need some help...where to start??!

HannahB

i eat too many calories..dont know how much exactly but i know its too many..

iv decided that calorie counting would be the best option for me as it means i dont have to get my mum to buy 'special' foods for me and it would fit in with my lifestyle..but im worried about becoming a calorie counter addict..i dont want to become totally obcessed with the numbers im consuming..

can anyone help me with what numbers i should start with?? il eat most things but i just need help getting started...

thank you :)

hi hannah,
every 3500 calories is equal to 1lb so if you cut back on 500 calories a day then you should lose about 1lb a week, but if you exercise to burn off another 3500calories a week then you will lose about 2lb a week.
You don't need to be obsessed with number just make little changes such as changing to lower fat options, diet drinks and most importantly reducing portion sizes. Instead of having a bar of chocolate or crisps try swapping it for fruit every so often.

if you want to find out roughly how much you can eat a day all you have to do is work out your basal metabolic rate (BMR) which tells you how much you would need a day to maintain the weight your at now. Once you know your BMR simply take away roughly 500 calories (for a 1lb loss per week).
It's advised that you never go any lower than 1200 a day.
Here is a BMR calculator to help you out:
BMR Calculator

Hope that helps. x

Hi Hannah.

Don't despair, we'll help you out as much as we can ;)

I (and a few other too I think) use a site called Food Focus to work out how many cals I should be consuming, and also to keep track of what I am eating. However, what Red just said is spot on. This is basically what FF does for you. It may be worth a look. Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss

Don't worry about becoming obsessed with numbers though. As long as you are committed and are cutting down on the bad stuff as well as your portions, you should be fine. Maybe start recording what you are eating (on FF for example) for a week, until you get the feel for it. Don't jump straight in, as you may not be able to adapt to keeping within a certain calorie range straight away.

Above all, chill out and don't worry! Take one day at a time, and remember that there is always someone around on here to natter to if you need some support. There are a few of us on Facebook too, search for minimins!

Good luck. :D

Nat
x

PS - One of my cats is called Casey! :kitty:

Last edited:
thank you for the help ladies, i really appreciate it :D

am going to be on a real learning curve over the next few days/weeks but fingers crossed il get there :)

just been on the ff website and it gave me a date for expected goal weight and its a week before my 20th birthday which would be fantastic!! :D :D

thanks again ladies :)

hey there, glad u like the FF site, i have been using it 3 months now, great way of keeping track. i agree with cap... spend a few days recording what u usually eat. then in a few days start cutting out the things u can live with out and making changes to healthier alternatives...

thank you for the help ladies, i really appreciate it :D

am going to be on a real learning curve over the next few days/weeks but fingers crossed il get there :)

just been on the ff website and it gave me a date for expected goal weight and its a week before my 20th birthday which would be fantastic!! :D :D

thanks again ladies :)

Hi Hannah :wavey:

Welcome to the CC board.

How fab will that be when you reach your target and be all glam and slim for your 20th birthday :clap::clap::clap: What a fantastic incentive!

Take it one day at a time, and before you know it the days will become weeks and your weight loss will grow and grow!

Back