Newbie doing Slimming World saying hello!

Eeek I didn't realise this thread had so many replies, therefore to keep myself up to date I want to reply to everyone in this post :D haha so sorry if this is confusing, just you all raised some great points :)

SkinnyDawn: I know I only do red/green days. Extra Easy is gobbledygook to me!! I stick to what I know hehe plus as I've gotten older I appreciate 'free foods' and fruit and veg much more! Hail to SW hehe! Best of luck to you too!!

MiniVik: Thank you :) oh I plan to get very accustomed to the SW section, hoping to find out some lovely low-syn recipes too!

Sue: Hi Sue, best of luck on SW. A friend of mine did Cambridge diet for months and months and then put all the weight back on during a 2 week all inclusive holiday :/ I think the reason I love SW is I never feel like I'm missing out. Tonight my housemate made a low-syn chicken lasagne which I think substituting many ingredients for my HE only came to about 4syns :) yum yum! I hope you enjoy SW as much as I have!

V: I agree, University meant I could eat what I wanted when I wanted... and boy did I take that to the extreme!! Gained a couple of stone (Christmas didn't help!) and SW was a way for me to lose weight and still enjoy University life! Keep up the amazing work :)

Mali: Hey I agree. I personally have never been to a SW group but I have all the books from my sister. I joined this forum for the same

Leece: Heya!! I know what you mean, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my carbs (bread, pasta, pastry mmm) but I know this is often my downfall so I try to have more red days than green ones, and I really limit my syns and make the most of the free foods on offer. Good luck, I will be keeping my eye on your progress cos I know with this diet you will do great :) Maybe we can swap a few tips and recipes hehe! Best of luck at it!!

Irene, leivers1984, : Thanks for being so welcoming :)

Hehe good to see so many people, both pro-SW members and also newbies to the diet. I wish everyone the best of luck :)

Love Danni

xxx

Charlie Mac, I know what you mean. My 28g of cereal I never stuck to... but I bought myself a lovely cheap set of electronic kitchen scales and I plan to stick to it religiously. Every gram matters hehe :) Freezing stuff is the best option. Today I made my own Sweet & Sour Sauce and froze two containers of it, so that some time next week I can defrost it and have it in a chicken stir fry or something!!

I also agree with MiniVik, I use my Wii to weigh myself but I ONLY weigh myself once a week, the same day, and usually the same time or at least before I've eaten to get a balanced result. My sister often made the mistake of weighing herself at her house, and at my mums and then shocked to get a different result at SW weigh ins. My advice: weigh yourself weekly, and only weekly, using the same scales :) also, it's not all in the weight. I measure my bust, waist, thighs, arms and hips before i start a diet. Often i will lose more inches than I do pounds (which is best to do if you are exercising... muscle weighs more than fat remember lol)!

Oh and Mali as far as i'm aware (I hope this is still correct...) Bachelors Savoury Rice all flavours are free. Take 15 mins to cook in the microwave and are very filling and a great ''ready meal'' if you're in a rush or want a very filling snack. I used to get very sick of Muller Light yogs, but i just found out certain Onken flavours are free so I'm now in heaven hehe!

Danni xxx

hey danni cheers for the tip i'm gonna be rushing to the shops 2mora for that rice :) cant stand yogurt tho but i'm gonna try crab sticks so hopefully i'll be a fan hehe xoxoxo

WI wed; lost 2lb! About to blow it tonight as i'm going out for a curry (organised b4 xmas!) and I've had a bag of crisps. Jings! Can I still lose by next wed??

Of course u can! Enjoy yourself tonight, don't go TOO mad, and start again tomorrow. You could try to pick some food which is low syns, but if yr anything like me u go out wiv the best of intentions and it all goes out the window when u get there! Xx

My best tip - Dont Weigh Yourself!
You'll get lost in the world of scales. Best bet is to just leave weighing until Weigh in! xx

I know i shouldn't but the temptation is too much. I liek to see the weight loss for myself. But I shall take your advice and get rid of the scales!

Of course u can! Enjoy yourself tonight, don't go TOO mad, and start again tomorrow. You could try to pick some food which is low syns, but if yr anything like me u go out wiv the best of intentions and it all goes out the window when u get there! Xx

I'm planning on keeping away from the naan and the starters. I like Poppadoms so I can't see me turning away from those! As for the curry, I really like the onion fried rice (syns? 21/5?) and I'll be having a tomato based curry so that should help too! The crisps........well nowt I can do about them, they're scoffed!! :eek:

Back to it tomorrow...........hard!

Hi everyone - I'm back on SW again after falling off the wagon for 18 mths but I lost 2 and half stone - it really does work but you do have to keep a careful eye on healthy extra as this is the main downfall when u are new to it - good luck

You're welcome Mali. My housemate introduced me to those rice packets before xmas so when I found out they were free on SW i was so excited! They're my idea of a ''ready meal'' but FREE :)

I know i shouldn't but the temptation is too much. I liek to see the weight loss for myself. But I shall take your advice and get rid of the scales!

I don't weigh myself at all in the week.... I like the feeling of stepping on the scales at WI, and realising i've lost weight! There is not better feeling than surprise :) x

I agree, I do my own weekly weigh-in because I don't attend a SW Group. I had my first weigh in today, couldn't even lie in because of the excitement... and lost 3lbs :) I mean, if you know you've done well all week, you know you will have a loss either way... if not then sometimes it's even more of a surprise if you have had a bad week and still lose lol!

My sister used to weigh herself all the time, and would often skip WI's if she finds shes put on weight or had a bad week which, in my opinion, defeats the object then lol
xxx

I love sw! You really won't feel like you're on a diet...its so easy and really you can eat anything! I did do ww 8 yrs ago (admittedly before 'pro points' ) and lost 4 stones but I was constantly hungry and felt I was relying on their frozen meals rather alot. With sw u simply eat a healthy balanced diet, 99 % no weighing or measuring, and it fits in well with family or eating out. Give it a go...you got nothing to lose but weight! Xx

Hi itzacatslife, well... I LOVE SLIMMING WORLD lol!

Skinnydawn is right, SW is less a diet more just healthy eating!! There are less restrictions than other diets. Plus you really can eat what your friends are having (within reason). My housemate made a chicken lasagne the other day... i mean come on how can I have a lasagne on a diet... but with a slight moderation to the sauce it was only about 3 syns so I got to enjoy a meal with my housemates, a delicious meal, and not feel cheated or left out!

A good idea if you don't like alot of cooking, or are often too busy to cook is to freeze meals! Or make a big batch (such as pasta) to put in the fridge then you can have it the next day without worrying. Also you can still snack between meals... just reach for a MullerLight and some fruit, rather than crisps and chocolate.

I've been doing the diet 100% by the book for a week now and lost 3lb. I wouldn't say I've done alot of exercise (walked about 30km in total, done 10mins jogging outside and 2hours total on the wii fit) but I feel like I have so much energy and I can't wait to see what new recipes i can try out each day :)

Good luck with it, I hope it's a good fit for you too! This site is brilliant btw, I am so glad I joined it because the information, advice and support has been outstanding!!

Danni xxx

I've had a terrible week. I am so unorganised and find I'm hungry a lot! I try to eat all the free foods but fruit as a snack just doesn't seem to fill me up and I crave something more substantial! Snack foods are practically non-existent on this plan. Everything needs to be cooked or prepared!! Thinking of skipping SW this week as I'll be well embarrassed having put on in my second week!!!

What to do!?

Hi Lileece,

I wouldn't advice skipping, in fact if you've had a bit of a tough week, it would be more beneficial for you to go and perhaps talk it out with the rest of your group and your group leader. Tell her how you've been feeling and perhaps she or any of the other members will be able to guide you and give you advice on what other foods are available for snacking etc or to fill you up a bit more. Cos no doubt every single person there including the leader had faced this issue.

I snack on fruit, but if I feel I need something more substantial (today is an example) while I'm out at University I had an ASDA Smartprice chocolate and nut museli cereal bar. I think it's a max of 3.5syns (because my one is less calories than the strawberry and yoghurt one which is 4.5syns). Better than reaching for crisps or lots of chocolate. I also find I have worse days if I don't plan ahead more thoroughly or sometimes if I don't have a back up plan.

Today I had every ready to make burger and wedges... been feeling sick all day though and couldn't face a big meal like that so instead had the roll, a few laughing cow wedges and then later when I felt a bit better some SYN FREE bachelors rice. Lol but to me this was one of my worst days because it's the first day of being back at uni after a month so my routine has changed completely again!

Definitely ask your group and/or group leader some advice... you'll prob help a few of the other SW'ers who are too afraid to bring something like this up!

And just remember it's only one week. So you've had a bad one, you will do even better next week :)
Keep your eye on the prize - sounds cheesy but you can do it!

All the best for you
xxxxxxx

Hiya

Welcome to mini mims I new here too and on Slimming World, doing it myself at home and like you I lost weight on it before (2 and a half stone) and its gradually, without me even realising piled back on.

have a look at the slimming world section on here its full of good things. You can also weigh in on certain days and record your losses/gains whatever each week. I chose fridays as t helps me focus more at the weekend so i weigh in with friday girls which is really helping and a great support.

Hey Bugbunny2000,

Thanks for the advise; I WILL be going to my WI tonight and dependant on how I get on I will stay for the group session. I found my first group session a lot dull and not very helpful. Maybe it's just because I wasn't really involved, being as it was my first. I'll stick around tonight and see whats-what.

Thanks for taking the time to help, really appreciate it.

Hey Lilleece,

You're welcome :) I hope it goes well for you!!
I've never been to a group session in my life (i'm a D-I-Y slimmer lol) and I know my sister only used to WI and run. But hopefully you will get something out of it and will keep you inspired :)

Also hello to *trying-again*, I'm in the same boat dropped from 12st 4 to 10st 9 in the space of a year but unfortunately my weight has gone up and down since then and I'm now tipping the scales at 11st 1. But i'm hoping my 3lb loss this week is just the beginning towards my target weight!
I am already searching the recipe section and fancy a smash-based pizza lol sounds... exotic hehe!!

Danni
xxx

xxxx

Back