Newbie and Struggling! SW vs Calorie Counting

dennisnind

Hey all 👋

I have been trying to lose weight for as long as I can remember.

In my teens and early 20s I was fit, did martial arts and was slim. After that, I gradually piled on weight, I stopped martial arts and I'm now just battling with my weight every day.

I have tried possibly every diet - I have had almost no success on any of them, although as expected, some worse than others.

The only one I had a bit of success with was Slimming World. I found it easy to follow, the weight actually seemed to be dropping off (slowly, but surely), but again, I had given up and quickly piled it back on.

The conundrum is that I have read no end of negative feedback about Slimming World, where it creates bad relationships with food, and that got me thinking - everyone I know who lost weight on slimming world (and in some cases, a lot), are now back to being much bigger which I feel is just reinforcing my worries!

Everything I read, stated that the ONLY way to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Soooo, for the past 2 weeks I have eaten 1300 calories (I'm a 34 year old male at 16st) - I haven't lost a single pound!!!

Seriously, I'm on the verge of getting a gastric sleeve because it's running me down and I have no idea what to do! I was going to start SW today again, but have that fear as always that the horror stories are true! The flip side however, is it's clearly working for many!

What do you think?! Man, I desperately need some advice, so thanks in advance!

Den

Hi , Welcome!
I’ve done SlimmingWorld in the past a couple of times and lost the weight then didn’t continue and put it back on …
Like most plans you have to stick with them!

1300 cals for a man your weight is not a lot of calories!

Have you looked up TeamRH?
They’re on Facebook,
It’s calorie counting and exercise, mainly steps but also weights as such too.
It’s very straight talking , ( the main man doesn’t mince his words!😂)

But you join give your info ie weight height etc , say wether you will workout ( resistance training) or not and how many steps you will do a day 10/15/20k a day etc
They will workout your calories for you which will be much more than 1300!
It may seem a lot of calories you get but you will lose weight on it - I’ve done it and it works too ( still a member actually- just didn’t carry on when I got where I wanted- went back to old ways and the weight went back on🙄)

Good luck , get it right, stick with it and you will do well , whatever plan you choose😊

Hey all 👋

In my teens and early 20s I was fit, did martial arts and was slim. After that, I gradually piled on weight, I stopped martial arts and I'm now just battling with my weight every day.

I have tried possibly every diet - I have had almost no success on any of them, although as expected, some worse than others.

The only one I had a bit of success with was Slimming World. I found it easy to follow, the weight actually seemed to be dropping off (slowly, but surely), but again, I had given up and quickly piled it back on.

The conundrum is that I have read no end of negative feedback about Slimming World, where it creates bad relationships with food, and that got me thinking - everyone I know who lost weight on slimming world (and in some cases, a lot), are now back to being much bigger which I feel is just reinforcing my worries!

Everything I read, stated that the ONLY way to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Soooo, for the past 2 weeks I have eaten 1300 calories (I'm a 34 year old male at 16st) - I haven't lost a single pound!!!

Seriously, I'm on the verge of getting a gastric sleeve because it's running me down and I have no idea what to do! I was going to start SW today again, but have that fear as always that the horror stories are true! The flip side however, is it's clearly working for many!

Den

Hi.

I think the problem with reading up on diets and programs is all you will tend to read are the negatives.

Slimming World does have its flaws if you want to exploit them. If I wanted to I could put on weight using SWs guidelines but why would I, I would not only be cheating the system but paying good money for it!

If you lost weight with it before and enjoyed it, why not go again? The biggest thing for me is the enjoyment of what you are doing otherwise it isn't going to be successful, especially long term. I lost weight souping, juicing and on low calorie diets. These were unsustainable and taught me nothing other than how to hate food and lose weight fast. Slimming World however has worked well for me as I have found a way to eat foods I enjoy whilst losing/maintaining weight and feeling happy about it.

Are you sure you're counting your calories fully though? 2 weeks at 1300 calories a day I would expect to lose a considerable amount of weight. I would also be very hungry...

Hey all 👋

Den
Hello Dennisnind

i have just returned to slimming world
I have lost a stone..
didn’t believe I could or would but hard work changing things up but a stone lighter and feeling better for it.

if and when I ever get to my target weight I have decided I am going to continue checking in at meetings.
I have decided that I need to do this as I need that accountability.
So that’s my plan.
I have quite a way to go.
just taking it one day at a time.
im trying to be patient with myself also which is not easy
but I’m trying

Hi , Welcome!
I’ve done SlimmingWorld in the past a couple of times and lost the weight then didn’t continue and put it back on …
Like most plans you have to stick with them!

1300 cals for a man your weight is not a lot of calories!

Have you looked up TeamRH?
They’re on Facebook,
It’s calorie counting and exercise, mainly steps but also weights as such too.
It’s very straight talking , ( the main man doesn’t mince his words!😂)

But you join give your info ie weight height etc , say wether you will workout ( resistance training) or not and how many steps you will do a day 10/15/20k a day etc
They will workout your calories for you which will be much more than 1300!
It may seem a lot of calories you get but you will lose weight on it - I’ve done it and it works too ( still a member actually- just didn’t carry on when I got where I wanted- went back to old ways and the weight went back on🙄)

Good luck , get it right, stick with it and you will do well , whatever plan you choose😊
Hi Is Team RH on here or just facebook x

Hey all 👋

Den
Hi I definately think 1300 cals not enough. Have a look at MFP and see how many calories recommended on there

Back