Meals for one... ideas please!

mrsbroadside

Hi, having separated from my husband a few months ago, i am now living on my own and have been surviving on meals with friends and good old pasta n sauce and jacket potatoes. But i would like some more inspiration as to what else I could cook.

I've started making two portions of meals and freezing the other portion (Chilli, curry) and i'm currently making a potato and broccoli bake from an old magazine.

Has anyone else got any ideas for meals, snacks or puds I could make either for myself or to freeze? oh and cheap would be best, separation is not fun financially!

Ali

Hi Hun, sorry to hear about your seperation. I've been there and it sucks. Hope you're doing okay.

As for meals for one..... I had a lot of jacket spuds. Bit boring I know, but no waste and I do love them.

Risotto is good, freezes well and is cheap esp if you do a veggie one like with frozen peas and broad beans.

I'm a big fan of eggs, chips and beans too, this is good when on your own as you just do the chips you need (or make extra and freeze) or chicken/gammon/steak with potato wedges.

Or make anything from the mag/cook books in half quantities so it serves 2 and freeze the other one.

Hope this helps. xx

Im sorry to hear about your separation too.

Jaylou has given you some really good ideas there. I only cook for one too as Hubby wont eat anything remotely healthy, so evening meals are just for me.
Can I suggest you have a look at my food diary to give you some ideas? Just because you are on a healthy eating plan doesnt mean that you have to choose expensive things.

Take care

Kerry-Ann
xx

Thanks for both of your ideas, I've been reading about making frozen SW chips and I think thats another day filled!!

My potato and brocolli bake has made 4 portions so thats filled a big gap in the freezer.

Can I freeze chow mein do you think?

I have done in the past. You could either just par-cook the noodles rather than fully cook them, then add them frozen to whatever meal you are making with them, or boil them from frozen again after.

i had the best lunch the other day had some smallish potatoes in the fridge so banged them in the oven and when they were done i made up 2 packets of mugshots and put them on it was lovely - i thnk personally better than pasta and sauce as these are made to be made up with water

Hi Ali

I am sorry to hear about your separation

I find i do the same alot of the time where i cook one for dinner that night and have one left over (i use mine mainly for lunches at work).

I really enjoy making Roast Vegetables - Potatoes, courgettes, peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes are my fave seasoned with just salt and pepper. I usually eat this with a chicken breast wrapped in bacon (fat removed) or even a piece of fish.

There are alot of quite simple recipes in the SW magazine, nice pasta dishes that are easily split and could be warmed up the next day too.

I found a tortilla in there with eggs, peppers, onions and tiny chopped potatoes which was really quick and easy, cut into squares and great as a late afternoon snack as and when you fancy it

Take care :)

Kate x

hello and big hugs
good for you having the motivation to continue cooking. I love experimenting with stir frys of various guises and use whatever combinations i like (no one to moan)xx

Back