My 8 week holiday challenge diary

So I go on holiday exactly 8 weeks from today. This is both exciting and daunting - exciting because I'll get a week of total rest and relaxation with my lovely husband and kids, daunting because of the amount of time I'll be spending in a swimsuit at nearly 16stone :eek: Every year I look at the holiday snaps and cringe, and every year I have to buy holiday clothes another size larger. Not this year. 8 weeks is not enough time to complete transform myself, but it is enough to make a difference and that is what I am going to try and do.

My mission, then, is to shape up as much as I possibly can in the next 8 weeks. I'm not going to set myself a specific goal in terms of how much I want to lose, but rather a challenge to stay on plan as much as possible between now and the holiday, with the aim of losing as much weight as possible (without being daft about it), and toning up a bit as well.

1. Stick to the plan - simples, right?
2. Mix in lots of SP days and meals - will probably have mostly SP lunches, with some carbs added at dinner, as this works best with the family.
3. No alcohol until the holiday - not simples, but necessary. Wine is the single greatest threat to my weight loss and I need to cut it out if I am going to succeed.
4. Regular exercise - better dust off that swimming costume early and revive my much neglected gym membership.
5. Log every day's food, activity and attitude on here.

It is not much of a plan, but it is the one I am going with LOL

Weight this morning 15st 12lbs

Wish me luck :)

Day One

I've got a sore head from drinking too much wine last night, and this is a reminder of why cutting out the alcohol is sooo important if I want to lose weight for the holiday. Not only does it have a stupid number of syns, but today I am fighting off the overwhelming urge to eat white bread and butter by the loaf, and order a greasy takeaway for tea. I read in SW magazine that everyone has an alcohol 'tipping point' - once you pass that point you not only make poor choices at the time, but the next day you can consume up to 6000 extra calories via the infamous hangover munchies. It is certainly a pattern I recognise. I have fended off the carb craving with some pasta for lunch and am going to put a leg of lamb in the oven for tea now, so that I won't be tempted to say 'sod it' and order Chinese later. So today's diary looks like

Breakfast - no breakfast, still in bed lol

Lunch - bacon and mushroom pasta with lots of mushrooms and onions. Sauce made from 35g Philadelphia Light, sprinkled with 15g cheese (HEX A)

Dinner - Roast lamb, lots and lots of roast veg (peppers, onion, mushrooms, carrot, BNS, aubergine) and a few potatoes.

Snack - Homemade hummus and carrot sticks (2 syns for the Tahini)

Exercise - nothing specific, but spending a lot of today on housework, so keeping moving.

Hi Violet, sounds like a plan to me. Im hoping to get back to work from being on sick in approx. 8 weeks so im almost on same time scale as you.
Wish you all the best and good luck, you can do this :D

Day One

I've got a sore head from drinking too much wine last night, and this is a reminder of why cutting out the alcohol is sooo important if I want to lose weight for the holiday. Not only does it have a stupid number of syns, but today I am fighting off the overwhelming urge to eat white bread and butter by the loaf, and order a greasy takeaway for tea. I read in SW magazine that everyone has an alcohol 'tipping point' - once you pass that point you not only make poor choices at the time, but the next day you can consume up to 6000 extra calories via the infamous hangover munchies. It is certainly a pattern I recognise. I have fended off the carb craving with some pasta for lunch and am going to put a leg of lamb in the oven for tea now, so that I won't be tempted to say 'sod it' and order Chinese later..

And that's why im not drinking over next few weeks lol

Thanks Mick - do you have a food diary? Maybe we can encourage each other over the next couple of months?

Well, I finally succumbed to the hangover munchies, with cheese and biscuits late at night... Very cross with myself this morning as I'm sure I wasn't even really hungry. Anyway, on the bright side, I feel perkier today, after a good night's sleep and ready to take this on.

Day 2

Breakfast - none (don't really do breakfast)

Lunch - Cauliflower and broccoli cheese, with onions and bacon (made with Philadelphia Light 35g, and 15g cheddar (HEX A)

Dinner - Homemade lamb and vegetable curry, with boiled rice (10 syns for light coconut milk, and thai green curry paste)

Snack - smoked salmon dip (2 syns) with carrot sticks

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm trying to do as well. My holiday is in ten weeks and the thought of getting into a bikini terrifies me lol! Just joined a gym as well in the attempt to do more exercise which will involve lifting some weights rather than the lid of the biscuit tin :p

Best of luck Violet! You can totally do it ;)

your welcome Violet, yea there should be link to my food diary in my signature below :D

Back