New to slimming world

Bellalola

Hi All,

I have an awful lot of weight to lose but I find Weight Watchers far too restrictive. That said, I like that I can eat out and 'point' my food.
I've decided to give slimming world but cannot afford to go to class so plan to buy the books off ebay. The plan sounds great BUT I know of a few people who just do not lose weight on it. Is this really because they haven't stuck to it or is it because it doesn't work for everyone? I'm a BIG eater and will eat and eat until the food is gone, I could eat a panel of pasta, no problem. Bearing this gluttonous attitude I have, is Slimming World right for me?

Sorry for the ramble! Many Thanks xxx

I've done both ww and sw and lost weight on both. I prefer sw because it is based on healthy eating rather than a diet. You can still eat out and syn your foods if you want. Also if you choose meals out based around the free foods you can't go too far wrong.

As for it not working and your mindset, I think you just have to be really honest with yourself about free foods. All the material says eat it freely to satisfy your appetite. So eat until you're full. And to have a third of your meal speed food. Which is basically fruit and veg. The third speed food should be replacing other food if that makes sense.

Generally I have 3/4 meals a day (I have 4 smaller meals the days I'm working). My plate is about half veg and I only really snack between meals if I'm hungry.

Also wanted to say, about a year ago I read a really good book called intuitive eating which was really helpful about eating only what I need. I'd really recommend ir

I prefer SW to WW. But I have to make sure that a third of my plate is speed food and that I drink enough water. I fall into the trap of just eating free food, -but it's the speed food that really helps the weight come off. I've also found it doesn't matter whether I have 5 syns or 15 syns, so don't try and not have any or it really does seem like a diet! It's a lifestyle change so you just have to eat lots of speed, drink lots of water and count your syns xx

SW is definitely more of a lifestyle change than a diet and (in my experience) works much better because of this. It's been around 12 years since I last tried WW and I remember at that time you could eat what you liked as long as you didn't go over your points. So you could basically eat nothing but slices of bread or chocolate bars for a full day and it would "technically" still be fine. Ok, you'd probably still be really hungry though. To me, that doesn't encourage healthy eating. SW's free, superfree and healthy extra system on the Extra Easy plan gets you eating all the right things. Something that is sustainable even after you've lost the weight.

Back