Marathon training.. Me?..Really??

chiefbridesmaid

Silver Member
Hey guys,

I have been truly inspired by my sisters brother-in-law, last year he lost 5st with WW and trained for the marathon in just a few months. To see what he achieved is just amazing and something I want to feel and do so...

Anyway I'm just putting it out there ( so I can't back out of it lol) that I am starting my training for the Dublin Marathon in October, so 39 weeks and I hopefully will be able to finish the marathon!( I quite literally would be happy with a 6 hour time)

I havnt told my family tho, I said I'm just training for 10k etc because i don't want to look like a failure if I'm not able to do it ?

It's going to be so tough but like my SW journey, I took it half a stone at a time, and I'm already at 3st, 2.5lbs so I shall run (apparently on the treadmill until weather gets better) by time at first, then start battling miles! I can already run 20-25mins non-stop. So first race is in 3 weeks which is a 5k and next is the Great Ireland Run in April to focus on eek.

Fingers crossed I can find the inner motivation for this guys!!! Has anyone got similar goals or has started running lately??

Well done for starting! I'm running a half marathon in May and I'm currently just trying to run on a regular basis!

Excellent, have you got a training plan you are going to be following?

Running is my #1 hobby. It is what I do, think about, talk about, and read about most of the day :D

Good luck.

My friend did it with 6 months of training, after starting from beginner level. I would suggest joining a running club if you have one nearby, as they do different types of training to help build strength and stamina.

I'm just building my mileage up slowly. I've never run a half before so I just want to finish!!

Yeah, I've just registered for parkrun. They do one not too far from my house so it's a good way to make sure you get out on a Saturday morning!!

Yeah, I've just registered for parkrun. They do one not too far from my house so it's a good way to make sure you get out on a Saturday morning!!

Every week I used to sit there half asleep eating my porridge, and I'd PROMISE myself I could go back to bed when I came back from parkrun.

To this day, I have never gone back to bed after parkrun, afterwards I feel great and I think it is a very good and positive start to the weekend!

Which one do you do?? The nearest one to me is Leeds Hyde Park.

Wow we have some motivated people on here :) ok so since this morning I have got me a running buddy who has the same sort of goals as me, and we are joining a beginners running group this week to get us into the groove.. I'm very excited, so much more fun then running alone with stupid thoughts rolling around in my head driving me crazy!!!

JemmaBe said:
Excellent, have you got a training plan you are going to be following?

Running is my #1 hobby. It is what I do, think about, talk about, and read about most of the day :D

Wow I want to love it lol I think me and running might have a rocky relationship tho, Its lust at the moment.. Hopefully love will come later ?

I used to go running with my dad and it is so much better with someone else. I find if i do it alone i'm lucky if I even go out, let alone push myself as hard as I could, or even stick at it for long! Basically i'm rubbish on my own!!

Well done.

It is so good to have a target to aim for.

I'm glad I've found this thread! I'm doing a 10km run in Manchester (I think anyway they haven't sent any information yet and it's in May!) and also doing the Great North Run (half marathon - 13miles).

I did the Great North Run last year too in September, it was very hard and I'd only been in the country for 2 days cos i'd been on a 3 week bender holiday with my friends! I struggled, A LOT, and cried the whole last mile lmao! My goal was to just finish it and I did, and it's the best feeling I've actually ever felt. You feel so inspired when you see who everyone's running for and some have their story's written on their back and I think that's what mostly got me through it!

I'm back running (or should i say slowly jogging) again. I've put on a lot of weight over xmas (had NO idea how much i actually put on). So when i'm out jogging it feels like i'm suffocating! It's like i'm starting from scratch again which is frustrating. I am a big girl (16st 7lbs atm) and i always have been but i'm not letting this stop me.

My progress is slow but sure anyway, just came back from doing about 2.2 miles, went 1.1 mile without stopping and done it in about 14 mins. I'm not bothered about time though I just want to be able to run more and walk less for the 10km one.

My progress is slow but sure anyway, just came back from doing about 2.2 miles, went 1.1 mile without stopping and done it in about 14 mins. I'm not bothered about time though I just want to be able to run more and walk less for the 10km one.

Same here! I have been power walking everywhere over the last 4 months but decided to push myself and jogged just over a mile without stopping. I haven't jogged in 10 years so it's a massive achievement for me. I am going to increase it by half a mile each week and see how I get on. Well done for doing it too! xx

And OP good luck!! xx

Back