My journey to graduation and marriage!

biffy

Hi everyone! I’m a 19 year old student from Devon. I’m graduating in 2012 and really want to have lost the weight for my graduation. Also, I recently got engaged and me and my partner are hoping to get married in 2013, I’m hoping to lose lots of weight this year and keep it off for the wedding.

To begin with I’m going to eat healthily (couting calories) and start regular exercise. I’ve lost 2 stone before (but have nearly put it all back on!) so will try and go about losing weight in the same way. I live with my partner and he is hoping to lose a little bit as well, so hopefully he will support me in my journey.

I’m thinking about taking up running. I’m very very unfit and know I won’t be able to run very far to begin with, but hopefully I will get better as time goes on. I’m doing the race for life this year for my gran who sadly passed away just before Christmas, so I really want to be able to run the 5K by June. I’m also getting the davinafit DVD next week so will start doing 30 minute work outs in the mornings. I also really love swimming so will go when I have the time.

In 2 weeks time I start my second year placement which is a 3 hour drive away. I’ll be staying away for 3 nights a week at a friend’s house and am worried that the stress of being away is going to result in me eating rubbish. I’m hoping that keeping this diary will help keep me on track.

I want to lose 3 stone this year. So I will be 12 stone 10lb’s by the end. I have made a few short term goals to help keep me motivated:

I will keep a food and exercise diary and record my highs and lows on here. I'm going to take photos of myself to help with motivation. Weigh in day will be Fridays.

Goals:

1. To have an “overweight” BMI (treat = big bar of chocolate)
2. To have lost half a stone (treat = weekend away at Bath Spa)
3. To have lost a stone (treat = go for a meal somewhere nice)
4. To have lost a stone and half (treat = new pair of jeans)
5. To have lost two stone (treat = new dress)
6. To have lost two and a half stone (treat = another meal? TBC)
7. To have lost three stone, be at goal and have a healthy BMI (treat = go wedding dress window shopping!)

I’d be really grateful of any support or advice. Also any quick, easy and cheap recipes.

So here it goes... !

Last edited:
My diet doesn't start until tomorrow, but I thought I would write in my diary just so I get into the habbit of writing in here. Today I bought new scales, I decided I need electronic scales, as I'm so tall I can barely see how much I weigh on the old ones! I'm going to put all the food that I can't eat away somewhere so that I'm not tempted.

I am going to do this :) I think the first week will be the biggest hurdle. It's going to take a while for my body to get used to the new lifestyle. I'm actually a little bit excited about finally making changes to myself :)

Heya hun, good luck with everything! I'm sure you're going to do great, you've got some pretty intense motivations kicking you up the arse, lol.

I'm always on the look out for cheap recipes, so I'll try and pass them along. Most of the time I just go to the market and stock up on vegetables and then get a cheap packet of mince or something.

I have just found this great recipe for soup that is pretty cheap, pretty low calorie and very filling.
Basically, you boil up some lentils until they're soft (takes ages though!) when they're soft, drain and rinse them. Boil up some veg; so far I've used carrot and swede, and carrot, parsnip and potato, but I'm going to try butternut squash and pepper next week.
When everything's cooked, add the two together, mix in a veg stock cube and some spices to taster (i've also found that those chicken stock jelly things give a nice flavour.)
whack it in a blender and blend until smooth.
I was a bit sceptical about the lentils, but actually it's ok.

Anyway, keep up with the diary, this is a really great site for support.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your support :) That soup sounds really nice. My blender is at my parents house so I'll grab it when I next go to see them.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I saw your pictures, and, wow, you should be so proud of yourself.

Hey Biffy,

feeling excited is a great attitude and feeling to have and with that attitude you'll complete the weight loss aspect of health and fitness in no time. So, welcome aboard, there is plenty of support to get you through the first week.

Bella

Thanks Bella. I'm so grateful of this support.

Last night I decided to follow the weight watchers discover points plan. I've done it before and it worked for me. I think it will help for me to have some structure in my diet, like knowing I have x amount of points left for the day. I've worked out I can have 25 points a day.

I'm not going to the weekly clubs because I can't afford it. Instead I'm using my Mum's books and points calculator, but I'm not seeing my Mum until saturday, so I'm managing with online calculators instead until then. There might be mistakes in my point counting, please let me know if there is.

Ok, so heres my first day:

Breakfast:

2 shredded wheats (2)
Milk (.5)

Lunch:

1 boiled egg (2)
2 slices toast (4)
Butter (.5)
Apple (1)
Light dairylea cheese triangle (1)

Packet of french fries (2)

Dinner:

Sweet potato and lentil curry (2)
Naan bread (6)
Kiwi (1)

Later on I think I'll have...

Muller light yoghurt (1)

Exercise:

1 hour of swimming

Total points: 23

So I have 2 points that I will save up for friday night when I'm going out for my friends birthday :)

Today has been a lot easier than yesterday. I've not been hungry all day like I was yesterday, but that could just be because i've been sat on my desk all day revising, so no exercise :eek: This morning I was so tempted to weigh myself, just to see if I had gone down by a tiny little bit, but I managed to resist temptation as I want to wait until monday.

Me and my OH made a massive spag bol today, we have enough to feed us tomorrow as well! I used lean mince and passata, and then added mushrooms and onions. Wasn't sure on how to many points to give it. I've given 3 points to the pasta and 5 points to the mince (but I didn't eat it all in the end). Please tell me if this is wrong.

Anyway, heres what I had today:

Breakfast

2 shredded wheats (2)
Milk (1)

Lunch

1 boiled egg (2)
2 slices of toast (4)
Butter (1/2)
Grapes (1)
Muller light yoghurt (1)

Snack

Cereal bar (2)
Handful of shreddies (1/2)

Dinner

100g pasta (3)
180g lean steak mince (5)
Passata (0)
Onion (0)
Mushrooms (0)
Mini milk (1/2)

Total points: 22.5

Today has been another good day :D

Breakfast:
2 shredded wheats (2)
Milk (1)

Lunch:
1 boiled egg (2)
2 slices of toast (4)
Kiwi (1)
Muller light yog (1)

A few little chocolates that I got for christmas (1)

Dinner:
Pasta (3)
Mince (5)
Passata (0)
Mushrooms (0)
Onion (0)

Snack (2)

Total points: 22

At the moment i'm stuffed from my spag bol, but might have something to eat later. I'll allow myself 2 points incase I want something later on.

Exercise: 45 mins exercise DVD

Biffy keep stacking those good days one upon the next..what exercise DVD are you using? I went to WW here while on hols even though I am not following their program..i think many are really loving the new points system..one thing about the American WW is a much higher emphasis on exercise and activity..when i did try WW Uk i remember asking a group leader about her lack of bringing exercise up and she says she loses members if she stresses exercise?

With UK WW you can exercise as much as you like. Exercise will earn you extra points depending on what you do and how much you do. I can't really comment on the groups because I've never been to one. The first time I done WW I used my Mum's books and points calculator (as she used to go to the groups), and I've had to do the same this time as I can't afford to go to groups.

The exercise DVD I'm using is called "Antony's 70's disco workout". It's by an awful british "celebrity" and is probably the worst exercise DVD ever. I bought it years ago because I thought it looked like good fun. It's the only exercise DVD I have in my flat, until saturday when my Mum is bringing me her Davina Mccall DVD's, which are really good . So next week I will be using those and ditching the 70's disco workout :p

Although my OH will be disappointed, he enjoys laughing at me doing the silly disco moves!

Hi x Just wanted to say good luck with your diet, The new WW plan does look good and you are doing well :D I ve just ordered Chantelles Boot Camp! on DVD only because it had a good write up in one of the magazines lol.. I have to force myself to do exercise but am easing into my diet first. I look forward to seeing how you get on x

Thanks :) Good luck with your weight loss... we can do it!! Let me know what Chantelle's boot camp DVD is like, would love to try out some different DVD's. I know what you mean about the exercise, I really want to start running but can't pluck up the courage to actually do it.... hopefully tomorrow will be my day.

Another good day today! I went into town to do my theory test this afternoon and I passed :D Wooo! Now I can get on with revision for my exams that are next week. I'm getting really stressed about my exams, I don't feel ready for them at all and don't have the time to do as much revision as I'd like to. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that I get a lot done tomorrow. Anyway, food diary...

Breakfast

2 Shredded wheats (2)
Milk (1)

Lunch:

Small jacket potato (3)
Tuna (1)
Light mayonnaise (1.5)
Muller light (1)

1 chocolate truffle (0.5)

WW chocolate cake bar (1.5)

Dinner

150g chicken breast (3.5)
Passata (0)
Mushrooms (0)
Onion (0)
New potatoes (2)
Carrots (0)
Brocolli (0)

1/2 a Banana (1)

Custard (2)

Total: 19.5

I'm worried that I'm not using up my points. I'm meant to have 25 points a day. I'm not going hungry (infact the opposite!), but I don't want my metabolism to slow down.

I could be that I'm not calculating the points right, cause i haven't got the WW books yet. I'm meant to have 25 points a day, but when I turn 20 in a couple of weeks time that will go down to 24, so realistically I try to stay under... but I think19 is too low. Has anyone else got any advice on this? I don't want to eat just to use up my points.

Your points do look right to me! What you could do to ensure your metabolism doesn't slow down is almost have a treat night, maybe after the weigh-in (at home etc.) or really have something you'll enjoy. This will a) seem like a great treat and b) the higher calories will 'kick' the metabolism into working harder. Just don't do it too close before the weigh in day.

I also noticed you point bread at 4. i would double check that using the calculator, pretty sure that my bread works out at 1.5 points for 1 slice, or 2.5 for too. Worth mentioning.

As for eating all your points, I rarely do! I always have a 4-6 point buffer. Partly to counteract and underestimation. Partly because I don't really have time. Partly because I'm stupid and think that if I don't eat all my points I'll lose weight quicker; which isn't the case! But I do make sure that one day a week I have a treat for me!

B :)

Thank you! I'm surprised I didn't think of having a treat a week :p Now I think back I can remember when my Mum was on weight watchers, she had fish and chips for dinner after she went to her weigh in. Tomorrow night I'm going out for a friends birthday so might have a few treats then.

I think I read online that 1 slice of bread is 2 points so assumed that 2 slices would be 4... but i've just calculated it and 2 slices are 3 points, thanks for letting me know :)

WW is about making people make the right choices by choosing better value for points. So if you do save your points up, use them and have fun! :D

Glad you now know! Always best to check NI :)

Good luck!

Today was another good day, even though i've been sat at my desk all day revising!

Breakfast:

2 shredded wheats (2)
Milk (1)

Lunch:

Jacket potato (3)
Coleslaw (2)
Kiwi (1)
Muller light yog (1)

WW choc cake bar (1.5)

Pasta (3)

Chicken (4) - it was a bit bigger than yesterdays
Passata (0)
Mushroom (0)
Onion (0)

2 mini milks (1)

Total points:

Exercise:
I meant to go out for a run this morning, but i'm still aching from my exercise DVD on Wednesday. I'm going shopping with my mum, dad, aunty and cousin tomorrow (for wedding outfits :)) so will do lots of walking tomorrow.

I'm going out for my friends birthday tonight, so i've added up my leftover points for the week and I have 19.5 spare points
:D I'm going to have vodka and diet coke because that will only be 1 point... soo 19.5 drinks :p I won't actually drink that much!! I'll count how many I have (although not very many because I'm poor!) and record in here tomorrow)

Hi there biffy, hope you did not over do it with the exercise DVD,let know how the party went..but with the new points system what i felt was that same as the old points system one could not save up points to use the next day?

Bella

I'm pretty sure you can save up points for 4 days, on the old system (the one i'm using). I'll double check later when my Mum brings round her old weight watchers books.

Last night I had 6 vodka and diet cokes... so 6 points... and a shot of apple sours which I think is 2 points, so 8 points last night, which isn't too bad and still leaves me with 11.5 points spare.

Today was a lovely day, went shopping with my family for outfits for my cousins wedding. I didn't buy anything :( I hate how nothing seems to fit me!! It gave me even more motivation to lose weight, I will do it! We went into thorntons cafe for a drink and I didn't have anything!! I was so pleased with myself, before I probably would have bought a hot choc and piece of cake. We went to spudulike for lunch and I had a jacket potato with turkey, bacon, sage and onion in creme freiche. I'm not really sure how to point it, so will give the jacket potato 4 points and the filling 5.

Breakfast:

2 shredded wheats (2)
Milk (1)

Weetabix oaty bar (1)

Lunch:
Jacket potato (4)
Filling (5)

Dinner:

WW chicken hotpot meal (4.5)
2 mini milks (1)

Packet of walkers baked crisps (2)

Total points:

I'm going to the cinema in a minute with my fiance to see The Kings Speech. I'm training to be a speech and language therapist and its a film and a SLT so should be interesting. I don't think I will eat anything, but if I do will enter it in here tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Back