New to all this

RhianB

I know I should say hi in the main newbie section but I want to start to do the slimming world diet so thought I would come here first :eek:

I am 23 and finally decide I need to face my weight problem after alot of denial about it. But I am really shy about my weight and haven't really spoken to anyone about how I want to lose weight.

I want to start to do the slimming world diet because its something my mum has done before and after reading alot of reviews online it seems like the best diet for me.

What would happen in my first meeting? Do I just turn up or do I need to ring to find out first?

Also what sort of things happen on this forum. I only use one other forum and its a reptile one so I doubt it will be alot of help to weight lost :p

Really sorry if I have babbled on I am just worried about where to start! :eek:

Any help would be great

Welcome along Rhian! Everyone on this site is so helpful and supporting it's amazing. You will be suprised how much this site helps with people's weight loss, it's packed of great tips, ideas and recipes. If there is anything at all you want to know, dont be afraid to ask. We are all here for a reason and all know what it feels like to be new to this. Happy to have you with us :) Best of luck with your SW journey xx

Hey, me too..... infact i've not even started the diet yet either, i've had a look online and there is a group not too far away from where i live on Thursdays at 7pm, so i'll be going to that.

How much weight are you looking to lose? I want to lose about 2 and a half stone by the end of the year (sooner if poss but want to KEEP it off) thats the trouble with me, i need to change my eating completely and need this to be a full lifestyle change which is why i think that SW will be the best one for me.

Perhaps we could help eachother out?! x

Hi I'm new too and joined last week, I was really nervous before going to the meeting but the leader was lovely. I think you just turn up (I did) for the time the meeting starts, or 5/10 minutes early, then fill in the joining form. Then the leader gave a new members talk, where they explain all about the diet and go through the hand book with you. Then you stay for the image therapy talk, then afterwards she weighed me and asked if i had a target in mind.

Everyone was really welcoming and made me feel at ease. Good luck :) Charli X

Wow! I wasn't expecting so many nice replies so quickly :D

I have about 8 stone to lose to be a healthy weight but going to work on a smaller target at a time as that seems like so much to lose.

I have checked there is a meeting local to me on Wednesday so I might pop along if I get courage. How much are joining fees?

I am slowly working this forum out but I am sure I will have plently of questions!

All the threads I have read everyone seems lovely and helpful. It's nice to be able to relate to people who are in the same boat as me and I am sure have had the same ups and downs I will have along this journey.

There's really nothing to worry about at the meetings. Everybody is there for the same reason and nobody will ever think 'she's big' or anything like that. Everyone in class will be at different stages of their own slimming journey.

If you're shy about people knowing your weight then don't worry, the only people who ever see it will be you, your consultant and whoever does the weighing. But as they're looking at so many different weights so quickly, they're all just numbers. I did it for a while at my club, and I was too busy trying to do maths to even think about how many stones people were!

On this forum you can ask any questions, or use the search facility, to find answers to SW questions. Everyone is here supporting each other and offering ideas - exactly the same as what happens at class, but at your fingertips when you need it!

Good luck on your journey, I'm re-starting class this week and can't wait to finally get back on the wagon again.

Hi again RhianB. I have seven to lose which also sounds really daunting so I'm breaking it down into smaller chunks too!

I thinking joining fee's are half price until the end of Jan (check sw website for details of the offers) and they have countdown packages too. I'm sure I read on here that some GP's even give out slimming world vouchers/countdowns so that could be worth looking into!
:) Charli X

My main worry was everyone knowing my weight but I feel better that its not told to the group. I feel a bit silly for thinking it tbh!!

Thanks for all the advice. :D

I will let you all know how it goes on Wednesday. I am going to be brave and do it!

A lot of people worry about that, but I think it's a natural assumption to make if you've no idea what happens in the class - we've all seen fat fighters!

A lot of people worry about that, but I think it's a natural assumption to make if you've no idea what happens in the class - we've all seen fat fighters!

I just had images of everyone being made to walk around in tight lycra clothes and weighed in the middle of the room (I watched to much of the biggest loser..) :p

I just had images of everyone being made to walk around in tight lycra clothes and weighed in the middle of the room (I watched to much of the biggest loser..) :p

I think if it were anything like the above... SW would not get many turning up for class:eek::eek::eek:

Congrats for having the courage to start group... just remember to stay every week, it's the IMAGE therapy that helps most of all on the journey :)

Wanna be slimming buddies? We're about the same age with about the same to lose, keep each other on track :D

People are only ever interested in how much you've lost - nobody even cares if you gain, only that you're getting back on track again!

Congrats for having the courage to start group... just remember to stay every week, it's the IMAGE therapy that helps most of all on the journey :)

Wanna be slimming buddies? We're about the same age with about the same to lose, keep each other on track :D

That would be awesome :) Still not worked out how to private message people on here yet though!!

I'm still working out how to work everything on here too!!

I added you to my contacts and sent a friend request though... Not sure where you find them...

:S

xx

Hi there,

I just wanted to say hello and reassure you about joining a group. I joined 5 weeks ago and I was so nervous about going for the first time. I walked in and the consultant asked if I was new, then I filled out a form and he gave me a pack which he went through with me and explained the plan. Then I stayed to group and I didn't have to decide whether to join at the end where, because I did, I was weighed and set my targets.

Over the weeks the group have become friends where we can all be open about losing weight in a friendly environment where no one is judged or ridiculed. I look forward to group each week and love chatting to everyone about they're week.

This forum is also a wealth of support and information and the people are absolutely fabulous, they have got me through some stumbling blocks and answered all my questions.

I hope group goes well for you and good luck on starting your journey.

X

Agree with everyone, its a brilliant plan! Best of luck! I've been an SW member since October and have lost 1 stone and 3 pounds without feeling as if i've tried! The SW website is amazing too when you join, sign up for that and there's so many tips to get you going!
This site is amazing too, i've had a peek as i've only just joined and still trying to figure out what to do lol! and everyone is so helpful! Best of luck! xxxx

Back