morbidly obese to cheerfully overweight!

I now have a ticker.. that's good, the visual representation makes me see how much closer I am now to reaching my goal than I am to my start weight!

been out for lunch, steak, fat chips and salad, and half a pint of beer - would have been healtheir without the chips, (oh, and the beer!) but it was lovely!

Something light for tea later and I should be ok! Got a lot of walking to do this afternoon, so should burn some of it off!

well, yesterday was hectic, and after pigging out the day before I didnt eat much - orange juice, coffees, a cereal bar and some fruit and pineapple for lunch, and half a beef chow mein for supper - this morning I am 3lbs lighter again, so 7lbs less than a week ago - I think this has got to be due to water retention prior to totm, its the only way I can explain it - static for three weeks, then half a stone off in days!

Not complaining by the way, just trying to understand what mechanism is at work here!

... just realised, that's exactly 4 stone gone since last September!!! Two more still to go though!

Last edited:
Hi Sonya, well done with your weightloss so far you have done so well. I hope this week is going ok for you. x

you have done so well.you should be really proud of yourself.good luck with the resr.

hey guys, thanks a lot! I've had a random few days, which has involved a lot of dashing about, and eating at odd times... however, things should be more settled after this week, so I will get focussed again and carry on!

well, I'm stuck at 13 stone... nothing lost in last couple of weeks... however, I have beguin training for race for life, and my thigh and bum muscles are a lot firmer, so I'm hoping that some of this is muscle weight replacing fat... my stomach seems to be shrinking a little, so fingers crossed!

I'm not too concerned so long as I don't gain - I did have a temporary 3lb gain, after a weekend out eating and drinking with a friend, but it went again, so not too concerned by that!

Will keep on, so long as the general trajectory is down, I'm happy - I'm in no big rush!

well, 3lbs gone today, again a sudden drop (again coinciding with end of totm) after a plateau!

All my clothes are too big, went to matalan yesterday for some tops and t shirts... and came out with a 50s style dress... not at all what I normally buy! Size 16 too!!!

Just need to work out how to wear it now and what with!! I may ask for some advice over on the health and beauty forum...

Well done 3lbs is fantastic. So encouraging to be buying smaller clothes in different styles, really makes the whole losing weight seem real.

thanks, I can't quite get my head round the fact that I'm not 'very fat' anymore... I'm still overweight, and want to lose about another 2 stone, but I saw a picture of myself the other day with a friend who I think of as being very slim, and I really don't look all that big compared to her.. bigger, of course, but not hugely so...

I'm wondering how I change my mindset to develop a more realistic body image... I think in the past, when I've lost weight, I've still felt of myself as 'big' and in a way it doesnt help, because it's easy to let the lbs creep back on without recognising the difference...

More than 2/3rds of my excess weight has gone... and I'm wondering if I need to set myself a goal date now to shift these last 25lb... I wonder when would be realistic, as my weight seems to do this funny plateau-ing then dropping thing, or whether setting goals at all may de-rail the process which has gone so well so far..

...after all, I haven't set any dates or worried about time or speed so far, and it has been working for me. I'm now about the same weight I was in my very early 20's.

It's the first time I've been this weight since then, despite a few peaks an troughs between age 22 and 37, the underlying trend was always upwards... then, with eating less, waiting till I am really hungry etc, for the last ten months it has been a general downwards trend... should I just carry on as I am and accept it may take a while?

I stuck over christmas and in the new year at 14st 2lbs for ages and ages... felt like I had stopped losing, but since January, gradually, in bits and bobs, here and there, another 19lbs he gone...

any advice or thoughts?

had a chinese takeaway last night with family, but only ate fruit, a small bowl of muesli and a babybel light during the day, so hopefully not too bad overall... working from home again today, which I always find hard. Onwards and upwards though!

dunno whether to try keeping a food diary again...
today, I've eaten -
special k, skimmed milk
2 small chicken breasts, no skin, oven cooked
one wrap
some pineapple
a tin of sardines
orange juice
coffee
apple

really need to buy some veggies when I go shopping!!

Hi..

Congrats on the weight loss so far :D

Some fruit and veg on that shopping list wouldn't be a bad idea... great for snacking when you're hungry, and the veg will be a great filler for main meals. They'll keep you going for longer.

Keep up the good work :D

cheers... yes, I went to the supermarket last night, and bought a few salad bits, fruit, plus pickled onions and gherkins... my favourite low calorie snacks :)

I've just had a bowl of smartprice muesli and a coffee- chose the muesli as it has no sugar in the ingredients list (I really like alpen, but am trying to go for healthier options!)- well, the smartprice one is ok, but it's very chewy - the oats seem to be bigger, which I'm sure is better for you, but it is a bit like eating animal feed...

I think it would improve if soaked overnight, like bircher muesli... I first ate it in holland, they grate apple into it too, and its really nice.. may try it for tomorrrow morning.

Had 2 oatcakes, cottage cheese, an apple and orange juice for lunch, refried beans in a tortilla wrap with salad for tea... it wasn't very nice tho!

still hungry, may have some cereals and a banana or something later

Last edited:
just done race for life... started off walking, then decided to run... I didn't run all the way, just did the best I could - but was easier than I expected, after doing no training!

Finished it in 40mins, which is slow, but faster than last time I did it about 7 years ago - I was younger, but I was also carrying more weight (I was prob about 2-3 stone more than today I guess)!

Well done on the weight loss so far and congrates for finishing the race for life Big well done x

thanks, I can't quite get my head round the fact that I'm not 'very fat' anymore... I'm still overweight, and want to lose about another 2 stone, but I saw a picture of myself the other day with a friend who I think of as being very slim, and I really don't look all that big compared to her.. bigger, of course, but not hugely so...

I'm wondering how I change my mindset to develop a more realistic body image... I think in the past, when I've lost weight, I've still felt of myself as 'big' and in a way it doesnt help, because it's easy to let the lbs creep back on without recognising the difference...

Hi Sonya! Well done with the weight loss!

I know exactly what you mean about the mental image of yourself, it takes time to believe that its really you. I still have moments when i dont recognise myself. I was standing in Costa today, and there was this very slim young blonde woman in front of me, there was a mirror on the opposite wall and I could see a reflection of her and me together, and really Im not much bigger than her, 1 size if that. But I dont feel that slim mentally, in fact if im not looking at myself in a reflection I feel fat. I feel like im big, I just find it hard to believe what I see with my own eyes.

When I was a good 2 stone heavier than I am now, I felt thinner. Odd but true, and at that time I thought I was pretty thin, but looking back on pictures of me then I cant believe how much bigger I was.

When I was very big, 17 to 18 stone, I mentally felt smaller than I was, and seeing pictures of myself was a shock. I just didnt believe them.

I guess eventually my mental size and my real size will coincide, but it will take time, and I guess it will for you too.

Back