My partner is really against this...

dollface

Ok, so I was going to start in LT this week but when I spoke to my boyfriend about it, he was really against it. Its not because he doesn't want me to loose weight, he just doesn't agree with meal replacement diets as he says everyone he has ever known who does it puts all the weight back on.

Do any of you have partners, families or friends who really don't want you to do LT and how did you deal with it?

hey hun, sorry ive no advice really. im doing cd bf supports me. id just reassure him that it is safe and that. it woudnlt be aloud be sold if it wasnt and there is refeeding afterwards so your dont gain back weight. there is lots of people on here maintaining there weight. best of luck hun xx

Hiya

It is true that some people do put the weight back on but it is also true that some people maintain their weight. The diet itself is just a tool to get slim, it is the lifestyle changes that will maintain your new slim figure and he can be part of those lifestyle changes by being more active and eating healthier.

Go for it!

Mike

My husband was really not happy at first. I told him I was going to do it, now he is really supportive, it just took a little while for him to see the results I was getting and how much happier and more hopeful I was.
If he isn't supportive, you can get plenty of support on here. At the end of the day, you regain weight with all diets if you don't follow the maintenance stage properly, and LT is no different. This forum is full of people who have done maintenance properly...and have maintained, for long periods. x

my OH is very supportive he was not sure at first but he is totally behind me now why dont you let your BF come on and read someof the posts on here?

I JUST MADE MY OWN DECISION AND DECIDED WHATS BEST FOR ME. I DIDNT WANT TO HAVE TO PROVE TO PEOPLE THAT THIS WAS A SAFE DIET,I KNEW IT WAS AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. THEY'LL SEE!!:p WEN PEOPLE QUESTION YOU ABOUT A MEAL REPLACEMENT DIET TELL THEM ITS A ''MEAL'' REPLACEMENT! :mad: IT DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN!:D

my partner surported me. my dad no way he would have gone off his head so myself and my sister lied and said we was doing ww.

Its difficult isnt it when people dont understand how great this diet is. If you go back to your old eating habits then of course you will put weight back on but you wont...because you will lose weight and want to maintain after the hard work.

I also explain to ppl that its a medical management for my weight problem, its not a faddy diet. People dont seem to realise this though.

My OH was originally dead set against CD last year, 2 weeks later he joined me on the diet!

I talked to my husband before starting but he knew how much I needed to lose weight and has supported me throughout, as have my children who I explained it all to first. There are a lot of people I haven't told coz I know how they would react based on their comments about vlcd, and also coz it's no-one else's business.

People do put weight back on after all diets - coz they go back to the bad eating habits they had before that got them overweight in the first place. If anything, coz of the vits and minerals in the packs, a vlcd is better than some and definitely easier! You don't have to think about what you could eat coz you can't eat anything!!!!! Just the packs and black coffee or tea as well as lots of water.

If you want to do this then tell him you will do it with or without his support because you need to do this and try this for you. I'm sure, once he realises how serious you are about it he will back you and encourage you. My GP recommended LT to me, now she can't be wrong can she?

Good luck hun. You'll be fine.

x

hi getting your bf to read some real peeps stories on here is a good idea ,there are peeps who have done less controversial diets who have put all there weight back on .Icemoose is right the weight loss is not the real journey the lessons learned during and after are the real start of your journey x

I completely agree with Cuddlyfairy.

If you are going to start any kind of diet/healthy eating plan/exercise regime- you do it for you and no-one else. At the end of the day you will benefit because you will have lost weight and with that comes better health and a more confident you! Which in turn will benefit him as he will have a partner who is happy. Do it for you whether it be through LT or any other diet you decide to follow.

My partner is fully supportive of me although I think he was a little dubious to begin with and I also had to explain to my children what I was doing and why. It's a short term measure and sacrifice which will aid me to maintain the new me for a very, very long time to come.

Good luck! I am sure you will make the right decision in the end- whatever you decide to do xxxx :)

You're boyfriend should have faith in YOU!!! And not compare you to these other dieters!

You are not these other people who have failed and regained, you are you and he should support you in your efforts...if it all goes belly up (excuse the pun!!!:D), then at least you gave it a go!!!:)

My OH is supportive of me as are my two children - NOW. This is my 3rd time on LT and to be honest I hadn't been firm with myself before.. I messed around and nibbled etc etc, so it's not surprising that they were dubious when I started again.
But they have seen how upbeat I am this time and they are 100% behind me.
Support does make a difference !

I agree madferret...this diet requires 100% commitment and its near impossible to be able to do it to completion without loved one's support.

Im sure your OH will change his mind once he sees how happy this diet has made you.

Thank you for all taking time to reply. I think getting him to have a look at these boards might help. I don't have a really large amount to loose, about 2 stone and he thinks this is extreme measures for people who are really unhappy and unhealthy. I am only unhappy.

Thanks again for your replies, I am going to do it anyway, I just wondered how you guys got around convincing your loved ones it was a good idea!!

How many people does he know that have done this or similar diets? I have to say till my mate suggested it I had not met any one! is he just repeating rubbish he's picked up second hand?

also, like ice mouse said, if you change your lifestyle you can maintain. and taking a break from food is a good way of changing your lifestyle and habbits towards food.

a sneaky bit of me thinks he may not want extra competition from other blokes trying to whisk the new slim you away from him!

Ok, so I was going to start in LT this week but when I spoke to my boyfriend about it, he was really against it. Its not because he doesn't want me to loose weight, he just doesn't agree with meal replacement diets as he says everyone he has ever known who does it puts all the weight back on.

Do any of you have partners, families or friends who really don't want you to do LT and how did you deal with it?
Ya been there wore thet-shirt. my hubbie was totally against me doing LT but when I explained how desperate I wanted to lose weight and wanted to give it a try he stood by me eventhough he still disagreed with it. try to explain to your boyfriend what it means to you and if that doesn't work If it were me I would just do what I am happy within myself.on the otherside he is right about gaining the weight back I did. but it's not going to stop me from trying again. I had so much confidence and control in my life when I lost the weight.I will do it for 4wks and see from there.will do w.watchers when ever I do come off this diet, Hope I am of help. good luck what ever you do.

Back