Messing about on the water - Norfolk Broads

Maximus

Gold Member
By Broads, I do not mean some kind of American slang word for ladies by the way;)

Having had a couple of visits to Florida this year (one gone, oneto go) I'm hiring a cruiser next year for a week on the broads. Did this previously a year or two back and it was so relaxing!

Maximum speed is 6mph - restricted to 3mph in parts (I can actually walk faster - though even I haven't quite mastered the walking on water bit, but I will!)

Such a relaxing holiday, cruising the broads, sleeping in the middle of a large expanse of water, mooring up at country pubs for a drink/pub meal and generally watching the world go by.

A perfectly English lazy relaxing experience. I have found so many people say it was something they always fancied doing, but never got around to doing it.

Well I did in October 2009, and will be repeating it next year.

Has anyone else smabled the delights of the broads, or even narrowboats/canals?

Captain Steve

Aye Aye Captin! Ive never been on a boat down the broads but dont live far from there so have visited a few times on day trips etc. Its so lovely and relaxing! You will have an amazing time i'm sure :) x

By far the best holiday i have ever been on!!! went last year and am going again for a week in july. Hired a 4-6 berth cruiser again this year and cant wait.Your right steve its soooooooooo relaxing, having a drink moored outside a country pub and a nice evening meal watching our son attempting to catch fish off the boat. Bloooomin marvelous

I agree Steve. It is a brilliant holiday.

I did it years ago and loved the whole experience.

My late brother had a long boat, lovingly restored to it's barge days, and Paul and I have spent some wonderful holidays with bro and his wife exploring the canal ways of England.

Can recommend it to anyone.

Had a weekend canal boating on the Kennet and Avon a couple of weeks ago, and while I did enjoy it I dont necessarily find it 100% relaxing. Luckily, we have a friend who is happy to take charge and do most of the driving - without her I would have come home a wreck! I did a little bit of steering but got her to take over as soon as we came to a bit of a corner!

Relaxing??? You've locks to negotiate, you have to find somewhere to moor up and park the thing (not easy when everywhere is busy), you have to hammer in mooring pins and rely on a few bits of mooring rope stopping you drifting off every time you want lunch/pub/sleep, you've got to turn the blooming thing around at some point, (10 of us so we had to manoevure a 69 foot behemoth!!!) and you have to time it so that you have enough time to get where you are going and back before you run out of time.

And the time we stopped for lunch at a pub, then got marooned on the bank because someone had left the lock open so that the water level dropped about 2 ft - that bit certainly wasnt relaxing!

I did enjoy it, but found it more difficult than I imagined and I'm still amazed that any bunch of amatuers (stag dos especially) are allowed to hire these things out with very little instruction

Had a weekend canal boating on the Kennet and Avon a couple of weeks ago, and while I did enjoy it I dont necessarily find it 100% relaxing. Luckily, we have a friend who is happy to take charge and do most of the driving - without her I would have come home a wreck! I did a little bit of steering but got her to take over as soon as we came to a bit of a corner!

Relaxing??? You've locks to negotiate, you have to find somewhere to moor up and park the thing (not easy when everywhere is busy), you have to hammer in mooring pins and rely on a few bits of mooring rope stopping you drifting off every time you want lunch/pub/sleep, you've got to turn the blooming thing around at some point, (10 of us so we had to manoevure a 69 foot behemoth!!!) and you have to time it so that you have enough time to get where you are going and back before you run out of time.

And the time we stopped for lunch at a pub, then got marooned on the bank because someone had left the lock open so that the water level dropped about 2 ft - that bit certainly wasnt relaxing!

I did enjoy it, but found it more difficult than I imagined and I'm still amazed that any bunch of amatuers (stag dos especially) are allowed to hire these things out with very little instruction

How strange that we all see things so differently

There were 7 of us and we found all of it great fun and made most things into a giggle.

Docking outside a pub was hazardous but only because we had one captain and 6 mates all giving instructions. We laughed such a lot.
We even risked Great Yarmouth. Now that was a bit scary.

I really do not remember it being anything other than relaxing and a great experience with good friends.

I live a few miles away from the broads and try to hire a boat a few times a year, stopping off at several pubs enroute aswell. It's lovely walking and cycling around the broads, hope you have a brilliant time! x

THis is why I recommend the Norfolk Broads over the canals of GB.

There are no locks to negotiate - excellent!

I sailed on a Fine Gem out of Stalham (Richardson's Boat Yard) and will sail again from there on a bigger boat next time. It is great sailing under the bridges and Potter Heigham and Wroxham, as well as sleeping in the middle of a huge broad isolated and held time by a mudweight (anchor).

Mooring up at the town/village of Acle outside the pub is fantastic (Is it the Bridge inn?) - it also amazes me navgating the broads with a glass of something in your hand as it is acceptable to drink and drive (so long as you don't get hammered of course).

It's a good vibe with lots of nature surrounding you - i love it!

Back