Low carb, is it long tern?

Sami24

Hi guys, I was wondering for those that have been doing a low carb diet for a while, if I do this will the weight loss stay off or will it come back on if I introduce a few carbs again after I'm comfortable with my weight?

I'd just prefer a long term solution and have just learned that this may not be the best solution for that... Any ideas?

Low carb is an excellent long term solution for weight control.

There will be a level of carb intake where your weight will be stable, this is different for everyone. Once you've reached your goal weight, hold your carb intake level for a few weeks, just to be sure, and then start increasing your carbs by just a bit, say 10 grams, for a week, and see what happens to your weight. And then step up again if you want to, and if your weight is still stable - and so on. If you start to gain again, then drop the carbs back down a little bit.

If you go back to eating the way you were before, then the weight will indeed go back on. It is just a case of finding the right balance, really.

I'm planning on doing it long term :) I'm loving the way I feel on this. When I hit maintenance I'll build up the carbs a bit as swgirl says, but I won't increase them by that much because I'm just too happy as is.

Ive regained on every other diet because I didn't make fundamental changes to my lifestyle. Now I feel I am doing something sustainable, I am in no real hurry and definitely see this as a long term adventure.

If you of on to the Atkins board, there are people who have been low carbing and maintained for years! It's also worth checking out a book called escape the diet trap by dr john briffa (he also has a blog or you can watch interviews on you tube) which discuss low carbing long term for health.

Good luck - I don't think you can get much better than this, diet wise!

Have just bought that book this morning and have been reading it all day, it really is excellent. I think you are spot with what you say about loving the way you feel eating this way - we (myself and husband) are never going back to our old way of eating. I do just wish I was losing a bit faster, ho hum, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'll get there.

You're doing well! Three and a half pounds in week one and that's on OWL, wow...

I have maintained for 14 months now & the only way to do it is to reintroduce carbs back into yr eating the correct way & one type at a time so that yr body can tell you if it will trigger anything..... I still am pretty low carb in my way of eating but allow myself higher carb treats but even now they never taste as good as I thought they would. Be careful & cautious use a book, Atkins, South Beach, Pig to Twig for example & stick to one of them for yr maintenance stage....

Good luck.x

I have given up carbs for about 3 months and have seen significant difference in my abs. I would say there if more definition all around :). I would recommend it to anyone as long term.

I definitely recommend low carb for maintenance - now i am trying to maintain i find i choose to eat lower carb than i "could" - feel fab, tastes great - what more could you want:D

Back