Motivation!

Mala23

Hello!

I've decided to re-join slimming world this week after an attempt last autumn (Lost nearly 1 stone in a month) but due to my job loss it all went...well down the pan. Pleased to say that over 2 months I haven't gained as much as I thought I had! I've been reading so many inspirational stories here, and I know I am not the only one who has had it rough and used food to comfort me. So *deep breath* here it goes...ready to take the plunge for the better!

I thought I'd share an idea for motivation with you all, as I know how easy it is to lose it...no matter how much progress we have made, sometimes all it has taken is one bad day...one night out...to ruin it and to throw it all away :(

Well ladies (and gents) why not write down every single reason you can think of to lose weight? Even ones you have never admitted to anyone...or said out loud! Stick it on your fridge, or save it on your PC and every time you feel yourself slipping, or wanting to syn, syn and syn have a read and remind yourself why you're doing this.

Sounds obvious I guess but I managed to find over 150 reasons! From wanting to be able to wear skinny jeans to showing people what I have achieved...to even splashing out on a brand new wardrobe! I have written out these reasons and kept it on my desktop. I find when I read through it, it helps me to stay focused on my goal and to remember that although it isn't easy to lose this weight it's now or never...I just want to get through it as quickly as I can and truly be happy again :D

I hope this helps!

This is a good idea. It's so easy to forget the reasons when temptations are around. I'd really love to hear the 150 you thought up, if your fingers can take it!

PinkToaster said:
This is a good idea. It's so easy to forget the reasons when temptations are around. I'd really love to hear the 150 you thought up, if your fingers can take it!

Im with you PinkToaster, love to here all your reasons lol

I like your idea for motivation, great tip x

Ok, so I have taken out some that were really really personal reasons, but here are 135! Some of them may be really similar but I did this as on the spur and wrote whatever came into my mind:

1. I want to be smaller than my mother in law
2. I want to fit into the asian outfits I had sewn when I got married
3. I want room to spare in those outfits!
4. I want my husband to be strict and help
5. I want to be able to go into any shop and buy with confidence
6. I want to be able to buy a coat that I can button up
7. I want to be able to shop where I used to
8. I want to wear dresses
9. I want to wear skirts again
10. I want to feel sexy!
11. I want to buy lingerie in a size 12
12. I want to wear stockings without fat on my thighs spilling out the top!
13. I want to fit into my old bras but I want new clothes!
14. I want to look fabulous and show off for wedding season this year.
15. I want my in laws to see me and be shocked!
16. I want a whole new wardrobe
17. I want people to say to my husband: You got married again!
18. I want to go to designer Indian shops and and buy myself a ready made outfits!
19. Ready made saris and ready made blouses!
20. I want to get my hair done at the end and people to think: OMG look at what she has achieved
21. I want to feel confident
22. I want to get my personality back!
23. I don’t want to be afraid or shy
24. I want to be who I used to be
25. I want to go to Alton Towers and be able to fit on a ride and not feel embarrassed
26. I don’t want to have to worry about weight restrictions at Alton Towers etc.
27. I want us to go on holiday this year to a beach and actually be able to wear a bikini – an actual bikini and walk around just like slimmer women do.
28. If maxi dresses are still in fashion this year then I am going to get one from Monsoon and not look pregnant.
29. I want to look normal
30. I want to be able to look into the mirror and like myself – and think “yeah I look good today.”
31. I want to be able to sit on the floor for a long time
32. I want to be able to cross my legs
33. Goodbye elasticised trousers from Evans!
34. I want to buy a sexy pair of jeans
35. Bum hugging clothes and sexy legs
36. I want to go the Gucci shop and try on a jacket!
37. I would like to be able to buy normal bra sizes!
38. Bras from La Senza!
39. I don’t want to have to wear stretchy pants.
40. I don’t want to have to leave my cardigan on at work because I don’t feel confident enough to take it off.
41. Driving: don’t want steering wheel to stick into my stomach
42. I want to know what it feels like to have a flat stomach!
43. My hair will look longer once I have lost weight
44. I want to wear sleeveless tops and be able to show my tattoos off
45. I don’t want to turn to chocolate when I feel upset
46. I don’t want to feel guilty when I eat
47. I want to be able to do yoga and pilates comfortably
48. I want to get rid of all my spots
49. I want women to look at me and be inspired!
50. I want men to look at me and want me – they might not know I am taken though so I will be with my husband and make it obvious I am taken...!
51. I want to feel better and happier
52. I want to feel confident so I can achieve what I want to achieve in life
53. I want Nigella Lawson’s curves – voluptuous and fabulous.
54. Ready made Indian outfits! Lots and lots!
55. When somebody buys me an Asian outfit from India I want to be able to fit into it and not panic that it won’t.
56. I want to look fantastic and go to my relatives house...and I want them to be shocked that it is me! This is what I really want! Want their jaws to drop!
57. I want to wear high heels and show off my sexy legs.
58. I want to have faith in God.
59. God will make this happen! Just like I met the perfect man!
60. I want to have that much faith in God that I know that I will lose this weight in the time I want to lose it and look fantastic.
61. I want to keep it a surprise. A complete transformation.
62. I want to have my photos taken and feel confident having them taken.
63. I want to have a professional naked photo shoot and love my new body
64. I want to buy a sexy little black dress
65. I want to fit into my husbands clothes. Like you see in the movies where a girl has spent the night with her boyfriend and the next day is wearing a t-shirt that is too big for her.
66. I want to be taken places and shown off
67. I want to get my periods back to normal and know that I can have a baby when I am ready
68. I want to be fertile
69. I want to get out of this cycle of hurting myself
70. If my friend can do it then I can do it!
71. I abuse myself with food and I want to stop it.
72. I have managed to cut out a lot of negativity in life and just have this to go!
73. If and when I get pregnant I want to stay on slimming world
74. I want to be able to lose the weight instead of being more ashamed of myself after having my baby
75. When I went to Paris years ago, I had a lot of spending money but didn’t feel comfortable buying clothes. Nothing would fit! I want to go back there and buy something.
76. I want my husband to be proud of me
77. I don’t want to feel embarrassed when I have sex with my husband
78. I don’t want to hear nasty remarks from family members!
79. I want to feel confident when I am sitting with my slim sister in laws and not worry about them thinking how disgusting and ugly I look.
80. I am being honest with myself here! I should praise myself I am facing my fears!
81. I want to feel fit and healthy – I don’t want to lose my breath going up and down steps
82. I don’t want to feel ashamed, angry and embarrassed with myself anymore. It’s time to put that to an end.
83. I don’t want to feel so self-conscious eating food I love
84. I want to show my mother in law that you can make food without the fat in it
85. I want to use more fry light.
86. I want to show family that you can use fry light and food tastes fantastic.
87. I can do this! I am happy that slimming world have foods that I can eat a lot of!!!
88. I can have pasta packets, noodles, coke zero, quorn and as much of these foods as I want.
89. I want to stay with Slimming World to learn more about what I can eat and what I can have a lot of. There’s lots more tasty recipes to discover!
90. I don’t want to look into a mirror and see a double chin!
91. I want my cheekbones back
92. I feel like I have become inflated and I want to deflate myself!
93. I want the clothes I wear now (22/20) to be super loose
94. I want to be able to wear shirts and blouses and do the buttons up.
95. No gaping situation with the shirts.
96. I want to treat myself to a really nice business suit. A really nice and stylish one, I want to go to meetings and wear it.
97. I want to show my figure off and I don’t want to have to hide my bum or stomach
98. I would love to wear a short sleeve t-shirt and pair of jeans and look fantastic
99. I really want to do that! See no. 96
100. I want to have more sex with my husband!
101. I want my husband to lift me up and carry me into the house.
102. I want to go to a beautiful spa and have full body massages without feeling self conscious.
103. I want to look into the mirror properly and like what I see. No more avoiding my image.
104. I want to keep “tagged” photos of myself on Facebook and not un tag those I look fat in.
105. I want to prove people wrong...those who never believed in me and made me feel worse.
106. I want to wear shorts and sleeveless tops in the summer for the first time in years
107. No more embarrassing situations where clothes don’t fit and I have nothing to wear
108. I want to be able to find my size easily in shops, instead of looking for the biggest size they have.
109. I want to be more confident and more sociable
110. No more flabby arms! I want to show off toned slender arms.
111. Don’t want to feel embarrassed when I go to get waxed
112. I want to avoid diabetes and other illnesses
113. I want to see myself go down in size and weight and feel happy seeing the difference
114. I want to get the perfect job and wow the interviewers
115. Want to feel comfortable being naked in front of my husband
116. I want to get this weight loss out of the way and enjoy my life
117. I want to go orbing and parachuting
118. I want to fly in an aeroplane without feeling too restricted in the seat because of my size
119. ^ No. 118 goes for trains too!
120. No more feeling sweaty and out of breath walking short distances
121. I want to make my dreams come true, and be the size I always wished I could be
122. I want to be able to enjoy eating out. No feelings of guilt after!
123. Goodbye water retention and puffy feet.
124. I want my calves to fit into my UGG boots
125. I want to be a happy healthy mother to my future children
126. Don’t want my kids to feel ashamed having an obese mum
127. I want to go for a professional photo shoot with my husband after I have lost weight
128. I (secretly) don’t want to feel insecure that my husband will leave me for a slimmer woman
129. To the ex who tore me apart over my weight: Look at me now!
130. No more frumpy clothes from Evans (even though the odd item is nice...)!
131. Want to rediscover my passion for shopping
132. Don’t want people to think I am pregnant because my stomach looks like a football
133. I want to do forward rolls!
134. I will start saving money now to treat myself to a brand new wardrobe
135. No more snoring

I hope this inspires you all to write your reasons! x

Wow Mala,

That was fantastic. Thank you for posting all your reasons. It's made me really think about all the reasons why I want to lose weight. Pregnant at the moment so its more keep the weight gain reasonable. I will defiantly post my reasons later today once Ive got them sorted in my head.

Thank you again, well done for starting SW and good luck x

I did this. On the night before I re-joined slimming world, I wrote down all my reasons in a book and every day I write how I'm feeling about the plan in it (i'm a diary type person).

It's good because I can read it back when i'm feeling low...

I don't have 135 reasons though!!!! Mine are more general and I have about 10!!

xx

Hiya,

Ive finally found the time to sit down and write my reasons

During Pregnancy

1) I want to make sure I have a healthy pregnancy
2) Baby gets all the nutrients he/she needs
3) Gain a reasonable amount of weight
4) Have a easy labour
5) Recover quickly after labour

After Pregnancy

1) I want to be a yummy mummy
2) I want to gain my figure back
3) Prove to my Hubby that a mum of two and 30 can be a 10/12
4) Feel sexy after two children
5) See myself how my husband sees me....a sexy, beautiful woman
6) To feel comfortable in my own skin/body
7) Not get stressed walking into a clothes shop because Ive got to buy trousers...Have a enough trouble with leg length let alone bum and thighs
8) Feel comfortable around my sister in law's
9) Not feeling like im frumpy mum around my two sister in laws who arent having children and are slim and sexy
10) To stop worrying about my weight, once and for all
11) To buy myself a new wardrobe (hubby is gonna eat his words on No 3)
12) Be a good role model to my children
13) To not have to think about a 'diet' ever again.
14) Feel confident in my pictures and not being self critical
15) To not get stressed out what to wear when going to out with friends
16) Feel comfortable with my thighs, and be comfortable to wear short skirts
17) Start buying sexy underwear again
18) Learn to love all my parts of my body good and bad
19) Make more of an effort with my apperance, such as my nails and hair
20) Love myself

Thats all I can think of, but has given me my motivation :D

Thats fabulous! I totally hear you about getting stressed trying to find something nice that fits which is why i now avoid shopping as i'm mainly limited to Evans. I get so stressed sometimes that I refuse to go out! Cannot wait to be able to throw on anything and feel gorgeous. Congratulations on your pregnancy I wish you weight loss success! Xx

1. I want to live a long life an not die before I'm 60 from weight related issues..
2. I want to find someone to love me
3. I want to believe that someone could love me
4. I want to walk down the street and not think that every person I pass is thinking to themselves "look at that fat git"
5. I want to be able to do my job properly again ( the next few are related to this )
6. I want to not worry about breaking someones ceiling if I go up in their loft.
7. I want to be able to get certified to use a cherry picker ( I can't at the moment because I'm too big to fit in the safety harness )
8. I want to not worry if a ladder can support me
9. I want to be able to go somewhere with tables and chairs ( meetings, restraunts etc ) and not worry beforehand if the chairs have arms so that I fit them
10. I want to be able to buy any car I want and not worry if I'll fit in the seat ( some with center consoles I'm too wide, some I'm too long in the leg but that's caused by a big bum pushing me forwards )
11. I want to go to an amusement park and be able to ride the rides.
12. I want to be able to walk uphill without getting out of breath.

and I'm sure there are lots more but I've reduced myself to tears thinking about it and it's hard to type.. :(

the honesty in this thread is overwhelming, i wish i could be so honest but dont feel ready to share, but wanted to say thank you to those that have.
being fat is not just a physical issue, and this thread proves that.
please dont be sad, be proud that you have been brave and that is another step closer to your goal, i hope i can share these deep 'wants' oneday.x

My reasons are and were:

To not be afraid to get my arms out
To feel sexy in skimpy lingerie (and not worry about the "right" way to spawl)
To be the skinny sister
To be able to buy knee boots somewhere other than Evans (though I don't think that ones' ever going to work)
To not have people look at me and think "fat *****"
To be able to go swimming in the public pool
To wear a bikini on the beach with my skinny friends
To not feel like the token fatso
To be able to wear silly fashion clothes and not feel like a farce
To be able to keep up with my nieces and nephews
To be happy with the way I look
To not be afraid of giving my poor husband a dead leg when I sit on his knee
To not cringe at every photo taken of me
To actually like how I look in everything I own.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the mo.

Briiliant reasons - thanks everyone.

That is amazing. I see so many that are similar to the reasons that I desire to lose the weight! I think that my final (the one that has put me over the edge) I don't want to be twice the size of my sister when I stand up with her at ther wedding.

Thanks to all those who have posted. You should be very proud of yourselves.

I too haven't quite got the courage to post my list (heck, I've not even posted my personal info - start weight etc and I've been here for over a year!!!!) Some of this has to do with publicising this site so much at group, I'm scared that someone from my class will be on, and recognise my stats in real life!!!!

Don't worry if your list isn't as long as someone elses...... size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts ;)

Wow Mala
Well done, I can honestly say mine is almost the same as yours. We are both the same size and it is as if you have taken my thought and wrote them down.

Good luck with your weight loss journey

This is a brilliant thread! I'm very new to all this sharing online stuff but I'll give it a go :)

1. I don't want to be struggling to fit into a Size 18 anymore
2. I don't want to go shopping and have to avoid places like Topshop as they don't go high enough in size
3. I want to go a uni reunion and not have everyone looking at me like I've grown 2 heads
4. I want to know that people are whispering about me because I look amazing, not because I've piled it on
5. I want people who haven't seen me for ages to be shocked for the right reasons, and not say 'You look well' - I hate that.
6. I want to be the same weight I was when I started uni
7. I want to stop crying when I look in the mirror:cry:
8. I want to stop standing behind my friends in photos to hide my body
9. I want to accept the fact that I am overweight and it's not just going to go away
10. I want to recognise the fact that bingeing on food and wine is going to make me feel worse, not better
11. I want to fall in love and not be scared they're going to leave me because I'm fat
12. I want to be able to recognise that I am a good person and I deserve to be loved
13. I want to wear the 3 wardrobes full of clothes I have that don't fit
14. I have 2 years until I'm 30 and I want to wear a beautful dress at my party
15. I want to look gorgeous as a bridesmaid in August
16. I want to wear colour!
17. I want to become a Sw consultant
18. I want to post my before and after pics on here
19. I want to stop being the 'fat, bubbly, fun girl!'
20. I want to look in the mirror and say 'You look amazing' not 'Can you see my flab?'
21. I want to feel in control for once
22. I want to wear a bikini, leggings, skinny jeans, jumper dresses and all those other things I would never touch right now.

I think that's it but I'm sure I'll think of more!

1. I want to live a long life an not die before I'm 60 from weight related issues..
2. I want to find someone to love me
3. I want to believe that someone could love me
4. I want to walk down the street and not think that every person I pass is thinking to themselves "look at that fat git"
5. I want to be able to do my job properly again ( the next few are related to this )
6. I want to not worry about breaking someones ceiling if I go up in their loft.
7. I want to be able to get certified to use a cherry picker ( I can't at the moment because I'm too big to fit in the safety harness )
8. I want to not worry if a ladder can support me
9. I want to be able to go somewhere with tables and chairs ( meetings, restraunts etc ) and not worry beforehand if the chairs have arms so that I fit them
10. I want to be able to buy any car I want and not worry if I'll fit in the seat ( some with center consoles I'm too wide, some I'm too long in the leg but that's caused by a big bum pushing me forwards )
11. I want to go to an amusement park and be able to ride the rides.
12. I want to be able to walk uphill without getting out of breath.

and I'm sure there are lots more but I've reduced myself to tears thinking about it and it's hard to type.. :(

Coljack, thank you for being really honest :)

When I wrote mine, I sat with my husband and said all my reasons out aloud, a lot of which were really really hard to admit because for so long I had pushed the thoughts aside and tried not to think about them. I must have cried buckets, but I felt so much better after and more determined to never ever feel like crap again.

I think one of the hardest things to admit was....not fitting in a seat at an amusement park. I remember managing to get on but having to be moved to a "bigger" seat and queues of people just watching me. And then to top it all off they had to find me a bigger seat belt because that one wouldn't close around my waist...I felt so embarrassed as there were all these people watching me, the kids on the ride were getting impatient because I had held them up and in the end I jumped off and refused to go on it. I couldn't believe I had let things get so bad! I never admitted it to my husband on the day...how hurt and ashamed I felt...instead I stuffed my face when I got home and tried to forget it all.

But now...I am so determined to never feel like that again, to never put myself through it and I know I can change it, with a bit of hard work and effort! I think, as much as I get impatient with weight loss...at the end of the day I've spent years and years putting on the weight and to lose it all, and potentially reach my goal at the end of the year (fingers crossed!) is amazing!

I hope you will find that strength and determination through your reasons and wish you success :) x

Back