Mission to lose 5st (10/70 lbs and counting)

Thanks Scrumbles! :)

It's the Easter holidays...YAY! I am hoping to go back to work two weeks on Tuesday in the 180s and be in the 170s by half term/New York (or very close to it)....maybe in the 160s by the summer hols and breaking new ground on my graph by the start of the new academic year (so less than 162 lbs). All to play for!

Joules clothes arrived - both fit with plenty of room (good old Joules sizing!). I got these:

Really like this top, a bit sheer so probably best with a cami - still a keeper. I must like it as it is costs more than I usually like to spend.

I like this too but I'm still slightly undecided. It was reduced down from £149 to £99 (John lewis) but on the Joules website it is reduced further down to £79! GRR! If I send it back I probably wouldn't bother to order it directly from Joules though.
I do like this little jacket look but this is quite a lot of money and it will (hopefully) drown me soon, as it is fairly roomy already. I think I will let DH decided. DS said it wasn't really me but I could keep the top (err...thanks 10 year old son for your fashion advice!).

Told you I was starting to be more interested in clothes!

That undecided 0.2 lbs from yesterday went back on so this week was 2.8 lbs - can't complain about that really can I! :D

Quite unprepared for this trip! I've got a chicken Bhuna out of the freezer and have ingredients to make a chilli - seems silly to make it when a colleague is bringing one though. How bad can a regular chilli be if I skip the rice? Oh well - I'm NOT packing loads of snacks though - I have a lot of soup instead!

I'm 192.6 lbs today so I am hopeful that I can start next term at 189.8 lbs or below (I have a little over two weeks to achieve that). Decided that I want to give myself the gift of not being obese (184 .4 lbs or below) for my birthday as well (4th May). Need a nice steady average of 1.5 lbs/week for this...

See you Monday x

Last edited:
That top is lovely the jacket is nice too but it's a lot of money if you're not going to get much wear out of it. ...

Well done in your loss, you're doing brilliantly

As for the chilli ...if I can't control the calories in food I try to apply slimming world theories ( I did it years ago) and think back to red and green days. ...so I would have the chilli but ditch the rice

Hope you have a fab weekend x

That top is lovely  the jacket is nice too but it's a lot of money if you're not going to get much wear out of it. ...

Well done in your loss, you're doing brilliantly 

As for the chilli ...if I can't control the calories in food I try to apply slimming world theories ( I did it years ago) and think back to red and green days. ...so I would have the chilli but ditch the rice 

Hope you have a fab weekend x

Thanks Becky!

I did end up having the chilli but said no to the rice and had green veg with it instead :)

I cannot claim that was a dieting weekend though :sigh:. Yet again, I started snacking when on my own in the camper van. I recorded everything and came out with about 1900 kcals on the Saturday. Sunday wasn't good - I pretty much had no choice but to have dinner in a pub and decided to have what I wanted and AGAIN had sweet snacks in the camper afterwards. Came to more like 2400 that day! All that is fine, of course, but I must learn from it.

The ridiculous thing was that this route was very close to home and the camp site where the staff stayed at was further away from the students than where the staff actually live...We didn't realise this (it is all organised by the leader and the rest of the staff just turn up) until we were there. So I was away from home for far longer than needed, it is going to take me ages to clean the camper (already has but not finished yet!) due to how muddy it was (I had to get a tractor to pull me out of the field!). Live and learn. I won't do that again - if it is that close I will help but I will be based from home! For trips further away I am going to accept that we will eat together as a group in the evening and have what the group has. I will not have all the junk the rest of the day though (I didn't this time - they had fried breakfast I had porridge etc).

Looking on the bright side, the following positives:

* I got really into my book (didn't take the ipad), so I am looking forward to reading it tonight rather than taking the ipad to bed.
* I did some walking and my foot was completely fine
* I now know exactly where the towbar attachment is, how to fit it and how to get towed out of a field!
* Got the power washer out (to wash down my hiking boots, wellies, grip mats and trackers (futile attempt at not getting stuck in the mud) and have now started jet washing the patio (you can definitely see where you have been!))
* I recorded all my calories despite 'blowing the diet'
* I feel motivated towards getting walking/getting in the countryside more

Anyway, back to the mud and the power washer...

Thanks Becky!

I did end up having the chilli but said no to the rice and had green veg with it instead :)

I cannot claim that was a dieting weekend though :sigh:. Yet again, I started snacking when on my own in the camper van. I recorded everything and came out with about 1900 kcals on the Saturday. Sunday wasn't good - I pretty much had no choice but to have dinner in a pub and decided to have what I wanted and AGAIN had sweet snacks in the camper afterwards. Came to more like 2400 that day! All that is fine, of course, but I must learn from it.

The ridiculous thing was that this route was very close to home and the camp site where the staff stayed at was further away from the students than where the staff actually live...We didn't realise this (it is all organised by the leader and the rest of the staff just turn up) until we were there. So I was away from home for far longer than needed, it is going to take me ages to clean the camper (already has but not finished yet!) due to how muddy it was (I had to get a tractor to pull me out of the field!). Live and learn. I won't do that again - if it is that close I will help but I will be based from home! For trips further away I am going to accept that we will eat together as a group in the evening and have what the group has. I will not have all the junk the rest of the day though (I didn't this time - they had fried breakfast I had porridge etc).

Looking on the bright side, the following positives:

* I got really into my book (didn't take the ipad), so I am looking forward to reading it tonight rather than taking the ipad to bed.
* I did some walking and my foot was completely fine
* I now know exactly where the towbar attachment is, how to fit it and how to get towed out of a field!
* Got the power washer out (to wash down my hiking boots, wellies, grip mats and trackers (futile attempt at not getting stuck in the mud) and have now started jet washing the patio (you can definitely see where you have been!))
* I recorded all my calories despite 'blowing the diet'
* I feel motivated towards getting walking/getting in the countryside more

Anyway, back to the mud and the power washer...

Hi,

You are doing fab!! A big well done for still recording everything even though you know you was off track and would be over.....thats the best thing you could of done and you should feel very pleased with yourself for that!! I love that you note all the 'positives' you have taken from it all too :) Keep up the good work and it will all come together nicely :) xx

Lots of positives - yay! I particularly like that your foot was fine on your walk - nothing more miserable than having to be on your feet all day if they are sore :(.

194.2 :(

Hardly surprising but even so, it has made me slightly irritated about the whole weekend now. All so pointless camping out and being away from home when we didn't need to. That's the last D of E of the academic year for me now though - hopefully by the next time I go I won't be looking to lose weight...

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am up 1.8 lbs from Saturday and 2.0 lbs from Friday. I know it is all water weight but the real issue is I am now out of the zone and I was so in the zone before I went! Hopefully, I can get myself straight back to around 1450 kcals today and get all of that off and a bit more by Saturday.

I wanted to do some Easter baking with DS so this is a very dangerous time!

Stay strong - you are strong. Be angry at the organisers, or fate or whatever, but get right back in the zone!

Baking is tricky when cutting back, but as your calorie counting can you include a couple of nibbles in your total?

I know I'm not saying anything you haven't thought of, and I know you will sort it out and be successful - what a pesky time for the camping weekend though. As you say it is water weight so will go quickly.

Stay strong - you are strong. Be angry at the organisers, or fate or whatever, but get right back in the zone!

Baking is tricky when cutting back, but as your calorie counting can you include a couple of nibbles in your total?

I know I'm not saying anything you haven't thought of, and I know you will sort it out and be successful - what a pesky time for the camping weekend though. As you say it is water weight so will go quickly.

Thanks Lass :)

Sadly, yesterday was worse! I felt wiped out and got next to nothing done - ended up going to Weatherspoon's and having a few glasses of wine (and food). I also raided the cooking chocolate - twice! Unsurprisingly, weight has gone up again today. This is more than water weight though - average calories since Saturday has been more than maintenance.

Well, all I can do is dust myself off and try and find that zone again!

It hasn't been a great start to the holiday...

But I CAN and WILL get over this - all part of the journey!

Hang in there, zeke!

This seems such a sudden turn around from just a few days ago...what's going on?:confused:

Can you think of anything other than the weekend that might be throwing you off? Might you be coming down with something? (Hope not!) Or the dreaded PMS? (you mentioned chocolate and that's a classic symptom for me!)

Perhaps it's the change of routine for the Easter holiday? If so, this might be a good time to consider having an official diet break - I did this several times when I was losing the bulk of my weight through 2011/12/13 and found it helped me a lot, though I have to say that I've seen it go wrong for people, so it doesn't work for everyone.

Have a read of this and see what you think: The Full Diet Break | BodyRecomposition

It's written by a guy who deals with competition bodybuilders on low-carb diets primarily, but it's applicable to anyone really, especially those looking at a long-ish weight loss journey.

Hope you feel better soon x

awww thanks Scrumbles!

After the dentist (had to have a filling re-done) I went back to bed - still feel wiped out though. Maybe I am coming down with something/fighting something off. Maybe it is just a reaction to eating too much junk!

Yeah, I'm not going to put myself under any pressure to get back down to dieting calories for a few days - think that will be counterproductive. I do, however, want to feel a lot more energetic and I don't think junk is the route to that, so maybe I will just concentrate on eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg and tasty home cooked food for a few days and have a break from counting the calories.

Hope I wake up all spritely tomorrow! :)

I'm forcing my mojo back today!

Just dropped off DS at a sports camp for the day. I'm going to start 'work' at 10 am, at the latest. Get a load of jobs ticked off - it is really the only thing that will make me feel better.

We've decided that I'm going to stay at home tomorrow night with the dogs rather than going away in the camper with DH and DS - DH is meeting up with his boss/friend and there is plenty to do, so I don't think I'll be missed! That would be 3 out of 4 weekends in the camper over the last month, and given how I feel about last weekend now I don't think that is the best plan!

I don't plan to CC today but we'll see. I just plan at working hard at preparing the way for a fresh start tomorrow.

Beginning to sound a lot like mojo to me :)

Alas no! I did some jobs yesterday but under a dark cloud, that just got darker. What a waste of a week!

This is the situation - what a change 6 days can make!

So I lost 2.8 lbs last week and this week, so far, I am up 3.2 lbs.

This doesn't even register on my big graph of course. It is irrelevant.

Back to CC today - definitely!

Just waved DH and DS off on their little trip. I am going to write myself a list of jobs I want to get done before they get back.

Time to focus on what is important not wallow in what isn't!

Hopefully I can report back later with a mojo! :D

Last edited:
Aw poor you :(. Your overall trend is still down, which is great, and I know it will all come alright in the end. You will continue being as successful as you have been before, but I'm sorry you are feeling so naff right now.

Back