Low syn (could be no syn!) dhansak sauce

CornishPisky

Mine & my OH favourite curry is chicken Dhansak. I've finally found a recipe which is pretty darned close to an authentic Indian dhansak. I have tweaked it a little to make it low syn, removing the ghee etc, (I believe the only syns would be in the tomato puree, but if you use reduced passata instead, its completely free!). It might look a lot of work, but its actually easy once you've done the prep, & the taste is well worth it. I do double quantities & freeze half. Here it is...

300ml chicken stock
2 small onions finely chopped
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons chopped garlic or garlic puree
2 teaspoons tumeric
4 teaspoons mild curry powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
A fresh pineapple, finely chopped, including the juice, 400ml
50ml VLF Natural yoghurt
2 tablespoons of tomato puree (or reduced passata for a free sauce)
200ml Onion puree
400 ml pureed cooked red lentils
2 tablespoons of sweetener, or to taste
Frylight

Put the lentils on to cook, will take around 10 - 15 mins in microwave. Use just enough boiling water to cover them by about an inch. When soft, puree down with a hand blender, liquidiser or food processor.

Next do the onion puree. In some boiling water on the stove, add a few handfuls of chopped onions. Cook until soft. Puree with a hand blender, liquidiser or food processor. Any left can be frozen til next time.

In a large saucepan, (I use a wok) heat til hot. Add the whole seeds, & toast til they sizzle & crackle.

Add the finely chopped onions, & spray with frylight. Reduce heat to low, & cook the onions gently til golden brown & soft.

Make a paste of the ginger, garlic, curry powder, tumeric, & chilli with a little water, add to the pan, & cook for a few minutes. Add the pineapple.

Mix the yoghurt, tomato puree or passata, onion puree & lentil puree, with stock & add to the pan. Turn up the heat, til simmering, then simmer for 20 - 30 mins to reduce.

Last of all, add the sweetener & garam masala once cooking is done.

Like most curries this is best left overnight, for the flavours to develop. You can then part cook some diced chicken, or lamb or whatever, then add your sauce, plus a little water if its too thick, & cook til the meat is done.

Its divine!
PS I think I have the syns right, but please correct me if I've made any mistakes...

That sounds yummy! Dhansak is my favourite too so will definitely give it a try.

Thanks x

Yummy I just made this but I put the yogurt and pineapple in at the end I also added the chicken at the stock stage and it was tender and juicy.
I didnt have mild curry I just had madras and used that and it was spicy delicious lol
xxxx

Just been looking for a dhansak recipe!

Big thanks from me - I am going to attempt a vegetable dhansak using this recipe very soon :)

Hi
Thanks for this recipe, I tried it last night it was yummy, just did a veggie version with potato, sweet pots, carrots, cauli, courgette n mushroom! I missed out fennel n cumin seeds as I didn't have any n it was great. X

Very tasty. Thanks. I made it with lamb and added fresh spinach at the very end. OH preferred it to the local Indian restaurant. Result :)

might give this a go at the weekend, thanks for posting.

Sorry to reply on an old thread but I really think this needs bumping ;)

I just made this for tea and it was really good :p I made it with chicken and served it with rice (and veg for my 1/3 EE), it served 4 generously, will definitely be making it again thanks for the recipe! :D

Back