast before particularly mixed with cauliflower

So November has been a slow month. https://www.minimins.com/threads/get-to-slinky-again-and-staying-there.368008/post-8091834

I must post here more often about what I am eating. I think that will help me be more thoughtful.

Yesterday, ham & a small ham on sourdough sandwich while out, snack of hard boiled eggs on my return and veggies in cream sauce, chicken and crisped up skin in the evening.

Today - higher carb - portion of beans, veggies in sauce, bacon and 2 eggs. More later.

A strange day. I can't think what possessed me to break fast at noon on dark chocolate....

I had a piece of turkey while making Mr AG a sandwich. Some Lidl XX Cola, pretend Pepsi Max.

Then I had a mug of stock mid afternoon after cleaning the airbnb and doing some laundry.

Now I am eating a stir fry - a stir fry pack, more beanspouts, white cabbage, mushroom, mangetout, red pepper and some carrots, a little turkey, garlic, chilli sauce, soy sauce and more stock (a really big Eat Like a Bear plateful) and a few small potatoes. It should have had more protein - so I may eat some later. Edited to add I also had some dark chocolate and also had some cheese oatcakes late.

I am still winter feasting - some xmas pudding and xmas cake in my future this week ahead, plus another cocktail or two. So I don't know where I'll be in a week's time for the first new year weigh in. I have altered my ticker up. Still finishing the year at 50lbs lost. Astonishing. Really grateful fo the virtual weekly weigh in here - and good company on our different roots to health.

Last edited:
Back