Michael Mosley Eat, Fast and Live Longer on BBC

Great post, Julie.
I have to say that once you reach Conso, Dukan diet is realy, really nice.
Your body is no longer on ketosis and you "learn" to eat normaly again.
JUDD is based on calorie counting.
I'm experimenting with Calorie restriction because this is perfectly feasible in Consolidation.
Calorie restriction (with optimal nutrition) works and it is great too.

JUDD is based on calorie counting.
I'm experimenting with Calorie restriction because this is perfectly feasible in Consolidation.
Calorie restriction (with optimal nutrition) works and it is great too.

I've started reading the Johnson book (haven't finished it yet) but what I understood from it so far is that JUDDD is not about calorie counting but precisely about calorie restriction in that on the "up" days you eat normally - no calorie counting but not being a complete glutton - and on the "down" days you restrict your calorie intake to a certain percentage of your normal intake. That's more or less what I got from the Michael Mosley programme too. Maybe I need to watch it again? Wouldn't be the first time I've got something wrong :)

I think you got it right.
But in order to restrict you need to count ;)
On a different note the day I ate 880 kcal I fainted and that is the first time that happens to me.
I hurt my head.
So, I'm taking it easy right now.
This never happened to me in cruise.
Anyway, tomorrow is PP Thursday!
Long live Dr Dukan ( and his followers)!

Its not often I eat more than 900-1000 cals a day on Dukan, even now on conso!

I'm finding the alternate day diet reasonably easy. I never thought I'd say that. I am doing light exercise, mainly walking or wii fit, and don't notice any difference in energy from the normal days. I'm mainly doing ADF for the health benefits but I am obese, so losing weight is great for my health and a boost to my self-esteem.

I did an VLCD last year and I lost weight relatively quickly but most of it went back on within months. My ADT choice is a plan for life. Let's see if I can manage it in the long term once I have a healthy BMI, even if it is just one day a week if it is enough to maintain the health benefits. The fact that you can have a 500 calorie meal, or sometimes in my case, split the calories across 2 meals, means the fast days are manageable.

The ADF I am following isn't as strict as JUDDD as it isn't an actual diet plan, just a way of life. No special foods, nothing banned, adaptable for special events or when you go on hols. I am getting used to feeling hungry before meals even on my normal days, so hopefully my grazing and picking days will become a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Missed my mini-target. I am just over 14 stone, and desperately want to get into the 13's. It's a beautiful afternoon here so I am going to try and burn some calories in the garden scrubbing down the furniture. I am obsessing about food. One of the good things about ADF is I have saved lots of money on lunchtime sandwiches and all the impulse buys (chocolate) etc that goes with it. Plus all the creamy coffees and muffins which I used to buy out of habit mid morning. It's a fast day today so fingers crossed the scales move in the right direction tomorrow.

I was complaining that I cannot stop eating (good, sugary stuff).
A friend said to me
"Why are you saying that? Of course, you CAN stop. Just put your mind to it."
And I did. And it worked.

I had a tiny loss in the past few days, but I seem to be stuck on 14 stone. At least it is not going up. Today is an eating day, so I have my fingers crossed for my weigh in Monday morning after my fast day. I don't want to move my next mini-targets but I doubt if I'll make some of the dates. I have to keep telling myself that I am in this for the long haul and the health benefits, but I can't help be disappointed when the scales don't show the effort I am putting in.:sigh:

If it's any consolation my loss seems to be really slowing down at the moment. I had an UD yesterday and did pig out with school lunch and then a friend came over for bangers and mash and sticky toffee pudding. I think a slow loss is worth it if it means I get to have nice social times with friends and obviously lots of lovely food!

I'm also stuck around the 13,13 mark but it WILL come off - we have to remember we didn't put the weight on over night and so we can't expect it to come off quickly either. A plateau every so often is normal. I think it's a case of maybe just shaking it all up for a week or so (add extra exercise or closely count calories; have a couple of UDs together then be really strict on the DDs etc and then) and see if that makes a change.

Don't get too disheartened - it's a marathon not a sprint!

Thanks. I am on 13.13. It seemed to take ages to drop from 14 stone, but when I work backwards I realise it was less than a week. I just felt disheartened. I had an up day yesterday and ate probably around 1800-2000 cals, (not sure how many calories were in the avocado I had) but absolutely enjoyed every mouthful. I really like the up/down feed/fast approach. I feel great and I know I am never more than 24 hours away from anything I really crave. I have found exercise also makes a huge difference to my weight drop. I don't do anything too strenuous, just walking or wii fit at least 3 times a week. On the weeks I haven't done much exercise the scales barely move. On the weeks I do exercise, I tend to drop at least 2lb, sometimes more.

Not on JUDDD its not!

I know ;)

I've been doing some more ADF research in the last few days and I think one of the reasons I beleive in it is becasue its not a diet that people are making money from, apart from the odd book. All of these medical people telling us of the benefits of ADF are telling us the truth from medical research, they have nothing financial to gain from it, in fact I bet the food industry will start flooding the media with articles telling us how bad it is :rolleyes:.

Also excellent way of eating for those short of money like me :)

I know ;)

I've been doing some more ADF research in the last few days and I think one of the reasons I beleive in it is becasue its not a diet that people are making money from, apart from the odd book. All of these medical people telling us of the benefits of ADF are telling us the truth from medical research, they have nothing financial to gain from it, in fact I bet the food industry will start flooding the media with articles telling us how bad it is :rolleyes:.

Also excellent way of eating for those short of money like me :)

I had never thought of it like that, but yes, I couldn't agree more with you !
I was going to buy another box of Exante on pay day...
But your comments has just convinced me, that a proper go at this is the way ahead for me in the long term :D
Thankyou !!!
:D

An update. I'm averaging 7lb a month weight loss. I feel much better and do quite a bit of walking, cycling or now it is cold and dark in the evenings, wii exercises, averaging an hour a day. That has probably helped too. I can definitely see a big difference in my hips and thighs and my tummy is a bit flatter too.

It really works for me, and I have a slim sister who is also doing it. She wants to do it for the health benefits as two siblings have had cancer, and one has died, and we have a lot of heart disease in our family. She's also dropped a few pounds which she's happy with, but she as she is already slim her weight loss hasn't been as dramatic as mine. She does a 2 to 1 ratio, whereas I am doing a 1:1 ratio - one normal eating day, followed by one calorie restricted day.

hi all,

just another little update, there was a story on yahoo yesterday about eating carbs in the night and how it can help weight loss rather than sticking to the 'no carbs after 5pm' rule. i read the article as it seemed too good to be true but when i read about the study, they had found the results by studying those who fast in the daytime during Ramadan. apparently, those who fasted during the day and then ate a high carb meal in the evening released higher levels of leptin, the hormone which controls hunger. so again, positive results for fasting and especially for those who love carbs - like me! x

Does anyone known where I can waych the Horizon programme 'Eat Fast Live Longer'? I have googled it to death but can't find it :cry:

Back