New to calorie counting, a little help please.

Hi everyone

I've dieted on and off for years and yet again I have put on just over a stone and I really want to shift it before I go on holiday in December.
I have done ww/sw/atkins but I'm just finding I can't get back into them so I want to do something different. I'm planning on sticking to 1200 calories a day but just wanted to check if this is ok for me. I've checked my BMR and it is 1594 x 1.2 (as I don't do much exercise at the moment) =1912 So I thought if I stuck to 1200 and started back exercising then hopefully I would be able to shift these 18lb before my holiday. Does 1200 calories sound ok or should I be going for a lower amount?
Many thanks for any help!
Sarah:)

Yes - definitely sounds about right - you should lose steadily on that amount of calories a day and have a great holiday.

Help! : (

I'm so frustrated. This was my first week- where you can generally expect the biggest loss? Or a decent one. I have stayed the same! This week I have been counting my calories:

Thurs: 1018
Fri: 1513
Sat: 1145
Sun: 1357
Mon: 1494
Tues: 1350
Wed: to come....

I have just noticed that it's tomorrow i should have weighed, but i'm still disappointed. I have been to the gym 3 times for 40 minutes cardio. I know I still need to up my exercise, but I still thought it would have been a loss! Grrrr!

Please don't be disheartened. If you have been counting calories and exercising you cannot failed to have lost weight.

Scales are funny things....often mine don't show a loss and the next day when I jump on 2lb down.

Stick at it and weigh again tomorrow. Even if there is no loss...you will be in a for a good loss next week.

Keep up the good work :)

Stick at it and weigh again tomorrow. Even if there is no loss...you will be in a for a good loss next week.

Keep up the good work :)

Thank you! I just couldn't believe it! I went out the house this morning so I wouldn't sit and stew and pick at food! Gonna have a look at what exercises i'm doing too. X

Agree - try not to be disappointed. Are 100% positive you are counting the calories correctly? The only other thing that really helps is to drink loads of water. It really does make a big difference.

Hi Meltdown,
I'm positive as far as the books and packaging tell me that i'm counting right... LOL. I've never been a big eater... I'm so confused over my weight (I know lager used to be a big thing). I drink about 2litres/ day water- living in Cyprus you need it!
I'll keep going!

Hi clw10 - there are tons of reasons why your scales might not be showing a loss this week - when are you weighing yourself, what time of the day? Are you checking serving sizes in relation to calorie counting? Have you been doing measurements (which I never do, I fail so hard at remembering) like waist/hips etc - your body composition may have altered slightly, so even if you haven't lost weight, you could have lost fat!

At the end of the day, you stick to your diet, you will lose weight - even if the scales aren't showing you yet, they will. Stick in there! :)

Hi clw10 - when are you weighing yourself, what time of the day? Are you checking serving sizes in relation to calorie counting? Have you been doing measurements?

Hi there,
I usually weigh myself first thing on a morning? The portions/ calorie are accurate- I even weigh things on scales to make sure. I haven't took measurements actually. I think i'll do that this week.
I'm doing a challenge on here starting Monday so i'll weigh again then and do the measurements.

Hi there,
I usually weigh myself first thing on a morning? The portions/ calorie are accurate- I even weigh things on scales to make sure. I haven't took measurements actually. I think i'll do that this week.
I'm doing a challenge on here starting Monday so i'll weigh again then and do the measurements.

Apparently, the most accurate measurement is first thing in the morning, naked, before eating/drinking anything and after going to the loo. Have fun on your challenge!

Good luck :)

Back