Making free soup

lafemme

Hi

Am making some soups this weekend - prior to starting SW healthy eating I always used normal Vegetable Stock. Are Veg Stock cubes free or do I need to be buying something else :confused:

I also like soups with Chicken Stock cubes but I am assuming these are not free - or are they on an Original day?

Thanks

Hi lafemme, I'm afraid stock cubes have a points value, but you can make stock using beef/chicken bovril which is free and tastes lovely in homemade soups. x

Do you Bovril do chicken stock too? Great I did'nt know that, that's something else to put on my shopping list, thanks for the info.

The jar of chicken bovril is really difficult to find. I don't think any of my local stores, even the big ones, stock it.

I also found the jars quite expensive so usually just use stock cubes, most of which are only 1.5 syns although the OXO cubes are 0.5/1.0 syns.

I buy the chicken bovril in a jar from Asda if there is one near you, although mine is a superstore so sells 20 varieties of everything lol.

:break_diet: This is my one real cheat. The chicken bovril is so expensive and hard to find that I use the cubes, and I don't syn them! :eek: There! I've got it off my chest!

Reactions: Taz
Judi, I can see your halo shining from here!!!! Well done on 'fessin' up, LOL..

I don't think I have ever seen Chicken Bovril, that's why I was surprised to hear about it.

Thank you squiddie I'll remember that, I usually buy Marmite because it's easier to spread on my toast (not so runny) plus I love an oxo drink too, so in future it will be original Bovril in the jar for me for me.

Anyone got a recipe for a free chicken soup? I would use Quorn chicken pieces and can you freeze it?

if you use fresh quorn then you can freeze it.
because quorn is made of myo protein (ie its mushroom) in theory you can re freeze after cooking, although im not sure id risk it...
could you not cook your soup freeze then add quorn after? the flavour it adds will be minamal due to its quite subtle flavours to start with?
caramalize your onions and leeks for a masive falavout boost then add other veg (corn, peas, carrots etc. and cook slowly - that would be my advice to you.)
if you do use quorn and freeze it let me know how it goes, im always ready for new experiences,;)

I cook and freeze corn anyway when I do curry, bolognese, cottage pie etc so I'm sure it would be ok. So how do you actually make the soup?

what sort of soup do you want to make?
scotch broth, french onion, carrot and corriander, leek and potato...
soups are, dont forget, peasant food, they were a way of making leftovers into another meal, soupa can be anything you want them to be (yes, im a soup addict *hangs head in shame*)
my fav is leek and potato, with natural low fat yogurt to give it some creaminess, otherwise try a veg and pulse based soup which is very filling.
even is a soup addict, i wouldnt contimplate soup in this weather, unless you are doing gazpachio (tomato based spanish chilled soup)
have fun

I love vegetable soup, I just chop up as many free veggies as I have and add stock (which will be bovril from now on) simmer until the veg is soft and there you go.....sometimes I 'blitz' it with a stick whisk and other times I leave it chunky, either way its free and really satisfying.

I would love a recipie for leek & potato soup if anyone has one i can try? Free or low syn if poss, thanks :)

Back