Maths tuition!

10st10lbs

Gold Member
Hey guys... Wanted your help to see if this is a good idea?

I've always been rather maths-y (except at sixth form, I did one year and got a D so gave it up for good - or so I thought...) so I've recently been thinking about offering tuition for 11+/SATs/GCSEs... For the 11+ I'd love to teach everything but just maths and statistics for the other two.

I've advertised my services (lol) on Gumtree and I've been sending out messages to family and friends asking them to pass my number on to anyone who may be looking for a tutor, but no such luck as of yet :( I saw someone who advertised online tuition, ie they take payment through PayPal, and then Skype with the child to teach them whatever they would if they were doing it in person. I guess it opens up a wider client base but do you guys reckon it would be a good idea? Would any of you go for it? Is anyone interested in being my first client?!

I got high As in maths and statistics at GCSE and am doing an Accounting & Finance degree now, I'm in my second year, passed my first year with a first :D But :sigh: it doesn't look like my idea is going anywhere... I really need something to take off for me, money is tight and tensions are high :(

Ali xxx

My hub was thinking about doing something similar. He's ACA qualified and was offered the facilities of a local college at weekends where he was planning to teach A Level students. In the end he decided against it because of the effort required and the regulations around it.

I think it's a good idea to advertise online as much as you can. You can also try local newspapers, Facebook, Internet forums ect.

I don't have any kids and hate maths so unfortunately I can't help you out by being your first client ;)

Inshallah you'll get some clients soon :)

Hi I tutor biology but I teach it as a subject. If you google online tutors there are loads of websites. But, loads of people ask me if I have enhanced disclosure for working with children and young adults. U can apply for this tho. Just make sure you have good curricular knowledge and your name will advertise It's self when someone recommends you!
Good luck- pm me if you need any help!!

I think you gotta be careful, if you aren't CRB checked lots of people won't use you, plus exam season is AGES away, so there might not much uptake at this point. I suggest you get yourself into a local school and see if you can advertise there, also lots of schools have money in a pot for 1:1 math tuition which will be covered by their teachers, so that may also lead to decreased uptake...

Hey guys... Wanted your help to see if this is a good idea?

I've always been rather maths-y (except at sixth form, I did one year and got a D so gave it up for good - or so I thought...) so I've recently been thinking about offering tuition for 11+/SATs/GCSEs... For the 11+ I'd love to teach everything but just maths and statistics for the other two.

I've advertised my services (lol) on Gumtree and I've been sending out messages to family and friends asking them to pass my number on to anyone who may be looking for a tutor, but no such luck as of yet :( I saw someone who advertised online tuition, ie they take payment through PayPal, and then with the child to teach them whatever they would if they were doing it in person. I guess it opens up a wider client base but do you guys reckon it would be a good idea? Would any of you go for it? Is anyone interested in being my first client?!

I got high As in maths and statistics at GCSE and am doing an Accounting & Finance degree now, I'm in my second year, passed my first year with a first :D But :sigh: it doesn't look like my idea is going anywhere... I really need something to take off for me, money is tight and tensions are high :(

Ali xxx

I do this! :) I did a year on Maths at uni (after completing the A level!) but haven't got any degree-level qualifications for maths...

I went on Private Tutors, Private Tuition, Home Tutors & Home Tuition and registered as a tutor on there... I managed to get a couple of tutees through that (they preferred me to more qualified tutors as I offered one-on-one tuition in person, rather than skype - just as a bit of advice!)

If you want to know anything else, just let me know :)

Good luck with it - it's a very rewarding job!

Meant to say as prelims and exams are just around the corner and most schools off a fare but in April, loads of ppl are looking for tutors so keep your ear to the ground!

The above posts ate right about the criminal check.. It's better to be safe than sorry and it does put parents far more at ease! If you can yet references too then you can charge more, especially if they are positive!

I would think advertising in places the parents would see would be more beneficial than Gumtree. How about ad cards on noticeboards in shops, community centres etc? The more advertising you do, the more business it'll get you.

netmums would be a very good place for you to advertise! on your local one's noticeboard. on mine there are often people asking for tutors.

You could advertise in the local newspapers.

Years ago I used to tutor GCSE Maths and loved it. I was registered with a local tutoring bureau so never advertised myself.

Irene xx

Last edited:
My hub was thinking about doing something similar. He's ACA qualified and was offered the facilities of a local college at weekends where he was planning to teach A Level students. In the end he decided against it because of the effort required and the regulations around it.

I think it's a good idea to advertise online as much as you can. You can also try local newspapers, Facebook, Internet forums ect.

I don't have any kids and hate maths so unfortunately I can't help you out by being your first client ;)

Inshallah you'll get some clients soon :)

Thanks hun, I went in to speak to a teacher at my high school today, didn't manage to catch her but the receptionist told me the school did 1:1 tutoring last year for the girls, but lost funding.

I wonder if I'm allowed to advertise on here :p or does this count as an advert? Lol :)

Thanks for all your help! InshaAllah, otherwise I'll have to get a real job in the big bad world :( just kidding, I just can't seem to find a job... it's like they see my name on an application and it goes straight into the bin :( xxx

Hi I tutor biology but I teach it as a subject. If you google online tutors there are loads of websites. But, loads of people ask me if I have enhanced disclosure for working with children and young adults. U can apply for this tho. Just make sure you have good curricular knowledge and your name will advertise It's self when someone recommends you!
Good luck- pm me if you need any help!!

Hi, thanks for your help! I guess I do just have to wait for the first person to come along, then hope it all goes well from there :) xxx

I think you gotta be careful, if you aren't CRB checked lots of people won't use you, plus exam season is AGES away, so there might not much uptake at this point. I suggest you get yourself into a local school and see if you can advertise there, also lots of schools have money in a pot for 1:1 math tuition which will be covered by their teachers, so that may also lead to decreased uptake...

Hey Shrimpy, I had a CRB check done when I was applying for Physiotherapy at a uni in London, I don't mind having another one done but just hoping to get into tutoring kids of family and friends at the moment, they know I'm sensible! I did have a talk with someone at my high school who said the school just lost funding for 1:1 maths tuition, unfortunately for me :( But it's worth going in again and having another talk with them, even if they would just be OK passing my number on to parents of kids who they think could do with a bit of maths help... xxx

I do this! :) I did a year on Maths at uni (after completing the A level!) but haven't got any degree-level qualifications for maths...

I went on Private Tutors, Private Tuition, Home Tutors & Home Tuition and registered as a tutor on there... I managed to get a couple of tutees through that (they preferred me to more qualified tutors as I offered one-on-one tuition in person, rather than skype - just as a bit of advice!)

If you want to know anything else, just let me know :)

Good luck with it - it's a very rewarding job!

Thank youuuuuu!! I have registered on there! Tried to do it last night from my phone but it decided to disconnect from the internet when I was on the last screen - that's just the way it is! I have been back on it today and had a look at some of the tutors in my area, only a few have reviews so hoping I have something in my ad to stand out from the rest :) xxx

I would think advertising in places the parents would see would be more beneficial than Gumtree. How about ad cards on noticeboards in shops, community centres etc? The more advertising you do, the more business it'll get you.

Definitely! I printed out a couple of fliers to put up around uni (there are a lot of older parents at my campus) but didn't get a chance to put them up. I may try and stick a few up around my local area, wonder if a few of the newsagents wouldn't mind me putting a card in the window :) Thanks for the idea! xxx

Back