Mini rant :(

10st10lbs

Gold Member
So was talking to my other half on the phone just now about syn values but totally forgot my point, so began to backtrack to remember what it was I was going to tell him (still can't remember, over half an hour later...). As I'm thinking about it, he goes 'Yeah, your syn values are like, you can eat anything you want, as long as you just write it down(!)' dead sarcastically. It just really irritated me as I thought I had his support through this? He's dieting too but he has his own methods, he just eats healthy and if he slips up just once, he'll be right back off track. I would try to convince him to give SW a go, so that he can have that odd chocolate now and again and not feel as though he's failed, but I think it's just a joke to him? Just a bit mad as I don't feel as though I'm being taken seriously! :mad: :sigh:

When I first went to group my OH kind of laughed at me and didn;t take me seriously at all, now guess what...

I'm a 41 pounds lighter, he's 35 pounds lighter and I've proved him wrong!

Just give it time, he will come around! I think people find it hard to believe that SW is a diet that works, we eat normal food, have nibbles and lose weight..FAB!

Keep at it! Don't let your OH put you off xx

Thanks Allie :) that is your name right? Big boo-boo if it isn't! :eek: It's my nickname though, so hoping if we are namesakes, that your good habits will rub off on me and I can lose some serious lbs ;)

Must have felt good to prove your OH wrong, I can't wait till I can do the same to mine.. Decided I'm not going to tell him what 'naughty things' I eat so that when the time comes around and I am looking fit and fab, I can go 'PLEH!' in his face :p

Thanks for the motivation, will stick at it with the support of this forum, it's really helping! I used to read all sorts of fat blogs and stuff, thinking they'd help, but it helps much more to have interactions, albeit virtual, with others in the same situation :)

Much love xxx

Yeah, I'm Allie :)
Hi Allie ;) I'm Ali :p lol

I think at first it's difficult for them, the fact that we are 'dieting' and then they see us tuck into a options hot chocolate and a timeout finger at the end of an evening :rolleyes: they don't understand we are allowed it.

At first mine just ate the meals I cooked, then the healthy extras came in, and now he counts what syns he has had! He doesn;t know it, but he is an Extra Easy man :p

He doesn't obssess as much as me, if he goes out for a few pints with the boys then he doesn't count it, which is fair enough. He has just happened to 'fall' into SW, but doesn't have to admit to his mates he does it :p

Hehe, it's nice that you guys can kind of go through it together.. It's cute that he adopted your way of eating, lol.. Mine would definitely be a Red man and he did a great job of turning me into an excessive meat lover too.. EE just makes it all that more easier, because you have that choice to eat pretty much anything so there's less restrictions and you end up making the best choices for you :)

My OH had another go at me today, as I was eating melon & grapes for lunch (while he tucked into a KFC Boneless Box).. He was all insistent that I have a piece of popcorn chicken - I really didn't geniunely have any hunger for chicken, was more than happy with my fruit, and don't like mixing things up when I'm halfway into a meal. So cue the kind-of-lecture as to what I should be eating. I pointed out that we were on different diets, and that I knew what I should be eating. He told me I should have lots of protein when I get home and carb rich meals in the mornings, eg porridge, which he knows I don't really like. I know he means no harm by it but insisting I do something when I'm already doing something that's working for me kind of pissed me off :( But I know SW is the way forward for me, I've learnt control over my hunger and definitely my portion sizes, and I'm happy :)

Found out at WI yesterday that I'd lost 3lbs :D Really hyped me up, lol, it's probably the lightest I've been in a good 6 months... Determined to keep it up but feeling slightly demotivated today, don't know why :( Haven't exceeded my sins or anything, it's a fresh new week and if I say so myself, I looked fabulous in the mirror this morning!

Also realised that being on a strict diet (as opposed to ones I used to do before where I'd just try to eat less calories) is nothing to hide - I was kind of hiding it from my (ever-so-skinny, perfect, older) sisters before, one I live with so she was bound to notice, the other I see maybe once or twice a week. The one I live with noticed about a week in, when she asked me if I was ill (I was eating soup - apparently only for ill people?! so she thought.. *rolls eyes*) and my mum was like 'why didn't you tell her?'. But then when I told her, I kind of realised that it meant I could comfortably reject certain foods without the inquisition, and then she even bought me some stuff home one day from Sainsbury's, like low fat marinades, sauces and dressings.. :) But my other sister was over today, she came in the room while I was filling in my food diary and asked if that was my meal plan, so I guessed she'd heard I was on some kind of a diet.. Not once did I feel uncomfortable with anything I said as I explained SW, which made me feel really good.

This post has been kind of cathartic I guess, lol, starting off with the negativities and ending with what made me happy.. Determined to stick to SW and see some changes :) xxx

Note to self: You really do look fabulous today!

Last edited:
Must admit my friends are supportive but don't really get syns, they'll offer me pick n mix and say, "Oh Claire it's like your treat for the day, you know you always have one!" and I instantly put my palm to my face it's just hard that they don't actually take it seriously. I have explained to them I get a set amount of syns a day but over all I just tell them not to offer me anything because I don't like to offend by rejecting their offers.

Guess all we can do is just feel good in ourselves that we're making progress and push aside others feelings, remember you're doing this for yourself :).

Must admit my friends are supportive but don't really get syns, they'll offer me pick n mix and say, "Oh Claire it's like your treat for the day, you know you always have one!" and I instantly put my palm to my face it's just hard that they don't actually take it seriously. I have explained to them I get a set amount of syns a day but over all I just tell them not to offer me anything because I don't like to offend by rejecting their offers.

Guess all we can do is just feel good in ourselves that we're making progress and push aside others feelings, remember you're doing this for yourself :).

Thank you :) everything you said made so much sense! I know it's hard to say no to people... :( I tend to leave the room if I see food coming in that I don't want to have, like the other day my sister made pineapple and lychee smoothies, and knowing she'd used ice cream in them (but not knowing how much, and if it was low fat) I went upstairs and busied myself doing something else. Mum got roped into drinking it, though she said she only had half a glass, but it made it harder for me to write down her syns...

Congrats on your weight loss to date! Are you finding it easy to stick to? xxx

Back