Extra Easy New To Slimming World - Any Tips?

PFMC84

Slim Me Down, Scotty!
I started on Tuesday after going to a meeting on Monday night. I wasn't even aware but one of my neighbours who lives down the road runs the local meeting so I feel like I have a pair of eyes watching me so I have to be good!

I have been eating as suggested all week but haven't really been eating any syns though. The only thing I could count as a syn was a wholemean bap that I had an extra lean burger in last night which was topped with mushrooms done in Fry-Lite and served with lots of steamed baby potatoes, I think the bap counted as 8 syns. Apart from that, (and one small square of chocolate) I haven't eaten any syns all week so should I start eating them or is it better if I don't and it will help lose more weight quicker?

I also have my first weigh in on Monday night and am dreading it already. I'll be mortified if I go in and I find I'm the same or heavier after the first week.

My friend has also just phoned me and asked if I wanted to go out for a few drinks tonight. I told her I am doing Slimming World so can't really drink but will go to get out of the house and enjoy the pub atmosphere, but if I am tempted to have a drink or two, what's the best low syn drinks I can have?

Thanks for your help everyone, this is the start of the new life I have planned for myself, sick of being big and am finally gonna get the body I've always wanted and nothing is gonna stop me this time!

Vodka and gin are 4 syns each mixed with diet coke or a diet drink. You should aim for at least 5syns a day to help you lose weight :) if you're struggling to eat them as you are full from the meals try and incorporate them into the meal eg a bit of oil or butter in cool,img or some extra cheese etc.

Hi Paddy, it's great to have you along. You are doing just what we all did in the start. :)

Tips - Eat your syns!! You must eat your syns and you cannot cheat the system by not having any as the weight won't drop off any quicker. Probably the opposite in fact. As you are allowed 5 - 15 per day, 10 is a good place to start if you're not really sure. Also, if your weight did plateau in the future, then you couldn't reduce your syns if you weren't having any??

The wholemeal bap, surely that would have been your Healthy Extra B for the day? Or had you eaten it? You must count HEXA and HEXB each day and your syns. Top tip, FOOD DIARY - read your books, plan your meals and get it all down on your food sheet.

Drinks are not forbidden so I would go out and enjoy yourself, unless it leads to snacking. I have cut back to almost no alcohol, and tend to go with low alcohol beer or soft drinks, but if you fancy a tipple, vodka and diet coke is always a popular choice. Off the top of my head I think a shot of Vodka is 4 but I'm not 100% on that.

What you will find useful are all the sticky's (the threads posted already and saved) that discuss things like syn values etc. I would check them out as you will find these extremely useful.

But we are all here to help each other so shout up if you need a hand.

Good luck on your slimming world journey.:)

My HexA and HexB are the Weetabix and semi-skimmed milk I have for breakfast every morning so anything else has to be synned! I have filled out my food diary sheets that came in the welcome pack and I input them on the Slimming World website's own Food Diary in the members section too. Trying to keep a check on everything that passes my lips so I know exactly what's going in and can make sure I'm not eating rubbish!

I might just have a few vodkas and some Coke Zero instead as I hate the taste of Diet Coke and I understand Coke Zero is free on EE anyway (or probably all plans).

I also have my wholewheat spaghetti ready for my tea when I get home from work and am gonna make a spicy tomato sauce with added onions and mushrooms added to it to have over it. Might even get some Quorn and finally taste it and see what it's like. Might also freeze some too and have it ready for a quick meal if I'm in a hurry or couldn't be bothered cooking that much!

Sounds like you're all geared up ready to go!

Make sure you keep an eye on them in the pub, I'm always a bit suspicious if they actually really do give you diet cola.

Freezing meals is a great idea. I make bolognese with extra lean mince and loads of peppers and mushrooms with passata and tinned tomatoes. There's so much you just have to freeze some, so it's great for getting a bit out at a time, especially when you don't fancy cooking.

I hope you enjoy the evening down the pub. Good luck for the WI on Monday, I'm sure it'll be all fine. Let us know how you get on. :)

I may just get my friend to sneak in a few cans of Coke Zero so all I have to buy is the vodka! I could even sneak some vodka in too come to think of it, it'll be a very cheap night!

I think I'm going to make double quantities of my pasta sauce so I can freeze what I don't use and have during the week for lunch. I can feel myself already getting bored of making low fat Super Noodles and Pasta N' Sauce with only water and no milk or butter! They are nice, but I want a little something different! I might even treat myself to a lovely lean steak and SW chips soon, we will see how the WI on Monday goes...!

I would like to try somehting else for breakfast, don't want to always be eating Weetabix with some milk, what other quick, easy breakfasts are there? I usually sleep in despite my alarm clock going off for work so I don't get much time to make/eat breakfast!

I love crunchy bran. :drool:

There's something called 'Magic porridge' but I haven't made it yet. Get your allowance of porridge and mix it into a mullerlight yogurt of choice (free) leave it overnight in the fridge so the oats soak up some of the moisture and in the morning, hey presto! Magic porridge.

You could do a slice of toast with egg and mushroom/tomatoes/beans.

For the weekend you have to have a slimming world fry up!!

Hope that helps.

Hello
Sounds like you were doing well.
Hows it going so far?

x

Sorry for not updating this earlier. I sort of stopped going for a while and have started back up again. We all fall down, it's getting back up that's important!

Have my 30th birthday next year (my 29th is in a few weeks!) and a holiday planned for next summer. I don't want to be looking back at pictures of both those events thinking "Ugh, I was awful looking, why didn't I do anything about it?" so that's spurring me on to get back into SW.

I did put a little of what I lost back on, but checking the scales on Monday and I'm 1lb lighter than I was when I stopped and all because I was watching what I ate and was more sensible with fatty foods and portion sizes. I will be mor e sensible this time though!

I know what you mean on syns, day to day I could not eat any syns as I find it easy to just have the free and superfree foods. Along with everyone else though I have heard that weight loss is more successful if you eat at least 5-10 syns. I agree putting extra cheese/butter is a good way to make up syns, as I got into a habit of eating jelly tots, or small chocolates just to get the syns in, not really the most healthy thing to have every single day, even if they are allowed!

In terms of breakfast I always like porridge as it's really filling, or fruit and mullerlight. Another fave of mine is poached egg and bread as my HEX. Or something like lean bacon, baked beans, egg, bread etc. if you feel like something a bit more fancy but still syn free!

Back