maintenance with 5:2

Very hungry today.... Very very hungry Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I was famished today. Just couldn't stick to 800.

Final tally 1100. Disappointed but I still exercised more than that and every single calorie was healthy decent food. Still annoyed though!

I'm often hungry on a weds after 2 800 cal fast days. Hopefully BAU tomorrow :)

Naughty food day. I blame being off with hubby. Fast tomorrow and food shop tomorrow night. Loadsa fruit n veggies needed. Pilates was changed to another hall so when I realised I couldn't get there I done shred and 30 mins power hoop, also done abs n squats earlier too xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Looking round the boards seems like everyone was hungry today! I really think there's something in the Wednesday thing - as in 2 very good low cal days then HUNGER!! Suppose I should be grateful. This time last week (or tues) I was eating a 4 pack of Middle sized pork pies!!!!

I was thinking the same. As much as my mon tues weren't back to back as yesterday was 811... I felt fine ( no hungrier than usual ) till the greggs and coke zero. Honestly I'm wondering if there's a link as the past few weeks I've not had much diet juice except the diet lemonade in my rose wine on sat night... Odd? Maybe just a coincidence but odd... Lol. Not gonna have diet drinks to see if it did trigger the choc cravings xxx

Carrie, ladies I've a question which you may have answered before (as I may have asked before). I have a friend who started 5:2 from November 2012 and by end March 2013 she'd lost over 3st from size 14 to an 8/10 and has maintained ever since doing 5:2 or 6:1. She says she never counted calories on her non fast days and swears she still eats loads on non fast days. I'm simply not convinced that she's really being honest as from I've read here and on 5:2 non fast days involve some degree of control and/or reduction of calories?

I'm just frustrated because when I try do discuss it with her she reels off what she's eaten on a non fast days which sounds way over 2000 calories and says she can eat pastries have wine etc but if that were the case I would though I would've lost weight when I've done vlcd on and in between eating days over last few weeks and I simlly haven't.

what I'm asking is do you think I've a competitive friend who simply doesn't really want to share she method of success on5:2?

I don't know if she's a competitive friend but it sounds to me she's making it sound far too good to be true. I know some people have had success without counting on non fast days but some control is needed. It's 3 x main meals and 1 or 2 snax it's not constant eating as there's no way anyone could do that 6 x per day and fast 1 and maintain especially if they had lost lots with only one extra fast.

She maybe does eat all the things she says but I doubt all in the same day.

That's only my opinion though. She could be a medical marvel lol. Xxx

Agree with Carrie. I also think overtime regular fasting changes you and the way you see food. I believe gradually, you naturally eat less. Portion sizes on normal days get a bit smaller and I think you appreciate your food on up days way more and plan them out when you're on the fast days. So you might not calorie count but it's amazing how you can naturally reduce calories by 500 doing those things.

And like C said - it's amazing how many people out there are competitive and never want you to lose weight.

I'm think the point of the 5:2 is that the two strict fast days buys you 2-3k calorie deficit depending on your weight. If you then do 4 normal days where you eat healthily - say 1500 cals if your BMR is 2000 you can add 2000 to that pot. Add in 3 * 400 calorie workouts and you've got a calorie saving of around 6k or 1.5lbs a week. On the 7th day even if you have a take away and a bottle of wine and eat 3000 calories you'd still have a net saving on the week of 5000.

That's why I think less people "fall off the wagon" with 5:2. It's not a diet. It's a way to eat for the rest of your life. It's just whether you can hack the fast. If you can, it's a no brained for me.

Sorry - I'm a mathematician, my whole life is numbers :-(

Thanks ladies that's really helpful. Apart from the scienctific element of 5:2 essentially from a mathematical approach is that the overall calorie deficit one would have in a week would trigger a weight loss. That is what I thought and I think my friend either doesn't want to share honestly how she achieved it or just does it as a way of live and in,y really occasionally indulges.
I did get a little upset as she went in about how much she at at the weekend and couldn't stop eating and when I pointed out she was still a size 8 and has maintained for two years she still didn't back down and say she is mindful on non fast days of what she eats - I found it disingenuineous particularly since she sat and asked me why I wasn't having chips after I'd said I'd I over indulged recently which is evidenced by my current size!

lT hasn't out me off giving 5:2 a serious go once I've shifted the bulk of weight on vlcd I just know it will require planning to allow for the odd indulgence day. Thank you!

And that's the key I think kira - if you are having a cheat day plan it out. You don't want to waste it! I used to waste it on u satisfying relentless picking but now I plan it I always plan and have enough for a takeaway and gorgeous higher cal breakfasts. I look forward to Saturday's food all week long :)

How long has it taken you to Blondcat to reach your current weight? Has it all been on 5:2 variation that shows on your stats? You've done really well!

How long has it taken you to Blondcat to reach your current weight? Has it all been on 5:2 variation that shows on your stats? You've done really well!

So:

- Nov 2013 - 12 stone. Never exercised never really been on a diet. Was a size 10 and 9.5stone until I was 30. Took 3.5 years in London to put on 2.5stone. Started a bit of exercise which was totally abandoned in December. Started again in January 2014.

- March 2014 - 11st 6 lost through exercise, no diet changes. Official Nuffield health check showed I was overweight, too much body fat %, low level of fitness

- June 2014 - start my diary on mini mins weighing 10st 6. Working out moderately, still unbelievable binges 3 days a week, fast days twice a week

- Sep 2014 - 9st 2 - was at this weight for ages and ages. Exercising 4 days a week, still binging 3 days a week.

- nov 2014 - 8st 13 - was there for a week then spent the next 6 weeks until jan 3rd partying. I literally had about 6 nights in during that whole 8week period plus I had a business trip and 2 holidays.

- jan 2015 - 9st 13.5. Lots of exercise, fasting couple of days, still ridiculous 3 day binging. Give up sugar for 21 days end month at 9st 9

- feb - 12 nights out and two weeks on business to Hong Kong. Gained a pound - 9st 10

- March - first weigh in and lost 2 lbs. 9st 8.

Basically if I could have got a grip on my weekend binging a year ago I would have been at goal weight summer of last year. But it's been a tough battle. I finally feel like I've cracked it by giving myself 6000 calories over fri, sat and sun (only if I do 3000 cals of exercise). That way I can plan my take away etc and not feel deprived and thus not feel the need to binge.

I hope I've cracked it anyway. Done 2 weekends so far using this method :)

Planning ahead and limiting intake the rest of time seems be to be the answer for whichever method or health benefits one gets. Thanks for sharing.

Yesterday I was really low, upset, sad and I still don't know why. Ended up finishing on 850cals. Feeling so strange and not like myself at all. :(

Yesterday I was really low, upset, sad and I still don't know why. Ended up finishing on 850cals. Feeling so strange and not like myself at all. :( Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I have really weird days like that where I have that feeling that something's not right. Usually wake up the next day feeling fine! Hope that happens to you :)

Decided on a tdee day with no morning cardio. I'm just exhausted. I'm on my feet all day at work, running up and down stairs, yesterday from my morning sit with coffee 6:30-7am, my bum didn't touch a seat again till 6:30pm and I'm just not in the frame of mind. I really don't know what's up but I feel like I just need a lazy day but with work and kids I just never have a proper rest day. I always feel guilty if I sit down. Feeling on the verge of tears and it's really making me angry. Which isn't helping in the long run.

Why can't I just be happy xxx

Right Mrs I prescribe a nice day of food eating what you fancy, snuggles with Mr tonight & a big glass of wine. Are you putting too much pressure on yourself? You are simply beautiful & look fantastic & although we don't know what our scales currently weigh I am sure you will weigh something absolutely perfect. Massive hugs & stop beating yourself up xx

Morning my lovely friend I really hope you feel better soon as I always tell you you have 3 boys who adore you!!
you are there world they all love the bones of you!!
I think today's plan is sensible take the pressure off yourself you don't take time out for you which is probably exactly what you need right now thank god it's Friday and you can have a nice weekend break away from work too hope the way your feeling shifts quickly you really are doing amazing Carrie Xxx

You guys are so lovely. I feel on the verge of cracking up. Just get through today then I can chill out I hope .

I hope you don't mind me commenting but from an outsiders perspective it just seems you put an awful awful lot of pressure on yourself to be perfect all the time, and with what sounds like a v busy life, that's just not possible all the time.

I'm also not really sure why you're pressuring yourself to lose more weight when you already look absolutely phenomenal and are super toned - your arms and abs are amazing! I know we all have a 'number' in mind and above that we don't feel like we're 'there yet' but believe me when I say you look like you're definitely there! You're totally gorgeous and I genuinely wouldn't say that if I didn't believe it as I don't think it's fair to tell people they look perfect already if they've still got a way to go.

I've been doing a ton of research on exercise lately as I've just finished an VLCD (including all the stabilisation) and am working out how to maintain and it really seems like too much can be counterproductive. Any more than a hour of moderate exercise 5 times a week is known to suppress your immune system and mess up your hormones and anything high intensity (which it sounds like you really do) ends up in the release of stress hormones. You probably already know all this, and I might be out of line suggesting it, but could you perhaps realign your goal to be exercise 5 times a week and treat your 2 rest days like your fast days; you don't love doing them, but they're necessary to keep you happy and healthy?

Apologies I'm if crossing the line and commenting when I don't really know you but as I said, from an outside perspective you're already where you need to be physically as you look stunning, and I just think if you saw someone else feeling the same pressure you're putting on yourself you might stay the same thing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. And your post really did provide some comfort. I know I'm too hard on myself and I agree if it was someone else I'd be offering wise words, and telling them to be kind to themselves. I'm struggling because I can't pin point exactly why I'm feeling so low. My calories are fine, I don't feel outta control, I'm not over exercising which I've been really guilty of in the past. Work is tough ( that's not unusual though ) and the children are so settled. And of course
Still truly madly deeply in love with hubby so why? It doesn't make sense. The more I try to look for a reason the worse I'm feeling cause thee is none. If I could sleep for the weekend I would. Xxx

Back