Mashed swede obsession!!

Lisaberry

Silver Member
I have a major problem, I am obsessed with mashed swede!!!!
I have it every day with my tea without fail!!!
I buy the ready chopped stuff that you can just nuke and then blitz but it means I have to go to Tesco every 2 days as it doesn't last longer.

I have tried the ready frozen swede but find it too watery. I was wondering if anyone had frozen the fresh stuff and if it cooks ok after?

I cant eat mash potato anymore, it tastes horrid compared to my swede!!

Lol...you could have a worse obsession Hun!!

If you prep the fresh swede and then freeze it, its ok, not fantastic, but alright. The only thing I have found is that if you cook it in a stew and then freeze it, its rank!

If you buy whole swedes they'll easily last a week or so in the fridge - and be MUCH cheaper. x

Nope, cant live with not fantastic!! Shame about the amount of salt I put in it!!

If you buy whole swedes they'll easily last a week or so in the fridge - and be MUCH cheaper. x

You should see me trying to cut up a swede....my fingers go on strike for their own safety!!!!

Hooray for the mashed swede fans!!!!! The prepared stuff is cheaper than it used to be. It was £1 a 500g bag but its now only 50p!

I even have it with bol instead of spag...fab with quorn sausages and gravy.....brill with casseroles, fab with smoked cod.....pukka with curry instead of rice....see OBSESSION!!

Take your entire whole swede, and put it in the microwave for about 10 - 15 mins depending on the size.

No, Seriously. Don't peel it. Don't even really need to prick it, but you can if you like. Full power. Feel it after it's been cooking for a bit and you'll see that it'll start to get all squidgy. It'll also get oozy with the juices so might make a bit of a mess, but that's ok by me.

When it's squidgy enough for you, take it out (be careful, hot! Use a tea towel) then plonk it on a chopping board. Cut the bad boy in half across it's equator, then scoop out all the amazingly cooked swedey goodness.

In my group we call it "magic swede". Cheap, easier than chopping it when raw, and you get loads for your efforts.

No idea about freezing though, sorry! xxx

Oh that sounds good, what if mines already cut in half? Does this still work? I bought hald a swede in tesco :) I want to have mashed swede with my meatballs tonight! Yummy!! Do you need to add anything to it?

swede (from Swedish turnip), or yellow turnip (Brassica napobrassica, or Brassica napus var. napobrassica) is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip. Its leaves can also be eaten as a leaf vegetable.

Technical term lol its yummy and a good replacement for potatoes

Wow, love the cooking tip!! Will def try that!

I always just add salt and pepper to mine, no need for butter!

I have been known to have just a plate of swede and gravy for tea, mmmmmmmmmm!!!

Take your entire whole swede, and put it in the microwave for about 10 - 15 mins depending on the size.

No, Seriously. Don't peel it. Don't even really need to prick it, but you can if you like. Full power. Feel it after it's been cooking for a bit and you'll see that it'll start to get all squidgy. It'll also get oozy with the juices so might make a bit of a mess, but that's ok by me.

When it's squidgy enough for you, take it out (be careful, hot! Use a tea towel) then plonk it on a chopping board. Cut the bad boy in half across it's equator, then scoop out all the amazingly cooked swedey goodness.

In my group we call it "magic swede". Cheap, easier than chopping it when raw, and you get loads for your efforts.

No idea about freezing though, sorry! xxx
Oh def going to try this, do u think it would work with BNS?

It works with BNS, I think I have an obsession with BNS. I have it with everything (almost). Bought 2 in Sainsbury's the other day that were huge. The shop assistant commented that one was the size of a baby:eek:, it actually weighed almose 3kg.

Back