New to simply filling- any help appreciated

bulldogdaisy said:
Okies,will look it up,I've frozen some homemade chips,did you say to microwave them a little before cooking? I remember chatting to you and Atomic about them!

I just chuck them in the oven from frozen and they cook fine. I think the microwave thing is instead if parboiling them? X

icklerockchick said:
I just chuck them in the oven from frozen and they cook fine. I think the microwave thing is instead if parboiling them? X

Oh ok,thanks for that.Did a couple of bags worth but got loads of potatoes so will do more as and when,thanks for suggesting it :0)

I have 4 veggie kids and a veggie husband. Nursery and toddler food parties are always fun, I think most of mine have tried meat by default at some point. They do all have a choice, I would support them in eating organic free range meat but until they are old enough then as their mum I do what I think is best.

My oldest two have spoken to me at length about it and to family who eat meat and for now they both want to stay vegetarian. However teenage years may spark a change as they attempt to fit in. I hope they have the strength of character to make an educated choice. I'd like them to be vegetarian but I want it to be their choice because it's right for them just as being veggie is best for me.

Seeing my eldest eat a tuna sarnie at a christening was an eye opener, he didn't know it was fish but he didn't like it but then he doesn't like quorn fish either.

I was looking at the price of meat in a Tesco store at the till. A tiny joint was about £11. I could buy loads of quorn for that price. =-O

Changing diary again, to confuddle me again lol! :p

ILoveCake said:
I have 4 veggie kids and a veggie husband. Nursery and toddler food parties are always fun, I think most of mine have tried meat by default at some point. They do all have a choice, I would support them in eating organic free range meat but until they are old enough then as their mum I do what I think is best.

My oldest two have spoken to me at length about it and to family who eat meat and for now they both want to stay vegetarian. However teenage years may spark a change as they attempt to fit in. I hope they have the strength of character to make an educated choice. I'd like them to be vegetarian but I want it to be their choice because it's right for them just as being veggie is best for me.

Seeing my eldest eat a tuna sarnie at a christening was an eye opener, he didn't know it was fish but he didn't like it but then he doesn't like quorn fish either.

I was looking at the price of meat in a Tesco store at the till. A tiny joint was about £11. I could buy loads of quorn for that price. =-O

Changing diary again, to confuddle me again lol! :p

It's good to hear from the other side of the coin :0) and you're right,meat is often so expensive!

bulldogdaisy said:
It's good to hear from the other side of the coin :0) and you're right,meat is often so expensive!

I had no idea of meat prices. The last I remember was student days and my husband ate meat. I remember a pack of tesco value sausages costing about a pound for about 16 sausages. But I can imagine the non meat in them. I guess real meat is expensive as it probably should be. Cheaper to stay on the quorn I think. Lol.

Thankyou for my treats, they were all really nice, bit disappointed by kinda cake and vice versas but the fruit drops were lush! I appreciate u sending it all, would u like any money for postage ect ?

ILoveCake said:
I had no idea of meat prices. The last I remember was student days and my husband ate meat. I remember a pack of tesco value sausages costing about a pound for about 16 sausages. But I can imagine the non meat in them. I guess real meat is expensive as it probably should be. Cheaper to stay on the quorn I think. Lol.

I tend to do both as not a veggie but I do like some meat free foods! But yes have to pay more for quality,same as eggs I guess,it's nice that you are all happy to be veggies :0)

The cost of meat was certainly a deciding factor in me becoming veggie! I could really only afford the cheaper meat and would rather go without. Lean mince is so expensive for a teeny pack whereas quorn or dried soya mince goes so far!

Hope I didn't cause any offense I didn't mean anyone who has veggie kids is a bad parent or anything more just that the way some go about it is so wrong! Obviously controlling their food at home and lots of fruit and veg is great for them infact! Just I find it very sad things like forcing very young kids to be vegan or raw diet or anything like that and that means so many foods, choc, crisps, cake are out as is eating out at normal places, no food they can eat at kids parties, school dinners etc. or giving them into trouble for eating meat by accident when they are too young to understand.

Just out of interest Cake does anywhere like KFC, McDonald's etc offer any veggie kids meals nowadays? Infact even normal restaurant kids meals can be pretty poor lucky if they manage some mac cheese or plain pizza! To be honest even grown up veggie options are really poor a lot of places if you don't like salad! X

No problem Sarah glad they arrived ok. Shame you didn't really like the cake or vice versas, fruit nuggets are amazing and I think a pretty good amount for 1pp despite the decievingly teeny little bag! X

I didn't realise how hard it was being veggie until I knew my friend. Loads places have 3/4 veggie options but they are all the same veggie burger/pasta/quiche lol
And when we get chips there are loads in the area but we have to go to this crappy one as its the only one that uses vegtable oil

icklerockchick said:
The cost of meat was certainly a deciding factor in me becoming veggie! I could really only afford the cheaper meat and would rather go without. Lean mince is so expensive for a teeny pack whereas quorn or dried soya mince goes so far!

Hope I didn't cause any offense I didn't mean anyone who has veggie kids is a bad parent or anything more just that the way some go about it is so wrong! Obviously controlling their food at home and lots of fruit and veg is great for them infact! Just I find it very sad things like forcing very young kids to be vegan or raw diet or anything like that and that means so many foods, choc, crisps, cake are out as is eating out at normal places, no food they can eat at kids parties, school dinners etc. or giving them into trouble for eating meat by accident when they are too young to understand.

Just out of interest Cake does anywhere like KFC, McDonald's etc offer any veggie kids meals nowadays? Infact even normal restaurant kids meals can be pretty poor lucky if they manage some mac cheese or plain pizza! To be honest even grown up veggie options are really poor a lot of places if you don't like salad! X

No offence taken. Fear not my kids eat plenty of cake and crap lol. I'm not super strict, my kids do have jelly sweets etc and chips from the chip shop. I don't want them to have food hangups but I do want them to know where food comes from and that there is an alternative to meat. I just think why eat a cow when Asda meat free meatballs are so lushous.

Eating out can be a pita. Mcdonalds happy meals are pants. No veggie burger just chips and a fruit bag. Burger king are better they do a kids veggie burger happy meal. Pizza hut and express are easy to eat at. The average pub or restaurant usually only has one veggie kids option and 2 for adults-usually very high fat. We don't eat out much since I started sw. As for kfc I wouldn't know I don't go in there.

Ikea are great, kids babysitter play area for free and quorn hotdog and chip meals for about £1.79.

I love ikea food! And they do adult veggie options too!

The last time I went I got a coffee and croissant and jam for 45p lol

I love ikea and the food is so cheap didn't know they had veggie hotdogs though that's exciting! :-D

Now started posting my food on my other diary so come stalk me there ;-) gona stop using this one over next few days x

icklerockchick said:
I love ikea and the food is so cheap didn't know they had veggie hotdogs though that's exciting! :-D

Now started posting my food on my other diary so come stalk me there ;-) gona stop using this one over next few days x

What other diary?

Sarah I had my old diary moved to silver members section for privacy - can only view it if you have so many posts so means people not on minimins can't see it.

Only started a new one to get into the swing of simply filling but now I am I would prefer going back to the more private one and no point moving this one when I already have one so if you sf guys could come subscribe that would be fab :) x

Didn't no they did that

I can't even find it!

Found it! Was on my phone so had to go through google

Back