Need advice. Seriously considering giving up SW

amyd

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone can help me, I've been doing SW for 3 weeks now and have only lost half a pound :sigh:

I'm not sure if it's because I've not got loads to lose - I'm a size 12 (but headed to a 14 as my size 12 skinnies are just not comfy any more so am not wearing them :mad:).

I lost 2 pounds on the 1st week, and I haven't been back to the class since then as I've had things on. But I weighed myself at home the first day so I could track it at home. On the 2nd week I knew I wouldn't be able to make the class so I weighed myself and I'd lost another pound - I was soooo happy! Feeling so on target.

Then..that night I went for an indian which I had planned well in advance and I'd worked out all the syns and saved them up all week. I know I shouldn't have, but I weighed myself the next day and it said I had put 2 pound on. But I thought, well it's prob because I'd just had an indian last night and it will level up over the week.

Then I went on holiday in the lakes for a few days, first day I know was totally fine for SW, then I relaxed it for the next 3 days - had a choc brownie, ice cream and shared a few chips and garlic bread. But totally not excessive. I chose the best options from the menus - salads, pasta etc.

So I got back on sunday and started SW religious again on Monday and have done really well (had around 5 syns a day even though I'm allowed 15). I weighed myself today and I'd put 3 pounds back on :mad::mad::mad:

Bearing in mind that today is the 3rd week and I've only had 3 days not doing SW - how can this be??

I have weighed myself in the same place at the same time in the same clothes etc- the floor is hard so I know the scales are correct.

I'm so upset..I've put so much energy into getting my head round this diet, trying new recipes and cooking pretty much every dinner and tea time (which I've found really difficult as I used to just grab a small ham sandwich and lo fat bag of crisps).

I know know that everyone says this, but I did wonder how I can lose weight when eating so much. I think I must be eating more calories than I did before, ecpecially for dinners where I'd normally have about 5 points (WW) for my sandwhich and crisps and now I'm having bacon, eggs, baked potatoes etc which must be well over 5 points.

I don't even like eggs, yogurt, quiche etc - and it's a massive hassle having to cook everything.

I don't know what to do - I don't want to carry on if I won't lose weight. Half a pound in 3 weeks is totally unacceptable.

I have totally stuck to it, I've not even had my full amount of syns most days (usually just 1 or 2 syns a day). I've been filling a third of my plate with superfree food etc.

Does this diet only work for people who have got more to lose? Does anyone know anyone else that has totally stuck to it but it hasn't worked for them.

I mean if Victoria Beckham started on SW she'd probably put a load of weight on - do you know what I mean?

I'm wondering if I'd be better trying WW again - I lost 3 stone a few years ago with WW but I have since gained just over a stone. I've tryed WW a few times since gaining the weight and failed though, but I didn't go to any of the meetings and I know it's changed a bit now.

Sorry for the massive post..hoping someone has some words of wisdom. I'm at a loss :cry:

I forgot to say that I'm doing the extra easy plan - leader said not to look at the red/green sections as it will confuse us.

Also - I'm 9.11 stone and 5ft 7 if that helps.

Have just read people who are in their 10's are having trouble getting into the 9's..so I'm thinking that the lower the weight you are the less weight you'll lose??

Anyone else a similar sort of height/weight to me succeeding?

Thanks

The thing with EE and it to me ages to work out how I was screwing up was my 1/3 superfree with every meal and using superfree for snacks, I wasnt eating enough superfree. Have you thought of posting a food diary that people could check for you?

Hi Amyd

I think you should give it a bit more time. It is still early days and you have been on holiday for a few days as you say.

The plan does work, but only if you follow it correctly. Sorry to say, but I don't you have been. 1 or 2 syns a day is not right. The syns are part of the plan so you should use them.

You may find your losses are slower as you are already in the healthy BMI range, but it will work. Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

I forgot to say that I'm doing the extra easy plan - leader said not to look at the red/green sections as it will confuse us.

Many people still do red/green plans. If you are used to a ham sandwich and a bag of crisps and feel like you are missing them, you might want to try red days so that you can have ham with extra bread.

Pick the plan which suits your lifestyle. You are more likely to stick to that plan and succeed if you enjoy your food.

Then..that night I went for an indian which I had planned well in advance and I'd worked out all the syns and saved them up all week.

Not everyone can get away with using syns on a weekly basis. And as you probably know your weight fluctuates by as much as 7lb a day anyway so the scale reading the day after is totally meaningless

Then I went on holiday in the lakes for a few days, first day I know was totally fine for SW, then I relaxed it for the next 3 days - had a choc brownie, ice cream and shared a few chips and garlic bread ..... So I got back on sunday and started SW religious again on Monday and have done really well (had around 5 syns a day even though I'm allowed 15). I weighed myself today and I'd put 3 pounds back on

Please stop weighing yourself so often - it's messing with your mind!

I always found that when I was eating off plan I would get terribly bloated from fluid retention. Maybe something to do with the salt and other additives in junk foods.

I know know that everyone says this, but I did wonder how I can lose weight when eating so much. I think I must be eating more calories than I did before, ecpecially for dinners where I'd normally have about 5 points (WW) for my sandwhich and crisps and now I'm having bacon, eggs, baked potatoes etc which must be well over 5 points.

But your sandwich and crisps wouldn't fill you up for very long at all. Your SW meal will be much more filling relative to its calories. Not all calories are the same so you can't compare them as it's not like with like.

Half a pound in 3 weeks is totally unacceptable. I have totally stuck to it, I've not even had my full amount of syns most days (usually just 1 or 2 syns a day). I've been filling a third of my plate with superfree food etc.

Em, not you haven't. You had your indian meal out and your three days away. Also you are not following the plan properly if you are not using at least 5 syns a day.

Does this diet only work for people who have got more to lose?

Of course not, that is ridiculous - because even if you start out with more weight to lose you will eventually get smaller and closer to target. If that was the case then no-one would ever get to target!

You need to give it a fair chance! You need to give it at least four weeks of following the plan to the letter to take into account hormonal changes as well.

You've only been to one class and although you may think you are following the plan properly, there are lots of common mistakes that beginners make. A common one is actually not eating enough but on the other hand even free foods have the potential to affect your weight if eaten to excess.

You should start by throwing away your scales - you are clearly not strong minded enough to be able to weigh frequently without it throwing you for a loop. Then you need to pretend this is day one, write down a food diary on here that lists everything that crosses your lips and how much you had. We can take a look and let you know if you are going astray anywhere.

Go back to class next week and accept what the scales have to say. Discuss everything you have written here with your consultant and listen to what she has to say.

Nobody said losing weight was going to be easy but you need to relax, stop panicking, stop comparing SW to WW, and trust in the plan.

Last edited:
Try uping speed foods lots of water and like someone said yes on ee you can have loads but it's ment to be super free first so most at least 1/3 I have muller fir breakfast and a banana then beans on toast at lunch or bake pot with filling and salad big tub of fruit salad to munch on through day then tea is normally chicken or fish with pots of some sort or pasta then 1/3 veg or salad with it with lots of free juice
I lost 8.5 lb week 1 , 5.5 lb week 3 , 3.5 lb week 3 and I'm a 14 trying to get into a 12 hope this helps

SW isn't a diet, its a healthy eating plan designed to fit in with your life.

You need to chose which SW plan fits in with you whether it's EE, Red or Green.

Do you have a diary we can look at for you & see if we can offer any help.

SW does work, and not just for people who have a lot to lose. I only had 16lb to lose.

Well I've been well and truly told off! ;)

Thanks for the advise...I will consider putting a food diary up on here but I really don't think that's my problem. I have been reading up on this diet in the book and forums for the last 3 weeks and I'm sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks Happy Holiday and Kimmy B - it's good to know that you've not had much to lose and you've done well. Can I ask which plans you were following?

I'll have a look at the red and green day plans - can you do red, green and extra easy on any day then? or just alternate between red and green?

Circis - my indian mean out was within my weekly sins. I meant that I have totally stuck to it excluding the 3 days away. I really don't think that 3 days of a more relaxed diet should result in me gaining 3lbs. And as I said I did choose very well from the menus - salads, pasta meals etc but just had a few slices of garlic bread and shared chips. Also - my leader said that you don't have to use your syns but you can if you want. So why would I make myself eat more than I want to? Surely that wouldn't help. I don't feel I'm depriving myself as I've never been one for snacking much anyway. I do miss my quick and easy butties with crisps for dinner but I counted the syns on the first day and I really wouldn't want to use all those syns up on dinner in case I has a special occasion that I needed them for.

My main problem with SW is all the cooking and planning I'm having to do - which I'd be totally accepting of IF I was losing weight, but I'm not.

I don't understand how I could lose weight if I'm eating more calories than I was before - although I'm not positive I am having more, it's just a hunch. I also don't understand how everyone - no matter what their weight can follow the same diet and lose weight. If you have someone that is 9 stone eating the same as someone that is 20 stone surely they couldn't lose weight?

AnnaFaraday - re the eating out post - I had chicken, new potatoes, vege and gravy - you couldn't get a much better meal eating out than that. The only thing I didn't know the syns for was cauliflower cheese - but I only had a bit and since I had only used up 4 syns all week I don't think it will have caused me to gain weight.

Sorry to sound a bit defensive - but I don't like being accused of not following it when I have (apart from the 3 days on holiday). I've put so much effort and will power into doing SW.

I will give it one more week and I'll see how I get on, and I'll go to the meeting next week. I suppose my main worry is that if I do lose the weight - if only 3 days of not totally sticking to SW can cause me to gain 3 lbs - I'm worried that all the weight will pile back on when I want to maintain and relax the diet. I have no idea if there's a special way of doing things when you get to the point of maintaining - with WW you just had more points so maybe its something similar with SW - more syns maybe?

But at some point I'd like to eat normally again - ham butties with crisps etc and nice meals out (but just won't overdo it this time!)

I don't want to be on slimming world for ever.

Thanks for all your advice!

when you get to your goal you will be told to up your healthy extras not the syns to maintain

You may have summed it up by saying you dont want to be on sw forever. Sw is a healthy eating plan as much as it is a 'diet'. If you need a quicker fix to just shift a few pounds then maybe it may not be the right plan for you?

How soon after the three days away did you weigh and show a gain? I weigh daily (yes I know I shouldn't) but if I stray off plan or have a bit of a bad weekend, it may be within my weekly syns but will still show up on the scales about 48 hours later and then take another 24/48 to go.

It also took my body about 3 weeks to adapt to sw but I consistently lose every week.

Planning is a big part of any diet, other than meal replacement possibly, in that you need to have the right foods/snacks in the house. I used to cook a lot from scratch, like curries and so on but there are lots of things that are quick and easy, fish with veg or salad, chicken with mustard wrapped in bacon. There are things you can eat that don't have to take hours to prepare.

How much do you actually want to lose? Sorry if you've mentioned it before but on my phone so can't go back and check!

I started sw four weeks ago at 9st 2lb and have lost 5.5 lb so don't think it has anything to do with how heavy or light you are. GEtting my head round It a bit more now and I agree its not a diet, just choosing better things. I also eat at least ten syns per day and sometimes save maybe four of that ten for glass or two of wine. I don't own scales and would never weigh every day anyway. I do go to class every week...even the weekend I was away and ate more. LOst half pound.....decided not to miss class even if I feel as tho I have over done it. GOOD luck

I am sorry you feel accused and told off. People, including me, were just trying to help, because you asked for our advice.

I have now deleted my message - consider it unsaid, with apologies.

Awwwwwww you've not been told off we offered our help like we're supposed to;)

I do mainly green days & the odd red as I'm not really a lover of meat, I like chicken & fish but it doesn't have to be a part of my meal.

You can still have ham butties, if it's white bread you like WW (I think) white is a hexb & ham would be free food. SW have some lovely take away recipes you could try.

For me SW is for life and maybe SW isn't for you if you don't see it as long term.

Amy - i've read through this thread with interest and honestly, you will never lose weight on SW if you a) have a closed mind about it and b) get defensive when you are offered advice. Its a little bit silly to ask advice & then get annoyed when its not what you want to hear!!! It should also not be that surprising that the majority of people on a SW forum would defend the plan either - all our combined experience shows that if the plan isn't working, its cos its not being followed properly. Circles & HH in particular are well known on this forum for giving very sensible advice about SW. My advice, for all its worth, is to listen to them if you want the plan to work for you.

The plan works for all sorts of people and is not a quick fix diet. Its a healthy eating plan that you stick to for life, with a few tweaks when you get to target. You need to get your head round that hun before you commit to it.
( no offence to the rest of you who also gave very good advice :))

Why don't you give the plan another go & maybe start a food diary on here if you haven't already done so because i know how easy it is to overlook small things that can make a big difference.

I can relate to what you're saying about not wanting to be on the plan forever as in the beginning I thought of slimming world as a quick fix diet. After a while I realized that I was eating so well & still enjoying treats I wanted such as a weekly chinese takeaway within my daily syns that the plan really was everything in moderation & had become a way of life for me.

Granted I had a lot more to lose than you & therefore I was probably having to eat more than you to feel full in the beginning but over the past 10 months the amount of food I need to feel full has decreased & I think this is the key. I know it did take me a while to recognize when I felt full & to stop eating.

Also don't rule out the red & green plans. I followed EE until a few months back but now I prefer red & even do the odd green day too.

I love SW - tried them all over the years and my weight has gone from 8st 12 to 11st 10 - god I must have lost millions of stone since I was 15!!

I follow only green days and find that is great for me. Lots of pasta, rice,pots, quorn really fills me up.

I am 10st 7 and want to be 9st 7 so not a massive loss and may take a while cut slow and steady must be better. Having had an eating disorder since I was 23 (am now 47) I just look at it as a healthy new start and a new way of living. I feel better and havent binged for 2 weeks now!

raquel said:
i'd give my right arm to be 9stone something...lol, i hope that things get better for you, :)

Pretty sure that even if i gave both my arms i wouldn't be 9st. Would make eating chocolate difficult though!

Back