Need to tone my tummy, any hints or tips please?

Rachella

Silver Member
Hi Everyone!!

So last night I got my 2 stone award - I'm chuffed to bits - it's taken me ages!!! BUT as my dear mother always reminds me, the slower it comes off, the longer it stays off so it's all good really. :happy036:

I honestly never thought I'd manage 2 stone... but I have! I've now changed my target weight as well because I'm still not satisfied... I would like to be 10 stone or maybe even just under if that's possible (I'm not going to get silly and over do it- just going to see how I feel from one week to the next).

But my problem now is - I still have a little bit of a belly on me! Which I know isnt all 'fat'... I just need to tone this up... and the thought of doing constant sit-ups everyday isnt too appealing..

So can anyone give me some tips how I can tone my tummy?

Any help much appreciated :D

YAY!!! 2 stone is fantastic...I know you've worked hard and taken a while to get there, but bloody well done :)

I do quite a few tummy toning exercises (in the vain hope that when my belly blubber disappears, I'll have a nice flat tum under there!)

There's the dreaded sit up and variations...

The 'crunch' - knees bent, bring hands onto chest, sit up but with lower back still on the floor, then hold for count of 3, then lower.

The 'ball' - I use a medicine ball over my head and bring it down to my knees when I sit up.

The 'killer' - legs in the air, raising bum and hip off the floor.

The 'twist' - good for obliques, done standing or on a ball, keeping hips forward twist slowly in each direction.

I have not described those very well at all! LOL! Sorry. I got them from a gym instructor when I had a personalised programme done, but now just carry them on.

There are loads of pages on the web with pics and videos...

Tone up your tummy : www.thefitmap.co.uk directory

I started belly dancing at christmas & I have lost 5 inches of my waist! I know some of this is due to the weight loss but I really have toned up. You can get DVD's if you don't want to go to class & its great fun & makes you feel sexy too.

Well done Rachella! What a star!!!

Running works well for me, I feel it working my stomach muscles as I do it - I try to finish with a few crunchies when I get home but tend to forget!

I've also heard about belly dancing/hula hooping for the waist/tummy area but the best thing is crunchies for upper and lower abs. Oh and the plank is great too - and a killer!

Hi Rachella

Congratulations on your fantastic loss so far!
Funny you should mention this as tonight I am going to a 'legs, bums and tums' exercise class at my local sports centre.
I have absolutely no idea what to expect and am a bit nervous, but will let you know what it is like and of any specific stomach exersices which have not already been mentioned (if I live to tell the tale!)

Well done again, mate
xxxx

how about one of those 6 second abs gizmos they llok easy to use and the 6 seconds sounds very appealing lol

I rate the plank too, crunches I find easiest on a swiss ball, you can't cheat and use your hip muscles.

Well done on your fab loss Rachella, that is a great achievement!:D

My best mate has the flattest tum ever (even after having 2 kids) :jelous: ~ she does pilates every other day and also runs twice a week.

I bought an ab roller recently but only started using it the other day so far too soon to say if it will do any good!xx

thanks for the tip Weemo! Yeah I've heard good stuff about Pilates, I've even got a book on it that I've never read! Shame on me! I Just need to find a local class on a day I can do :D

CocktailPrincess - do you think you'll give the class another go? Hope you're not still in pain :eek: I'm going to look if my local leisure centre do a similar class...

Weemo - an ab roller - that is a little thing with wheels that you push in front of you when you crouching down isnt it? Sorry tricky to explain!

CocktailPrincess - do you think you'll give the class another go? Hope you're not still in pain :eek: I'm going to look if my local leisure centre do a similar class...
Defo mate- it was difficult, but I didn't feel the odd one out- everyone was groaning and having to stop just like me LOL.
Anything that is this intense must be burning fat and toning muscle so I have already booked for next Thursday

Good luck with whatever you choose mate xxx

I used to go to a 'bums and tums' class, and really enjoyed it. Got me fit and after a few weeks I really noticed a difference in toning too!
You shouldn;t really be aching afterwards though - more warm up at the beginning and more stretching at the end needed, I think ;-)

thanks for the tip Weemo! Yeah I've heard good stuff about Pilates, I've even got a book on it that I've never read! Shame on me! I Just need to find a local class on a day I can do :D

Weemo - an ab roller - that is a little thing with wheels that you push in front of you when you crouching down isnt it? Sorry tricky to explain!

I know what you are meaning Rachella ~ the one I have is similiar to the photo
31-3023242A68UC419143T.jpg

I joined the gym last week and they have one there too, I just need to get my bum in gear and use it! x

Im so glad that I stumbled across these posts. I have been trying to look for some ideas on how to tone up my tummy etc. but due to a back problem, I cant lie down flat on my back coz I then cant get back up (Its actually quite funny to watch me try to get back up by rolling over and having to be pushed by someone but the pain is unbearable) so I cant do sit ups.
Anyway.....I have now ordered a belly dancing dvd to try. I am really looking forward to giving it a go and my OH looked so pleased at the idea of me shaking my stuff around!
So.....thanks for the idea!

Back