Need a bit of inspiration for a dinner party!

jeffreysdriver

Hi all!!

I'm cooking tea for my brother and sister-in-law on Saturday, and i'm determined to do it all SW friendly (for my own sake, bugger them hahaha!!!).

I've spent about 3 hours now trailing round the site, SW site and Slimming Eats and there are just too many options, so i'm looking for recommendations please!!

Preferably 3 courses, but it's not essential. Thank you all in advance!!

speed soup for starters, roast chicken dinner for main, baked apple with mincemeat in the middle ( HeB ) for desert..

or

prawn coctail for starters ( homemade thousand island dressing with lighter than lite helmans ), pasta with homemade sauce, fruit salad for desert..

Whatever you choose, have as much pre-cooked/made as possible, so that you don't spend all night in the kitchen!!!

Starters

Any of the soup recipes.
Syn free smoked salmon or chicken liver and bacon pate, served with toast (hex b) or Mini Ryvitas (hex b). If you choose either of the pates, I suggest that you make them on Friday... they'll taste better on Saturday. However, if you don't have the chance and make them on Saturday, they'll still taste great!!!

Main Course

If you have a slow cooker, use it... it will free up your day to focus on other things!!!
Make something that you know how to cook... it's never a good idea to use your guests as guinea pigs!!!
If you want to risk making something new, have something else that you can have on standby!!!
If your main course is on the stove, consider microwave veg packs... one less thing to have to keep an eye on!!!

main course ideas..

Chilli
Curry
Stew
Syn free sweet n sour chicken served with rice
Risotto (only to be made if you have a kitchen/diner so that you can still be with your guests when cooking... Otherwise it's 25 mins on your own in the kitchen!!!)
Cheats Tarragon Chicken (only 1 or 2 syns for the whole thing) served with rice.

Desserts

Mousse (cranberry & raspberry, strawberry or orange) only 1 1/2 syns for the whole thing (will comfortably serve 4 people - probably more if you add some fresh fruit on the side).
Home made fresh fruit cocktail - serve with squirty cream Syn values below are for Anchor

Real Dairy Aerosol Cream, 12.5g serving 2 syns All plans
Real Dairy Aerosol Cream, Extra Thick, 12.5g serving 2½ syns all plans
Real Dairy Aerosol Cream, Extra Thick with Brandy, 12.5g serving 2 syns all plans
Real Dairy Aerosol Cream, Light, 12.5g serving 1 syn all plans

Hope that some of these can be of use and whatever you end up making, ENJOY IT!!!!

Last edited:
Starter could be: Melon, prawn cocktail or soup.
Main: Tagliatelli or pasta dish. You could either do a tomato based one using tinned tomatoes/garlic etc and add things like bacon and mushrooms. Or a creamy based one which used quark etc. You could make your own garlic bread with a part baked baguette, once it is out of the oven cut into pieces and spread with a mix of low fat butter, crushed garlics, lemon and parsley. You can syn this.
Alternative main could be salmon or chicken parcels. Use baking parchment double folded and place the meat with your choice of veg/onion/peppers. Seal the parchment over the filling and tuck in at the sides so it looks like a pasty. Cook for 20 mins and then serve from the paper. Comes out lovely and tender.
Various curry recipes on here? How about a thai curry? with thai rice.
Desserts: Meringue nest topped with yoghurt and mixed berries.
Sundae-Mix yoghurt of your choice, broken pieces of meringue, warmed up pieces of alpen light and banana.
Champagne Jelly- Use sugar free jelly, add some fruit such as strawberry/raspberry, use some sparkling wine or champagne in the mix and set in the fridge. If done in individual glasses looks nice.

jeffreysdriver said:
Hi all!!

I'm cooking tea for my brother and sister-in-law on Saturday, and i'm determined to do it all SW friendly (for my own sake, bugger them hahaha!!!).

I've spent about 3 hours now trailing round the site, SW site and Slimming Eats and there are just too many options, so i'm looking for recommendations please!!

Preferably 3 courses, but it's not essential. Thank you all in advance!!

My lamb meatballs with a spicy tomato sauce is to die for if I do say so my self :p. I have done it for friends and they couldn't believe how yummy it was and the fact it was low fat too

Hi Britmum

Can you put a link on here for your website

many thanks

I made the braised sweet onion beef from britmum's site and it was amazing - so gorgeous :D

Website is www.slimmingeats.com :D

For dessert I made the slimming world orange cake - very nice! :)

I didn't do a starter because unfortunately my effort was rank (prawn pate). How about doing a chicken and bacon salad with a low fat dressing - yummy! :)

I saw some lamb skewers in this months mag ( or maybe the booklet that came with it.. )... a couple of these with some mint yoghurt dip or something would be a nice starter...

Back