Mirena Coil and Slimming World

Hi everyone - I've just had the mirena coil fitted and I'm hearing some horror stories now about weight gain?! I must admit I've had a really fab first (restarted the diet at a group) week on SL but when I weighed myself today I'm 1lb up which is unheard of during the first week of SL. I know the diet well so I know I've done/eaten everything right. Does the Mirena really make you put a lot of weight on ? (I only had it put in one week ago). Look forward to your repies/advice!

hi there, its not quite the same but i heard horror stories about the pill and weight gain, didn't know wether to use it or not. the doc recommended i take it for various reasons and i thought gaining would be inevitable. so i still continued with sw and since i started the pill i've still lost weight although i had a few extra slight gains on some weeks....may be related. i think it may be the increase in appitite that triggers the weight gain through eating more, but if we eat the right stuff then we will even out and carry on losing. so if you do have a gain, im sure it may just be temporary. keep up with the good work and you'll be fine :)

Iv got a mirena too but my weight gain is all down to me, no matter what contraceptive your on theres the chance of weight gain (especially some pills!) its just a risk because the hormones effect the body. Theres not much you can do im afraid. ps i work in the cytology lab (gynae) at my local hospital.

also you wouldn't gain 1lb from the pill that quickly.

Heya,

Not posted on here in ageeeeeeeeees! But I saw this post and thought I can't NOT post!

I have had the mirena now for about 7 years, and yes in that time I put on weight, but I am under no illusions, I put on weight because I ate wayyy to much and exercised too little!

Also what you need to know in that time I have lost 5 and half stone in 15 months, got to target last December and am still at target now. So its totally possible to lose weight while on the mirena coil. I not saying I don't have blips, but I am aware of where those blips are, and am totally sure its not because I have the mirena. I am always going to be that person that has to work at maintaining as I like junk too much. I the next 3 years I am coming off the mirena totally, and only then will I be able to say entirely that the struggle with maintaining was because of that or not, though I truely doubt it, my appetite is way to big for my now body size muahahaha!!!

When I first had the coil fitted I was bloated for at least a month, so it could be your body just getting used to it, carry on with your food optimising as you normally would, drink plenty of water and give it a couple of months to settle down, you will soo start seeing them losses again!!

Best of luck with it (saves you loads of pennies too if your periods stop like mine have, not had one in nearily 8 years!!!)

Helen xxxx

I agree with Pizzle, contraceptives certainly enhance your appetite, ut your weight loss is down to you :)

I had a Mirena put in about 8/9 weeks ago now, although i have only just started back on SW this week, i havent put any weight on, but have lost a couple of pounds just by cutting back.

ok so you have a coil fitted/start taking the pill and you might put weight on......but at least your doing SW and helping with the weight loss, its better than doing no weight loss and just putting the weight on! i wouldn't worry too much, theres horror stories out there for everything.

I have had the mirena now for 3 years. I started SW in Sept 2010 and lost 39lbs by xmas. I have maintained target since then. I can safely say that for me it has made no difference to my weight.
I was big before cos I ate too much.

Also a friend of mine had this removed about 6 months ago blaming it on bloating and weight gain. 6 months later she is the same as she was before. I expect that some people may have a reaction to it but generally I think if we maybe are not losing as quickly as we want we look for reasons why this might be and contraception often gets the blame. Just my thoughts ;)

Morning girlies, thank you all very much for your posts. After reading all of your comments I do feel a lot better about my new coil and will carry on with my new optimising lifestyle! Thanks again and good luck to you all too, Love Rach xx

I didn't know the mirena could contribute to weight gain! I had Weight gain on the pill and then fell pregnant on it and I thought the mirena was different lol! I have lost just short of 3 stone since having it fitted so hopefully it doesn't affect me the way the pill did! X

I had the Mirena for about a year and a half, had to have it removed so I could go back on the pill for my skin (it flares up really badly when I'm not on the pill, always has, I was just hopeful going off it!).

It didn't affect my weight gain at all. And I didn't have a period the whole time it was in!! I'd have it back any day if I could but my stupid skin won't allow it... :(

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have a question for other mirena users. I no longer have regular periods, just very light and very occasional (few months in between and time between each getting longer) episodes of spotting. I do find that I get monthly fluid retention and boosting which results in a gain on the scales. Also my wedding ring becomes very tight as my fingers swell! Does anyone else find this too? And am I right thinking it's effectively pms??

I had mine out the other week as 18 months on and I was still bleeding and spotting and I had to go back on the pill. This meant I was on the pill and the mirena for 6 months.

I thought mine was to blame for my lack of weight loss but I also have PCOS which contributes. I ate the same and just seemed to pile it on so I am hoping that having it out will have a positive affect.

I'm resurrecting this thread as I have a question for other mirena users. I no longer have regular periods, just very light and very occasional (few months in between and time between each getting longer) episodes of spotting. I do find that I get monthly fluid retention and boosting which results in a gain on the scales. Also my wedding ring becomes very tight as my fingers swell! Does anyone else find this too? And am I right thinking it's effectively pms??

Hi Mog ... I've had my coil fitted for 2 and a half years now and although I haven't had a period for 2 years :))) I can still trace my cycle ... ovulating and period. I still have that bloating feeling too. Nothing to worry about ... and nice to recognise it when it happens and not just panic that it's a weight gain.

HTH x

Ali* said:
Hi Mog ... I've had my coil fitted for 2 and a half years now and although I haven't had a period for 2 years :))) I can still trace my cycle ... ovulating and period. I still have that bloating feeling too. Nothing to worry about ... and nice to recognise it when it happens and not just panic that it's a weight gain.

HTH x

Thanks Ali:) its nice to know someone else is experiencing the same! Feeling really bloated today, I'm sure by next week I'll have lost the little bit I've gained this week. X

I just want to say that the posts in this thread have been brilliant for me to read as I'm considering having the Mirena coil fitted. At least I know that it's not going to be as bad as some say.

Thanks everyone :)

gwennypenny said:
I just want to say that the posts in this thread have been brilliant for me to read as I'm considering having the Mirena coil fitted. At least I know that it's not going to be as bad as some say.

Thanks everyone :)

Hi hun, just wanted to add that I'm really glad I got my mirena, hassle free, no daily pills to remember, more or less no periods and lasts for 5 years. I'll definately go for another:)

Back