Monkfish

I really like the look of the monkfish recipe in the new magazine, but I have just been to look at the price of monkfish - EEEEEK!!
I know it won't be the same, because the texture would be different, but do you think it would work with a cheaper firm fish, such as cod?

cod would work, I was going to do a monkfish recipe for my mum and dad one day but it was going to cost £30 just for the monkfish!!!!!!!

£30 a kilo at my local fishmonger; £28 a kilo at Waitrose. My sister is going to check out Morrisons fish counter, but I doubt it will be that much cheaper. We will try cod and see if we like the recipe - if so then we might have it with monkfish at some celebratory meal in the future.

Monkfish really wasn't amazing! My OH made us a monkfish meal and it really wasn't much tastier than other white fish, totally not worth the extra monies! But maybe it was my untrained palate, lol.

Yeh it's very pricey and you need to get the tail as fresh as poss for maximum moisture in the flesh. I have a fab recipe that looks the bees knees and will impress your friends at the dinner table.
Guilt head bream is not too expensive I think it's about £6 a fish. Make sure it's gutted and de scaled. It's also nice to use sea bass.
Roughly chop peppers carrots onions lots and tomatoes lemon quaters lime quarters garlic salt and pepper. on a baking tray put half of your veg on it then place the Breams on the veg then throw rest of the veg on top. Spray with froy light cover lightly with foil and bake in oven for 30 mins on 170c take off the foil and bring to table . It looks amazing. :D

Nigel, that sounds delicious and easy (ex hubby was a chef but wouldn't go into the kitchen at home to cook unless he was showing off!) |Have had to teach current hubby about cooking, timing etc! he's getting there, its only taken 15 yrs LOL!

I eat a lot of fish and monkfish is one of my favourites. I have a really great local fishmonger and he's great at suggesting alternatives if he doesn't have any monkfish, so perhaps you could talk to your fishmonger. Mine also stocks frozen monkfish (apparently all the local restaurants buy it from him!), its half the price, although it not as good in quality. It depends what you're doing with it, if you're using it in something like a fish stew or fish curry then frozen is absolutely fine.

I don't know what the recipe is that you're talking about as my magazine hasn't arrived yet but its usually used when a firm texture is needed to that it stays together.

It is monkfish wrapped in parma ham and cooked in the oven, served with lentils. It looks just wonderful. I am going to try it with cod at the weekend and if it is as good as it looks then we might have it with monkfish another time.

Back