new and daunted

Hello,
I've been reading the forum for a few days and thought I would say hello, i'm new to the forum thing so be gentle with me.
I've signed up to weight watchers online mainly because I know people who have done really well. I've done the old plan but the pro points is new to me. I have a ridiculous amount of weight to lose about 13 stone to be a healthy BMI but I'm just aiming to be happy. I can't have children at the moment because of my weight and thats really the only thing i've ever wanted but I haven't been able to get my binging under control in the last few years and my weight has just climbed as I comfort eat my way through friends and families life achievements, its a pretty sad existence.

I'd welcome any support or advice, my support system in 'real life' is limited.

Hello,
I've been reading the forum for a few days and thought I would say hello, i'm new to the forum thing so be gentle with me.
I've signed up to weight watchers online mainly because I know people who have done really well. I've done the old plan but the pro points is new to me. I have a ridiculous amount of weight to lose about 13 stone to be a healthy BMI but I'm just aiming to be happy. I can't have children at the moment because of my weight and thats really the only thing i've ever wanted but I haven't been able to get my binging under control in the last few years and my weight has just climbed as I comfort eat my way through friends and families life achievements, its a pretty sad existence.

Hi there!

Well done for joining WW and here!
It is the best support I have ever come across
You will always have a friend in minimins

I am in pretty much in the same boat as you. I was binging my feelings into oblivion and shunning everyone in my life for being happy (happy in my head was being skinny. Which is not the case....try telling that to past me!!)

You're not sad for making the decision to lose weight, its actually amazing!

I cannot have children either, the very brief gap that I tried, and it was down to my weight.
I'm in a sticky point in my life that having children would not be ideal, hence why I getting my a** in gear so to speak
Plus I want to be a size 12 lol

I hope you do well in your first week on WW! I know you will

Keep me and the rest of us posted

We're all rooting for you and your success :)

xx

Thank you for your reply, I'm still in the happy=skinny frame of mind, having said that I have no idea what I'd consider skinny, I think i'd be happy if I could just walk into a high street shop pick up a size 14/16 and it fit, maybe that's what I should aim for.
I know what you mean about getting in gear, I had the opportunity to do that a few years ago before my wedding but I never got anywhere wish I'd just kept going because i'd be almost done by now.
I was just admiring your stats, you're doing brilliantly! Have you lost all that on ww?

Thank you for your reply, I'm still in the happy=skinny frame of mind, having said that I have no idea what I'd consider skinny, I think i'd be happy if I could just walk into a high street shop pick up a size 14/16 and it fit, maybe that's what I should aim for.
I know what you mean about getting in gear, I had the opportunity to do that a few years ago before my wedding but I never got anywhere wish I'd just kept going because i'd be almost done by now.
I was just admiring your stats, you're doing brilliantly! Have you lost all that on ww?

yep :)
LOVE ww!!
Some days are harder than others. I generally want to eat all around me if Im having an awful day!
Thats slowly changing though!
I weigh in on Thursdays so hopefully there will be another loss there

No time like the present to start! and you will be a 14/16 :) probably before you know it!

For My Sake said:
Hello,

Hi, just read this and you sound how I felt 18 months ago. People on here are great support and in turn you get to support others and share ups and downs. 13 st is a lot to lose but if it helps I have lost 12 st 13 since January 2011 and am still trying to lose my final 2.5 stone or so to get to my goal. When I started out I just wanted to get to a size 20 so I could shop in debenhams and m and s etc.
Everyone is different but I never looked at the big picture, for me it was too daunting, I just aimed for half a stone at a time.

I hope you have a fantastic first week.

Hello there. I was 24 st 4 a little over a yr ago and im now 17:3. I started with Slimming World but I wish i'd found WEight Watchers sooner as its a much better diet. I lost 6 stone on SW then got stuck and fed up and joined weight watchers three weeks ago and i'm back in losing mode and have lost 10lb in the last three weeks.

Take heart that it can be done. I felt very miserable and my weight stopped me doing so much. I live life now instead of watching from sidelines. Huge huge positive vibes coming your way from me and wishing you a great first week!

I will just give you a little sentance that really has helped me. There was a programme on at the beginning of the yr about people with alot to lose. The trainer on there said:

"You can be your sickness or you can be your cure" Everytime I have thought of raid the cupboards and binging ( was a big issue for me) I made myself say that and it stopped me. I have stopped binging now so it can be done x

Thank you for the inspiration and motivation, I know I need to do this I just need to do this and I have to do it now.
I used to do slimming world but I find it too restrictive to be able to stick to it long term, I'm not a great cook so ended up eating the same things. I have been on plan for a few days now and I haven't had a binge actually I've lost my appitite at the moment so i'm not eating much at all but I don't think that will last as much as i'd like it too.
Do you guys have diaries on the forum? do you find they help?
I was tempted to start one could probably do with a place to unbottle my feelings, don't think it would be a very cheerful one at the moment though :)

thanks Lotty, how are you finding weight watchers?
I have to say i'm a little nervous about weigh day because I don't really feel like i've put any effort in to it (does that make sense?) i've stuck to my points but not really stopped eating the rubbish just been less because of the appitite.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm an ex SW-er too, changed to WW in February and I love it. This forum is fantastic for support, so you have made two really great choices straight away - starting a brilliant diet and coming to this forum. I'm an onliner too and I find the tracker really helpful. If/when you feel more like cooking there are some good recipes on there too.

You mention starting a diary. That's a third great idea. Doesn't matter if it's not all 'happy' to start with - it's meant to be a record of food and feelings, and you'll be able to look back at it as your successes grow (and you shrink!) and see what worked and what didn't, and how far you've come.

The link to my diary is in my signature if you want to pop in at any time. I'll keep an eye open for when you start yours, or post and let us know here.

You say that you don't feel like you've put any effort in - but I bet you have. And anyway that feeling is what I love about WW. It's easily adaptable to fit into real life. There is a yoga video I do that I downloaded from youtube, where he says 'Somewhere between ease and effort lies your pose.' When I read what you had said it reminded me of that, because I think it's true about WW too - somewhere between ease and effort lies the next pound off! It does take some effort to plan and count, but it's easy in lots of ways too, and I can 'relax into it,' which I could never do with SW, much as I liked a lot about the SW plan. Some weeks there is definitely more effort than ease, but it's all about finding that balance.

Good luck for your first weigh in, and all the following ones.

Hi and welcome. It doesn't matter what your reasons are, or how much you have to lose - the important thing is that you've taken that first step to doing something about it. :)

I've been doing WW since the beginning of May - it really does work. I also second (or third, or whatever) the idea of a diary. I love my diary on this site :)

Hi there

I'm a newbie too and just getting the hang of how this all works! Like you I have tried sw but found it just wasn't for me, I ended up restricting myself to the same foods. I have done ww years ago on the discover plan and had a lot of success, so I'm back with online membership to try the pro points plan.

This website seems fab for support, when I'm having the emotional wobbles and wanting to reach for the sweets (I'm an eater when I'm stressed!) I've promised myself I'll come on to the site instead. I wish you all the very best for your weight loss journey and hope to speak to you again on here to hear about your successes!

Thank you for your support, its been a great help this week.

I had my first weigh in today and lost 4.5lbs which i'm pleased about because I haven't been tracking very well but its a new week so I want to start doing things properly this week.

Thank you for your support, its been a great help this week.

I had my first weigh in today and lost 4.5lbs which i'm pleased about because I haven't been tracking very well but its a new week so I want to start doing things properly this week.

Brilliant - well done!

Hi there well done on your first loss that's brilliant!!
When I first started I wasn't sure about setting up a diary or not but I'm so glad that I did as the support I get on there is amazing.
I also have a long journey ahead of me my starting weight was 23st 4lb but now nearly 16 weeks in I feel so in control and so happy that I am doing something about this weight!!

My advice to you would be set mini goals like half a stone, 5% never look at the bigger picture because it's not worth it one step at a time. Also don't try to do too much at once or it becomes too much to handle for example I've lost 3st now on pretty much no exercise I've just concentrated on getting my head in the zone with the diet and the healthy eating side of things. This is my first week where I have set myself an exercise challenge nothing too major (2 half hour sessions , I chose to walk to work 2 days this week) and I feel great.
If you really want this then it is yours you just have to believe.
Good luck on your journey and feel free to pop by my diary xxxx

Back