Mission to lose 5st (10/70 lbs and counting)

Thank you fellow spreadsheet lovers :D

If anyone wants a copy then I am happy to send you one if you pm me your email address. I'll modify it for you as well if you tell me your height (in cm) & mass. I would need to know WI day and as many previous weekly results as you want included for page 2.

I was going to have my cholesterol checked this morning but the nurse has just rang to rearrange. It dawned on me that I've never had it checked and now I am approaching 42...thankfully, I am on the path to reduce it anyway - whatever number it is (I am expecting it to be 'not good' though)!

Pleased that despite yesterday's calories estimate and more calorific lunch than normal my weight went down another 0.2 lbs this morning. I know this isn't weight I lost yesterday but it is nice not to have to face a big water gain or anything!

I know I have mentioned it before but I am LOVING this calorie counting now! Sooooo much better than WW, SW, SNS - I feel like not only am I losing weight but I am also properly preparing myself for maintenance. Those numbers are sobering!

Off to choose new cushions now! Then, I may just have to tackle some of the less 'interesting' jobs.

Well I don't have any past results really as I gave up.. But I wouldn't mind starting one :)

I love Cc too more than sw and ww simply because I can make it fit in on a day to day basis. If I don't have what I need for sw I end up just deciding I can't do it that day! Where as this I can use everything in my cupboards and make it fit In!!!

Have fun choosing your new cushions!!! Xx

Well - I think I have chosen the fabric! Got a lady coming out on Friday morning to discuss making the covers for me so I know how much fabric to order [I've looked at standard shop ones and nothing fits the bill].

I also just ordered 6 dining room chairs! From a picture! OMG - hope I like them! I was looking a re-upholstering the ones I have but think that would prove very costly (cat - that has long been dead used ALL of the as scratching posts!). Seem very reasonably priced and have excellent reviews to here's hoping.

Just been playing about with the spreadsheet more and look at a few variables and the resulting weekly losses...

This would motivate me to exercise if I didn't have this damn foot issue! I've got Pilates class tonight though...

Loads of jobs I want to tick off around the house this pm. That should keep me lightly active, maybe...

I guess what actually happens is down to lots and lots of little choices I make (as I have said before, I have no intention of aiming for anything less than 1500 kcals/day though)!

Last edited:
I know I have mentioned it before but I am LOVING this calorie counting now! Sooooo much better than WW, SW, SNS - I feel like not only am I losing weight but I am also properly preparing myself for maintenance. Those numbers are sobering!

Totally agree, who thought of labeling foods as 'syn'-ful?! (apparently SW did originally have 'sins' but relabeled them 'syns') and why should people be forced to eat just 1080 cals a day (WW propoints= 28). All food just provides amazing energy for the body. Maintenance is probably going to be much easier with calorie counting!

Well - I think I have chosen the fabric! Got a lady coming out on Friday morning to discuss making the covers for me so I know how much fabric to order [I've looked at standard shop ones and nothing fits the bill].

I also just ordered 6 dining room chairs! From a picture! OMG - hope I like them! I was looking a re-upholstering the ones I have but think that would prove very costly (cat - that has long been dead used ALL of the as scratching posts!). Seem very reasonably priced and have excellent reviews to here's hoping.

Just been playing about with the spreadsheet more and look at a few variables and the resulting weekly losses...

This would motivate me to exercise if I didn't have this damn foot issue! I've got Pilates class tonight though...

Loads of jobs I want to tick off around the house this pm. That should keep me lightly active, maybe...

I guess what actually happens is down to lots and lots of little choices I make (as I have said before, I have no intention of aiming for anything less than 1500 kcals/day though)!

I'm maintaining 142lbs at 1,400 a day, but I'm 52 and totally sedentary, lol. :) xx

Hehe...never thought of myself as a spreadsheet lover, lol!

I did an absolute ton of number-crunching when I was here at mini's a couple of years ago, so I've probably got all the data I need for this go-round - I shall enjoy dissecting and digesting all of yours, though, so keep it coming :D

Just to throw this out there, there is a school of thought that the best way to lose weight is to simply eat at the caloric level that will be needed to maintain your goal weight rather than looking to create deficits for specific amounts of loss.

So if I want to be 150-154lbs, I would eat a steady 1650 cals a day as that is my maintenance total for that body weight, and the theory goes that eventually my weight would drop to target and stabilise there.

Of course, the downside of this is that progress would be a lot slower, but it's something I've considered doing to try and prepare myself even better for the regime I'll need when maintaining.

Something to think about, anyway!

Totally agree, who thought of labeling foods as 'syn'-ful?! (apparently SW did originally have 'sins' but relabeled them 'syns') and why should people be forced to eat just 1080 cals a day (WW propoints= 28). All food just provides amazing energy for the body. Maintenance is probably going to be much easier with calorie counting!

I could weep at all the wasted effort on syns and points but I think they served their purpose at the time. This is definitely much, much easier with myfitnesspal! Previous to that then, yes, I can see WW/SW having their place.

I'm maintaining 142lbs at 1,400 a day, but I'm 52 and totally sedentary, lol. :) xx

Well done! Gosh you are tall as well!

Just to throw this out there, there is a school of thought that the best way to lose weight is to simply eat at the caloric level that will be needed to maintain your goal weight rather than looking to create deficits for specific amounts of loss.

Yes, I've read that too. In fact I was thinking about it today! My sedentary goal weight maintenance is 1585 kcals which isn't that far away from what I am eating now. So, I guess I am pretty much doing it at the moment. I would genuinely like to start exercising though. I used to enjoy it when I was fit!

I've been shifting furniture around in DS's room today and up and down the stairs so a little bit of exercise :)

The last hairy bikers book arrived today - I'm looking forward to having a good look through it this evening and making a shopping list! :D

Right now it is time to get ready for Pilates. I treated myself to decent Pilates/yoga clothes from Boden last week so I won't feel like such a tramp this week (I have been wearing old trackie bottoms and 20 year old T-shirts!).

I had the rich beef and ale casserole out of book #1 again tonight, but this time with a touch of Dijon mustard - very nice! Have 2 portions left so I may freeze those now and make way for another new recipe from my new book tomorrow :)

oh I've been looking at that hairy bikers book too! I have one of their books on Asian food and it was really good.... I've far too many cook books though!

I too love MFP and it has changed my life - it really makes me feel in control and totally accountable!

Sounds like you're busy doing so home refurb with new cushions etc, have you recently moved or you just fancy a change?

oh I've been looking at that hairy bikers book too! I have one of their books on Asian food and it was really good.... I've far too many cook books though!

I too love MFP and it has changed my life - it really makes me feel in control and totally accountable!

Sounds like you're busy doing so home refurb with new cushions etc, have you recently moved or you just fancy a change?

Hi Rachella

First of all - congratulations on all your success so far! Very impressive!

Yes, I would definitely recommend the hairy dieters books. I too have too many cookbooks but I'm only going to count the ones I actually use! I am thinking of getting rid of some [the SW ones - would probably sell those as a bundle] though...I got rid of my old (discovery points) WW ones a couple of years back. I have cookbooks that I display on an open shelf in the kitchen and the less 'impressive' or slightly embarrassing ones inside the cupboard! Most I don't use though :eek:

Well we are always trying to improve the house - it has been a long journey. We have *just* finished the 'big' stuff - three extensions/structural project and more recently a complete kitchen/open plan area re-fit. That has taken 8 years [not continuously -needed space in-between projects to gather our sanity and pull the funds together). So now we are in what I always thought would be the nice phase - going through the house and decorating it how we really want it - but I find it very difficult! Not least because it is expensive so doing it in the odd bursts and now is one of those times!

DS's room just needed to be moved on towards a new phase of life (he is 10 and will be starting secondary school in September so thought it was about time he had a wardrobe and a decent sized desk). I've been making space for the Ikea delivery on Monday.

Well done! Gosh you are tall as well!

Thank you! :) Yes, at 5'8", even at my age and activity level, my maintenance calories should in theory be around 1,600, which proves that theory that once you've been overweight and lost it, you can never eat as much as someone of the same stats who's never been overweight. I think the reduction's supposed to be around 20% isn't it? :) xx

Thank you! :) Yes, at 5'8", even at my age and activity level, my maintenance calories should in theory be around 1,600, which proves that theory that once you've been overweight and lost it, you can never eat as much as someone of the same stats who's never been overweight. I think the reduction's supposed to be around 20% isn't it? :) xx

I guess that is the beauty of calorie counting and carefully monitoring your weight - you find out exactly what is right for you and your activity levels. It is great that you know exactly what you need to do to maintain - so easy to think 'that's it!' once goal has been reached and do the whole yo-yo thing! I think I will be more proud of myself when I have maintained for 6 months than when I reach goal (because I have never managed that before!).

I guess that is the beauty of calorie counting and carefully monitoring your weight - you find out exactly what is right for you and your activity levels. It is great that you know exactly what you need to do to maintain - so easy to think 'that's it!' once goal has been reached and do the whole yo-yo thing! I think I will be more proud of myself when I have maintained for 6 months than when I reach goal (because I have never managed that before!).

Yes, that was my thought exactly! I've maintained for getting on for a year now, which I've never done before in over 30 years of yo-yo dieting - fingers and everything else crossed! :) xx

Yep, that's about right. This article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 from 2011 explains it very well - it's long but it's a worthwhile read.

zeke, I think I'm going to have to check out those hairy dieters' cookbooks. I watched the series on telly, but I was on Atkins at the time so there didn't appear to be anything much in it for me - different story now! Is there one you'd particularly recommend?

Yep, that's about right. This article http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 from 2011 explains it very well - it's long but it's a worthwhile read.

zeke, I think I'm going to have to check out those hairy dieters' cookbooks. I watched the series on telly, but I was on Atkins at the time so there didn't appear to be anything much in it for me - different story now! Is there one you'd particularly recommend?

That's a really interesting article, and does tie in with what I've heard before. Basically the BMR tables become useless once you've lost weight, as your metabolism changes, so eating at a level you think you ought to be able to will lead to gradual weight gain. Frustrating, but as long as we're aware of it, steps can be taken to maintain - either eat less permanently, or increase exercise. I do the former, for health reasons. :) xx

I don't have a particular favourite - still early days though, as I have only really just started using them! They all have lots of things that I plan to try and they also appeal to DH which is a big plus!

#1 - had this one the longest but it has been largely unused until recently! Made lamb, spinach and potato curry & rich beef and ale casserole from it in the last week or so - both gorgeous!

51p1V8R2XCL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#3 - got this one just a few weeks ago I think. Made Tabbouleh, Fattouch, Bean and vegetable soup, spicy morroccan soup,Pork saltimbocca, Turkey chilli with cauliflower 'rice', chicken stirfry, chicken chasseur. I would make all of them again!

51bj-yI-ITL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#2 - only got this yesterday and started cooking with it today. This afternoon I made Mince and vegetable pie with tumbled spuds & light chocolate mousse [with raspberries]. Slight issue with the mousse in that when I added the custard it set the chocolate so it isn't smooth. I think it will still be edible though! Next time I will warm the custard first...ha! I haven't tried either yet. I have the ingredients in for creamy prawn korma too.

51qNUHqDLbL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just noticed these...

Screen-shot-2013-11-09-at-15.12.32.png

Might be good for glamping trips [I have a camper van]!

Honestly, there isn't a recipe in any of the books that I wouldn't want to try. I think you will be ok with any of them.

I don't think I can face reading that article at the moment, but thank you! The basic calculations have served their current purpose with me - that is to hit home the affect of exercise and the fact that as I lose weight I will have eat less to maintain that lower weight! The exact figures I guess I will have to figure out as I go along as no calculation is going to be perfect for everyone.

Oh how I wish I could go back in time and give the 17/18 year old me [who decided to diet even though was actually slim!] a bit of a pep talk about calories, cooking and weight maintenance! Could have saved myself years of angst and a messed up metabolism. Oh well!

Last edited:
Here to follow you zeke. Also I will look out for these books thanks.

Yesterday proved to be quite an easy day! I came in at 1267 kcals, however, I did have the odd taste/lick when making the mousse etc yesterday so added on extra 100 kcals (pretty sure if would be less than that!). Nice little 1 lbs off on the scale this morning too :)

I am baking FIL's birthday cake today (ready for tomorrow) - no licking! Also have to plan what we will have for lunch - out of the hairy dieters book. I don't like to tell them when I am trying to lose weight for two main reasons: MIL goes on an on and asks way too much then comments on where I may have lost the weight - with some people I like this but somehow it doesn't sit right with MIL (who has been slim her entire life!); They have seen me lose and gain weight sooooooooooo many times now it is actually a bit embarrassing! FIL has high cholesterol (well only slightly high and it is now back to normal but they like to make a big 'thing' of it) so the healthy cooking is a good thing. I'll have my slice of birthday cake 'later' or just have a really, really tiny amount.

Dining room chair arriving today and also the lady is coming round about the cushions to it is all excitement this morning! We've wanted new dining room chair for...years and years!

It is weekly weigh in day :)

I've lost 3.4 lbs this week.

Sat: 1823 Kcals (Valentines day!)
Sun: 1537 Kcals
Mon: 1533 Kcals
Tue: 1881 (Cookery Course - high estimate of kcals)
Wed: 1496 Kcals
Thu: 1367 kcals
Fri: 1480 kcals

Mean/Kcals: 1588

Progress so far:

Results and predictions from start until week I fly to NY:

Last edited:
Back