Need Advice From Runners

Surfhunny

Laugh in the face of food
Hiya I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice. Ive got a couple of problems. I'm about to start the C25K training. I can run on a treadmill easily for 10 minutes but any longer and I get a crippling stitch in my right side. I have tried all sorts to get rid of it. But its so bad I can't run through it :( can anyone tell me what I can do to ease it but keep running and dies it eventually go or is it something I'm lumbered with? The other thing is a puzzle to me. Like I said I can happily run on the treadmill no probs but as I intend to do the C25K outside I went out for a run tonight. I could barely run for 3 minutes :eek: I was running on the flat and totally lost my breath :( now I'm home it's been an hour since I ran and I've got a tickle cough and a bit of a wheeze. I'm not asthmatic or have breathing difficulties otherwise. When I run on the treadmill it's the stitch that stops me not my breathing. I know running outside is harder but I didn't expect this!!! My fitness isnt what it used to be as I tore my calf muscle in January and it's been a long recovery but the physio had me running for 10 mins on the treadmill and it was no bother! I really want to do this because I've set my mind to it but I'd love some advice or even just reassurance that it gets better. Thanks x

Sorry I can't help - but hopefully someone useful will be along soon!

I'm the complete opposite from you. Put me on a treadmill and you're lucky if I can run for 15 minutes, I go outside and I'll happily run for 45.
Have you tried to 'couch to 5k' programme? You start off walk/run and I found it much easier to build up my distance when I did it gradually like this rather than going out and trying to run for half an hour straight.
They reckon it takes about 8 weeks to get you to the stage where you're running for a full 5k's. but they say its fine to repeat a week if you feel the need:)

The stitch should go as you're fitness improves. I find I get a really sore back/stitch when I run if my fitness has slipped.

Hiya - I never knew the answer to this until I did Lighter Life...! ;)
In my experience, if you get this every time you run rather than occasionally, it's lack of water! You need to be properly tanked up before you start (I usually have a litre before a 30 min run and 500ml before a short run) also if you are prone to stitches you should try to drink whilst running. I usually drink 100ml every kilometre when I'm being stitchy.

The treadmill to road conversion is a blimmin' nightmare. Tell me about it. That first 5 minutes on road is pure death on legs. It's basically because your muscles are having to think and readjust because no matter how even it is, it is hard (I can't remember how many extra lbs of pressure are going through your joints on concrete, but it's a lot more than on a treadmill so your body will go 'WOAH! LADY! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!' until it settles into it), and you have to adjust your stride for kerbs, holes, people, lampposts which is 87* x more tricky - so you can't get into running robot rhythm which is what helps on the treadmill.

*not an actual scientific number - it just feels that way.

Oh and it gets waaaaay better, until you go 'I just have to get through the boring tedious 5-8 minutes of my body deeply objecting and then I can go sailing off into distances as yet unheard of' some days you don't even get that and the entire run is a delight from beginning to end - runners live for those runs. Even hardened running bodies I know whinge about that first 5 minutes most days. It's a bit like SSing! The bit getting into ketosis is harrrrrd but once you're there you don't even think about it and you are in a state of euphoria! Within 3 months I was running 10ks without thinking. I miss running - I get my new shoes next week and I'm on 810 the week after formy week 13...AND THEN I SHALL JOIN YOU!

Sorry I just realised that you're going to start the couch to 5k!!doh!!
Don't try to do more than the first week recommends. I think the first week you should only be running for 90 seconds at the most before walking for a minute. You really need to build it up very gradually if you've not been running on the road, because it hurts!!!lol

Off for a run:)

Oh and it gets waaaaay better, until you go 'I just have to get through the boring tedious 5-8 minutes of my body deeply objecting and then I can go sailing off into distances as yet unheard of' some days you don't even get that and the entire run is a delight from beginning to end - runners live for those runs. Even hardened running bodies I know whinge about that first 5 minutes most days. It's a bit like SSing! The bit getting into ketosis is harrrrrd but once you're there you don't even think about it and you are in a state of euphoria! Within 3 months I was running 10ks without thinking. I miss running - I get my new shoes next week and I'm on 810 the week after formy week 13...AND THEN I SHALL JOIN YOU!

LOL!!
Those first 5 minutes are a complete and utter nightmare, whatever your fitness levels are. It hurts, and its what puts most people off continuing.
Nothing beats that feeling when you've been for a good one and you've just flew round. It makes all the pain worthwhile:)

Oooh - yeah - I thought that said 25k!!! Ha! Er - yes - What Elaine said - it really is baby steps for the first few weeks even if you're already capable of more than a k on the treadmill. Also I didn't start road running until I had 5k on the treadmill under my belt then I started with 5 mins walk/run intervals for 3k until I could join them up - you can mix it up a bit to make it suit you.

Thanks for the replies!! :D I'm starting the Couch to 5K on Thursday, tonight was a bit of a road test for my leg, I haven't run outside since my injury so I just wanted a little run to see if it would cope with road running again and I'm pleased to report it did. My legs were fine, my stupid lungs let me down :( boo to lungs!!

Hmm water might well be my problem!!! I'm not on CD at the minute (damage limitation only until 6th June when I restart) so my water consumption has slipped a lot!!! And generally if I know I'm running at the gym I don't drink as much as I should before I go, I make it up after!!! This could be why I'm getting my stitch!!

Oooh - yeah - I thought that said 25k!!! Ha! Er - yes - What Elaine said - it really is baby steps for the first few weeks even if you're already capable of more than a k on the treadmill. Also I didn't start road running until I had 5k on the treadmill under my belt then I started with 5 mins walk/run intervals for 3k until I could join them up - you can mix it up a bit to make it suit you.

Thats what I thought it said!!lol
Was thinking to myself....'25K is maybe a bit ambitious if you've just started' LOL!!!!

In my dreams lol!!

You'd be surprised what your dreams can get you to do ;)

Aha! So if you upped your water intake to 2l plus a day - I hope you'd see a marked difference. Getting 500mls down you within 30 mins of a run might be all you need.

I stopped drinking before running a few years ago because I kept having to stop behind bushes for a wee lol. Not a good look. But if I get 2litres down me during the day I should be ok and try 500mls before I go out that should be fine. (Might test this at the gym where I can dash to the loo lol)

Love the endorphin rush from running, even though I struggled tonight I loved it!

I'm just back in...and if you could bottle the feeling you get after a good run, you'd be a millionaire!!! I enjoyed that:)

Back