Mushrooms!

OpalLilyEats

Gold Member
Mushrooms are a cheap and healthy favourite of mine ever present on my shopping list!

However, apart from including them in almost every meal I can (e.g. spag bol, stir fries etc) if I'm serving them generally I tend to just fry them in a few sprays of frylite, sprinkle on a dash of water and then grind black pepper like mad over the top of them.

It got me wondering, how do you cook yours?! Any favourite methods or hints/tips to inspire a change? :)

hi, i sometimes get 3 of the big ones and stuff them with dry fried red onion and one mini babybel light each then ovenbake for 20 mins. add some baked beans and count the babybels as my hexa and the rest is superfree :)

Garlic and Mushroom sauce (amazing stirred through pasta, in jacket potato or baked sweet potato and fab on wholemeal toast...great as a topping for steak / pork chops / chicken breasts!)

0.5 syns, serves 4

10 garlic cloves unpeeled
Fry Light
340g/12oz mushrooms, chopped
113ml/4fl oz chicken stock
4 tbsp buttermilk
4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley

Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4. Place the garlic on a baking sheet, spray wth fry light and bake for 15 ins or until softened. Remove from the oven and gently squeeze the cloves out of their papery skins into a bowl.

2. Heat a pan sprayed with Fry Light, add mushrooms and fry until tender, add the the garlic and buttermilk. Stir in the chicken stock, bring to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with Parsley

This can be blended until smooth if you'd prefer a non chunky sauce for pasta / steak, but i prefer the chunky mushrooms lol x

i like mine cooked in veg stock, mixed herbs, a chopped galic clove and simmer the button mushrooms for 10mins tastes nice with a baked potato or on toast with a poached egg =]

Garlic and Mushroom sauce (amazing stirred through pasta, in jacket potato or baked sweet potato and fab on wholemeal toast...great as a topping for steak / pork chops / chicken breasts!)

0.5 syns, serves 4

10 garlic cloves unpeeled
Fry Light
340g/12oz mushrooms, chopped
113ml/4fl oz chicken stock
4 tbsp buttermilk
4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley

Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4. Place the garlic on a baking sheet, spray wth fry light and bake for 15 ins or until softened. Remove from the oven and gently squeeze the cloves out of their papery skins into a bowl.

2. Heat a pan sprayed with Fry Light, add mushrooms and fry until tender, add the the garlic and buttermilk. Stir in the chicken stock, bring to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with Parsley

This can be blended until smooth if you'd prefer a non chunky sauce for pasta / steak, but i prefer the chunky mushrooms lol x

Wow - that sounds incredible!! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Can't wait to try this now!! Thank you :)

You are very welcome, i LOVE mushrooms too ha ha! This is one of my faves! :D xx I

I used to stuff them with a mix of rice onion dryer herbs & cream cheese .....thanks for bringing that recipe back to me when on tesco diets I used to love it :)

Sent from my Arc using MiniMins

You certainly can't beat mushrooms I agree. Although I do love them cooked, I also like them raw, fairly thinly sliced, in salads and pasta salad :)

Really?! I don't think I've ever had them raw!! I guess I always assumed that you couldn't because you rarely see them like that!

Ha ha, yes magic mushrooms! I love them too, not a fan of veg but could get through loads of mushrooms. In fact if I have steak I have half the plate of mushrooms, half of the rest of my meal. The only thing I find is when I fry them in frylight they tend to go a bit watery and more boiled looking. Still love em though. I sometimes stuff the big ones with mince,tom puree,garlic,onion, the sprinkle he a choice cheese over the top. The I find I dont have "mushroom" for anything else as I am full. Sorry could not resist that folks :)

Mushrooms are a cheap and healthy favourite of mine ever present on my shopping list!

However, apart from including them in almost every meal I can (e.g. spag bol, stir fries etc) if I'm serving them generally I tend to just fry them in a few sprays of frylite, sprinkle on a dash of water and then grind black pepper like mad over the top of them.

It got me wondering, how do you cook yours?! Any favourite methods or hints/tips to inspire a change? :)

I like to cook mine in garlic pepper, it's lush.
Or blitz 2 HEB slices of wholemeal bread, bind together with egg to make breaded mushrooms.
Also I really enjoy big mushrooms stuffed with onion, spinach, topped with sliced tomato and melted cheese.

I love mushrooms, i eat them everyday! I fry in fry light, take off the heat & stir in some quark & some garlic & chilli salt.

Oh yes, mushrooms are ace! I put them in practically everything. I also use a HEX A to stuff the big ones with Light Philadelphia, top with Parmesan and oven bake - great with steak!

Back