Low syn gravy??

Hi. I make my own gravy. It is syn free on EE and green not sure on red but think so, its made with mostly onions and stock. Hope this helps

Frylight
8 Onions (all white or half white half red)
2 cloves Garlic
800ml-1ltr stock (i normally use chicken bovril but beef/vegtable stock would work fine too)
Dash Balsamic Vinegar
Several Sprigs of Fresh Thyme (tastes much better than dried)
Black pepper

- Thinly slice onions, and crush the garlic then add both to a large saucepan with the frylight in and cook over a medium heat till they caramelize stiring occasionally (They may stick a little to the bottom of the pan but it shouldn't matter.
- Once the onions are caramelized add the Stock, Balsamic vinegar, pepper and the thyme leaves. (I remove the thyme leaves from their stalks).
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat so it just simmers and add a saucepan lid.
- Leave it to simmer for about an hour (it helps the flavours develop).
Once the hour is up I use a hand blender to CAREFULLY blitz the mixture till smooth (so it resembles gravy!) You can use a normal blender if you have one (so long as it is ok for hot liquids!) or if you do not need the gravy immeadiately let it cool then blitz when cold (and safer!) and reheat in saucepan when needed.
Couple of other points
- This makes quite a thick gravy (as that is how my family like it) But if you like yours more liquid then reduce the number of onions (anywhere from 2+ should be enough for the flavours) or you can add more stock and just make more!
-This freezes really well and can just be popped back into a saucepan to heat through before use if you want. So you can easily make it when you have time for use later.
Recipe is very similar to the French Onion Soup! Surprisingly my kids don't normally like gravy but they love this.

Hi I make the bovril up as stated on the jar, perhaps a little more water sometimes. You can always alter it to your own tastes if you find it too weak/strong after the 1st try!

For ease, Bisto do a pouch of "Pour Over" gravy which is low in Syns. The beef variety is just 2 Syns for the whole pouch :)

bisto-pour-over-beef-gravy-200g.jpg

i always make up a beef oxo cube and add smash a spoon at a time, thickens it up a treat! tastes just like normal gravy, family dont know the difference:)

I read it was a tweak so stopped using instant mash and mashed up a potato from my plate then blended in the stock cube (only 1 portion).

I just use bisto granules. 1.5 syn for 100ml made up as directed. No extra thick gravy for me now ;) x

Hi. I make my own gravy. It is syn free on EE and green not sure on red but think so, its made with mostly onions and stock. Hope this helps

Frylight
8 Onions (all white or half white half red)
2 cloves Garlic
800ml-1ltr stock (i normally use chicken bovril*but beef/vegtable stock would work fine too)
Dash Balsamic Vinegar
Several Sprigs of Fresh Thyme (tastes much*better than dried)
Black pepper

- Thinly slice onions, and crush the garlic then add both*to a large saucepan with the frylight in and cook over a medium heat till they caramelize stiring occasionally (They may stick a little to the bottom of the*pan but it shouldn't matter.
- Once the onions are*caramelized add the Stock, Balsamic vinegar, pepper*and the thyme leaves. (I remove the thyme leaves from their stalks).
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat so it just simmers and add a saucepan lid.
- Leave it to simmer for about an hour (it helps the flavours develop).
Once the hour is up I use a hand blender to CAREFULLY blitz the mixture till smooth (so it resembles gravy!) You can*use a normal blender if you have one (so long as it is ok for hot liquids!)*or if you do not need the gravy immeadiately let it cool then blitz when cold (and safer!) and reheat in saucepan when needed.
Couple of other points
-*This makes quite a thick gravy (as that is how my family like it) But if you like yours more liquid then reduce the number of onions (anywhere from 2+ should be enough for the flavours)*or you can*add more stock and just make more!
-This freezes really well and can just be popped back into a saucepan to heat through before use if you want. So you can easily make it when you have time for use later.
Recipe is very similar to the French Onion Soup! Surprisingly my kids don't normally like gravy but they love this.

Im going to try this the weekend sounds lovely

Back