Mission to lose 5st (10/70 lbs and counting)

Thanks Bex :)

Weekend! New Week! :D

This week I aim to:

* Do Pilates every day (5 mins+)
* Try out at least 2 new Hairy Dieters recipes
* Look up some of the quick SW red recipes I used to use and work out the kcals for them (prawn curry etc)
* Do more cleaning/decluttering in downtime
* Make Packed lunches for work (so that I stay there longer and avoid bringing work home!)
* Try some evening walks (but do not aggravate foot - it is definitely getting better!), especially when the munchies strike
* Spend more time with DS
* Do the above rather than posting in diary (once or twice a day is plenty!)

That's probably enough!

Now it's not getting dark so early it definitely a good time so do evening walks - that's what i loved doing last summer and listening to music whilst doing it really motivated me!

I've got the HB Aisan Adventre cookery book and there are some interesting recipes in there - have you used that at all? Which HB books do you use? I've also got Hairy Dieters Book 1 which I've not looked at in a while but will dust it off tonight and have a thumb through!

Now it's not getting dark so early it definitely a good time so do evening walks - that's what i loved doing last summer and listening to music whilst doing it really motivated me!

I've got the HB Aisan Adventre cookery book and there are some interesting recipes in there - have you used that at all? Which HB books do you use? I've also got Hairy Dieters Book 1 which I've not looked at in a while but will dust it off tonight and have a thumb through!

Hi Rachella

Yes, think the evening walks will be good! I used to enjoy them with the dogs before I got plantar fasciitis...just hoping that my foot has improved enough to cope. Then it is remembering to do it now I am out of the habit!

The only hairy bikers books I have are the dieters ones (I've got all three and probably use them about equally - at the moment I am trying new things in them - loads left to try!). I definitely plan to get the non dieting ones in the future though, at the moment I've got enough to keep me occupied in the dieters ones and, of course, there are better for calorie counting!

I've put what I'm having for dinner in MFP already (won't have it until 8 pm at least as need to go to meeting at 7 pm) and it definitely isn't going to be a low day. I'm at 1530 kcals and I will have veg with that, which I haven't added in yet.

I've had plenty of 'treats' already today so shouldn't need anything else... I know that I like one in the evening though. I know this! I shouldn't have had any earlier. I blame my silly, late, split lunch!

Whilst I am on the moaning theme - I'm not holding out great hopes for the coq au vin this evening. We'll see - it will have to be excellent for me to bother with it again is it was a bit of a faff and quite expensive to make really and heavier on the kcals than most of the other recipes.

Tomorrow I'm planning on staying at work late (and already have the packed lunch sorted) so that should be more disciplined. I've got a lot to get on top of this week really as I am away at the weekend (D of E training weekend, so I need to get organised for that too) so technically it should make things easier...if I get on with it!

Anyway, back to my snacking!

This was my day:

8 am - Porridge with raspberries (I put frozen ones in the bottom of the bowl and the hot porridge defrost them), splash of milk + black coffee (220 kcals)
2 pm - Bowl 'big soup' - packed full of veg & some cannelloni beans (157) + small white roll from the bakers (116)
3.15 pm - tassimo costa latte (88) + milk flake (75)...this could have easily been swapped for a milk coffee (25 kcals) and a ww yogurt (50 kcals)
4 pm - Salad I should have had for lunch (222 kcals)
4 pm/6 pm - ice lolly (54), sunbites (111), 2 portions sugar free jelly (18), cup of tea (25 kcals) + small almond biscuit (47)
8 pm ish - coq au vin (400) + veg (75?)

I should have had my full lunch, at the correct time and then had my dinner earlier and save all those calories for supper! Anyway, done now - just need to learn from this!

I've put what I'm having for dinner in MFP already (won't have it until 8 pm at least as need to go to meeting at 7 pm) and it definitely isn't going to be a low day. I'm at 1530 kcals and I will have veg with that, which I haven't added in yet.

I've had plenty of 'treats' already today so shouldn't need anything else... I know that I like one in the evening though. I know this! I shouldn't have had any earlier. I blame my silly, late, split lunch!

Whilst I am on the moaning theme - I'm not holding out great hopes for the coq au vin this evening. We'll see - it will have to be excellent for me to bother with it again is it was a bit of a faff and quite expensive to make really and heavier on the kcals than most of the other recipes.

Tomorrow I'm planning on staying at work late (and already have the packed lunch sorted) so that should be more disciplined. I've got a lot to get on top of this week really as I am away at the weekend (D of E training weekend, so I need to get organised for that too) so technically it should make things easier...if I get on with it!

Anyway, back to my snacking!

This was my day:

8 am - Porridge with raspberries (I put frozen ones in the bottom of the bowl and the hot porridge defrost them), splash of milk + black coffee (220 kcals)
2 pm - Bowl 'big soup' - packed full of veg & some cannelloni beans (157) + small white roll from the bakers (116)
3.15 pm - tassimo costa latte (88) + milk flake (75)...this could have easily been swapped for a milk coffee (25 kcals) and a ww yogurt (50 kcals)
4 pm - Salad I should have had for lunch (222 kcals)
4 pm/6 pm - ice lolly (54), sunbites (111), 2 portions sugar free jelly (18), cup of tea (25 kcals) + small almond biscuit (47)
8 pm ish - coq au vin (400) + veg (75?)

I should have had my full lunch, at the correct time and then had my dinner earlier and save all those calories for supper! Anyway, done now - just need to learn from this!

I have to have "split" lunches 2 days when I am at home as I do an exercise class then get home for a late lunch but go out to aqua later on so can't have that much to eat beforehand so when I get home I could eat anything in sight (and usually do) then it is bedtime and wish I had not eaten it.
Glad you enjoyed the Coq au Vin - although I am Veggie I have the Hairydieters book and enjoyed reading it and watching the series (although the little one who was on Strictly really gets on my nerves).

I forgot to WI this morning - hair was wet in the shower before I realised. Not that it matters!

I came in at 1766 kcals yesterday :eek:. Make me wonder if the fact that I tend to hold on to weight mid-cycle is actually because I eat more! Maybe not as I think this [mid cycle slow down/sts] happened when I was doing SnS as well.

Must remember that this is why CC is so great! There is a whole range of Calorie deficit that is acceptable - I may aim to have about 1500 kcals but somedays I will have closer to 1200 and others closer to 1800 (hopefully, very rarely more than 2000 though) and I am still ON plan! I don't think I needed that much yesterday though, and I can look back and learn.

Taking packed lunch to work today and I don't plan to come home until nearer 5 pm (when I will have dinner) so there shouldn't be any silly snacks during the day today!

Hi Zeke,

I usually put on fluid-weight mid-cycle too- apparently it might be to do with ovulation so that if you have an ovulatory cycle you retain fluid and if you have an anovulatory cycle then you don't. I always feel depressed because 2-3lbs appears overnight! I think it has more to do with that than with the extra calories because you're still eating less than your TDEE so you're only going to lose weight :)

Hi Zeke,

I usually put on fluid-weight mid-cycle too- apparently it might be to do with ovulation so that if you have an ovulatory cycle you retain fluid and if you have an anovulatory cycle then you don't. I always feel depressed because 2-3lbs appears overnight! I think it has more to do with that than with the extra calories because you're still eating less than your TDEE so you're only going to lose weight :)

Hi Bella - it is interesting that you get that too. I find it affects me more than TOTM! Damn water!

Seriously, as I know it is coming it doesn't bother be that much and I don't gain it suddenly overnight...weight loss just gets stuck.

Well, working a full day did the trick! :) So silly snacking!

I fancy a baked potato for dinner - so I'm having exactly that! Pity I don't have any salad in. May go to the supermarket...AGAIN...I guess I have a click and collect to get as well :rolleyes:

Hey Zeke, just popping in to say 'I'm back'. I'll read your diary later, glad to see you're doing well. :)

YAY!! :D

So pleased to see you!

I wouldn't bother reading my diary - it is full of the usual waffle!

The summary is I am now calorie counting with MFP, after getting up to almost my heaviest ever again, and so far I've lost nearly 12 lbs (start weight on profile is heaviest ever). Really enjoying the flexibility of calorie counting and full of hope that this is, finally, the right plan for me longterm!

How about you? EDIT - actually, ignore that - just seen that you have posted in your diary and started a new one. I shall reply there once I'm back from taking my son to the bus stop.

Last edited:
STS today - which was completely expected.

I would have been on 1500 kcals yesterday, easily, but for some bizarre reason decided to have half a honeydew melon before bed, and before checking the kcals. 180 apparently. Seems like a lot! I could have easily come in at 1400 too. Think I have started messing about a bit this week for some reason...meh! I'll try and stay busy at work again today and stay late, as DH is on holiday, and then I have Pilates this evening so that will regulate things. Less than 1500 today please!

Finished for the day - 1527 kcals. Yes, I could have made the effort to go below 1500 but at least I feel fully 'satisfied' now! It is a step in the right direction anyway :)

I'm actually enjoying staying at work longer this week! I like being around at the end of the school day (it is also a really busy time of year so it is great to have the extra time) and it is definitely helping to regulate my eating. Having Pilates this evening helped too.

I'm going to try and get up earlier tomorrow and adopt a better routine all round.

I got up, and stayed up, at 6.40 am! :D
I usually wake up then, let the dogs out/DH lets the dogs out, and then I go back to bed and drift in and out of sleep for another hour...
I am hoping that if I simply get used to getting up now then that will pave the way for morning exercise/a Pilates routine. Right now though I am going to tidy the house as the cleaners come today (DH is off work but I don't trust him to do it!). I plan to stop having cleaners soon but at the moment we still need the push of them once a fortnight...
I was down 0.2 lbs today, which means I am down a whopping 0.4 lbs now in 5 days :rolleyes:...well, it never was going to be a 'big' week.

A loss is a loss so yay!!!. Don't get rid of the cleaners - you will miss them (it's only once a fortnight). I wish I could afford cleaners - though I would need more than an hour to get ready for them right now.

A loss is a loss so yay!!!. Don't get rid of the cleaners - you will miss them (it's only once a fortnight). I wish I could afford cleaners - though I would need more than an hour to get ready for them right now.

Thanks Lass :D

No, I really don't think I will...they make me annoyed more than anything! Two come for 2 hours once a fortnight, so 4 hours of cleaning - because it is with an agency I pay £15.50/hr - so it costs me £62 for this (this is a pretty new arrangement and I cancelled it after two week, but I was convinced to give them another try by the offer of a free clean). They do not do 4 hours of useful cleaning - last time they didn't do the ensuite shower room or the downstairs loo (or the lounge, but I don't mind that) because 'they did it last time' :confused:. They do work hard but it is so inefficient! I often re-do jobs that they have done..I would say I get a max of 2 hours proper cleaning out of them really - so a whopping £31/hr. Nope - I cannot see this arrangement continuing much longer!

I also hate having to get everything tidy at a specific time (fine some time because it already is but other times a real PITA). DH thinks they are fine (yes, the clean better than him) but all he sees is the place is completely tidy (I do that) and it has been vacuumed. Last time the vacuumed my study but didn't move the desk chair out at all - so the bit that really needed vacuuming wasn't done - it is stuff like that constantly!

Ok - maybe I don't wish I had a cleaner - it sounds horrendous :(. I know my sister runs a cleaning business and her standards are so high I guess I expected all of them would be the same. Unfortunately she lives a wee bit too far out to fit my house in or I might be able to convince her to give me mates rates. She is very funny when she visits because she never mentions the mess of the house, but I can see her itching to go get her cleaning stuff out - I wish she would! Maybe I will do more cleaning in the spring - my house is so cold in the winter time. It will add to my exercise routine (or maybe be the start of my exercise routine :))

Ok - maybe I don't wish I had a cleaner - it sounds horrendous :(. I know my sister runs a cleaning business and her standards are so high I guess I expected all of them would be the same. Unfortunately she lives a wee bit too far out to fit my house in or I might be able to convince her to give me mates rates. She is very funny when she visits because she never mentions the mess of the house, but I can see her itching to go get her cleaning stuff out - I wish she would! Maybe I will do more cleaning in the spring - my house is so cold in the winter time. It will add to my exercise routine (or maybe be the start of my exercise routine :))

To be fair to them - they were a LOT better today!

I don't mind cleaning really, almost enjoy it...but time escapes me! I think I would love to be a housewife - bet I would get bored of it after a couple of weeks, and if I had less money than I do now I can see the fun in it wearing off even quicker!

Oh yes - I remember those Scottish winters! We used to sit on the floor next to the radiators in Edinburgh rather than on the sofa.

Today was ok - didn't fancy having coq au vin again so had a baked potato with beans. Had soup after school but didn't think of it until I had had a snack or two first - think soup hits the spot and takes the edge off hunger/munchies better so I'll try and have soup first next time. I nearly stopped at 1500 kcals but then caved and had a malteser bunny. I think I need a fresh week now! I'm away doing D of E stuff this weekend in the camper van...which would be fine but one of my colleagues has made curry for everyone on the Saturday night. I guess I could just do a load of veg and have some on top - I'll have to guess the kcals. This HAS to fit in with normal life. The key thing will be to have LESS kcals than maintenance - even if it just one! I'll try to get in as much walking as my foot will allow. Then back in strong on Monday :)

Back