maintenance with 5:2

On my fast days I'd take a ww chicken noodle soup (51kcals) and a pack of snack a jacks or 2 cracker breads (19kcals each) and a laughing cow light cheese triangle and a tomato. Very filling but not overly so. Thanks. I'm starting the insanity challenge after Xmas ( I love a challenge) and I will get the tshirt. Body fat is 26.6% and I'd love to get it to under 20%! Xxx

Can't take soup as no microwave - got sone weight watchers bread .2 slices 100 call 3 slices ham 50 . Guess apple 200 !

Think that's what I'll struggle with packed lunches

Thanks
Livvy

What about the pack slim a soups? Or a vegetable Boullion? Made up with boiled water. I use mfp to be exact. Because I weigh in tesco I do the body fat on there. Xxx

Or use one slice bread and just do an open topped sandwich to save on the kcals? The lowest cal bread I've found is 63kcals per slice. At 100kcals for 2 slices which one do you use? Xxx

You can calculate body fat on fit to fat radio (google gat to fit radio) and it has various calculators. BMR, body fat TDDE (total daily energy expenditure) which is what you would eat to lose weight at a steady pace without messing up your metabolism.

According to my measurements. I'm 24.64% but on the tesco scales I'm 26.6% still would live to be around 20% though. Thanks xxx

It's handy to have home scales. I bashed mine with a hammer on my birthday as they were dictating my mood. Now once a week at tesco :) hope you've had a lovely birthday xxx

I have Tanita scales that do body fat but I always forget how to use the BF function and I have get instructions put now and again!

Carrie just one question when you did the 5:2 on the non fast days from what I recall I think your calories didn't go over 1000? Is that about right or did it vary? I'm assuming you don't feel hungry and that 1000 calories is ok for you? I ask as on MFP there is always debate on whether the calorie intake shouldn't go below 1200 calories as it it too low.

It all so confusing at times!

Thanks ladies about the scales and I remember reading you smashed the scales lol .

Also good question about the calories really confusing

Livvy

I did have the odd day at around 1000 but mainly was between 1200 and 1400. I do find it difficult choosing foods now as some hidden kcals are shocking! I'm sure 2000kcals of junk are worse than 1000kcals of lean meat and protein. It's about finding a balance and I've never sat hungry not wanting to consume anything but also I've not consumed cals just for the sake of it to get them in. I listen to my body now. If I fancy a bit of choc ill have it but just a bit, I won't deprive myself of it as it will most always lead to a binge.

With the mfp thing, exante, Cambridge, LighterLife and many other vlcds are well below the 1200kcal mark with lighter life 530ish cals per day. That's a medically supervised diet I know but obviously it's not unhealthy to have long periods on such lie cals as the doctors would never consent. I've had 3 meals per day everyday.. Fast or non fast. Protein, carbs, vegetables and good fats everyday. Surely no one can say this is unhealthy? For every argument for eating a certain way there will be a valid argument for not... It's about finding what's sustainable for each individual.

What works for me won't work for everyone but after struggling with my weight going upto 16st and 1/2lb at my biggest Ive finally sussed how my mind and body work.

I started feeling conscious of my body at 13 years old and now at 33 I'm ginay where I want to be. It's only through my failings I've got to where I am today. Finally happy and confident.

By continuing to weigh weekly I can keep an eye on my weight. If it goes up I can add another fast or reduce cals and if it continues to drop, I can increase cals. One things for sure I finally done it! My own personal goal was achieved by me and only me. I've ate healthily and exercised to get here and this last stone has been the longest part of my journey but I've learnt.

Next stage for me is the insanity 60 day challenge... Can't wait! Xxx

Last edited:
I did have the odd day at around 1000 but mainly was between 1200 and 1400. I do find it difficult choosing foods now as some hidden kcals are shocking! I'm sure 2000kcals of junk are worse than 1000kcals of lean meat and protein. It's about finding a balance and I've never sat hungry not wanting to consume anything but also I've not consumed cals just for the sake of it to get them in. I listen to my body now. If I fancy a bit of choc ill have it but just a bit, I won't deprive myself of it as it will most always lead to a binge. With the mfp thing, exante, Cambridge, LighterLife and many other vlcds are well below the 1200kcal mark with lighter life 530ish cals per day. That's a medically supervised diet I know but obviously it's not unhealthy to have long periods on such lie cals as the doctors would never consent. I've had 3 meals per day everyday.. Fast or non fast. Protein, carbs, vegetables and good fats everyday. Surely no one can say this is unhealthy? For every argument for eating a certain way there will be a valid argument for not... It's about finding what's sustainable for each individual. What works for me won't work for everyone but after struggling with my weight going upto 16st and 1/2lb at my biggest Ive finally sussed how my mind and body work. I started feeling conscious of my body at 13 years old and now at 33 I'm ginay where I want to be. It's only through my failings I've got to where I am today. Finally happy and confident. By continuing to weigh weekly I can keep an eye on my weight. If it goes up I can add another fast or reduce cals and if it continues to drop, I can increase cals. One things for sure I finally done it! My own personal goal was achieved by me and only me. I've ate healthily and exercised to get here and this last stone has been the longest part of my journey but I've learnt. Next stage for me is the insanity 60 day challenge... Can't wait! Xxx

Well said Carrie! X

Carrie thank you so much for your insightful and extremely helpful post! For me it is this last stone that I've struggled with for months! I keep losing and gaining the same 3 pounds!! Whilst it is great practice for maintenance is frustrating.

I know what I need to do is to "commit" to losing weight and crack on with it! I will re-read your diary thread again and put in place a plan of action that I can and will follow through.

Fast day today and finished on 494kcals. Had 1 slice toast and 15g strawberry jam ( 98kcals) for breakfast baxters garden veg soup ( 102kcals) 1 tomato cup a soup, 1 slice Kingsmill 50/50 35g mixed salad, 70g cooked chicken and 12.5g sweet chilli sauce. ( done like an open topped sandwich ( 294kcals) done my tae bo as well today. Drank 1litre water and 2 large mugs coffee... :) good fast day done! Xxx

Back