Newbie (over from Atkins/LC)

LibbyW

Hello everyone!
I followed the Atkins induction diet for 14 days and lost 6.5pounds. However, I've decided that I just couldn't stomach the food much longer. Really missing veg. So I bought the Low GL Diet for Dummies book on Saturday and have been following the principles since.
I have 14 pounds to loose (doesn't probably sound like a whole lot but I've been trying for years - loose 2 up 4 that kind of thing!)
So I really think the induction has helped me loose my desire for refined carbs so I'm hoping I'll be successful at this way of eating.
Today I've eaten
B - Bowl of all-bran with hot skimmed/milk water
S - I was in town and starving so went to health food shop and bought a bar which only contained fruit and oats. No added sugar or flours.
L - 1 piece rye bread and one egg fried in a little olive oil and a tiny bit of low sugar ketchup
D - will be a recipe from my new book - basically chicken, chickpea and veg stew type thingie!
All comments welcome on my menus.
So I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone on here.
Onwards and downwards.
Libby

Hi Libby - just wanted to wish you all the best with the GL diet. I have recently started following it too - I hit a major plateau on Weight Watchers so needed to try something different. I've left my food diary on the WW section though but I do pop in here and have a nose! Is the GL for Dummies any good? I've read a few and am 'loosely' using The GL Diet Made Easy. I'm finding it great so far, though I find I have to watch my portion sizes.

Your food seems great to me, but I am still getting my head around the new way of eating without counting points!

Good luck! :D

Lesley
x

Hi Lesley
Thanks for replying. You are doing great since moving over to low GL. I bet the STS weeks were hard to cope with. I find that so demoralising!
Anyway I'll be weighing myself on Friday after a week of this way of eating.
I did great yesterday however was hungry going to bed but didn't want to get up and eat at 11pm!!
So this morning I've just had a bowl of porridge. Do you have protein with every meal. I think Patrick Holford recommends that.
So thanks again and good luck to you.
L

Hi Libby, lots of luck with your GL journey. Lots of luck to you too,Lesley. It is great that GL has kickstarted your losses again. I think that it is a great way to eat and lose weight. Keep up the water intake and watch portion sizes. I use the site myfitnesspal.com to keep track of my overall calorie intake as well as choosing good gl foods.
keep posting.

Hi Libby
I weigh in on a Friday too! I wasn't really intentionally eating protein at each meal, but since you asked, I looked through my food diary and I usually do! I think I may have overdone the portions this week so I am not too confident that I will get a loss! All those STS were hard - if it hadn't have been for the support and suggestions from people on here, I would have given up I am sure. I really like the GL diet and don't feel so obsessed with food since I have stopped counting points.

I'll pop in again to see how you are getting on. Good luck for Friday!

Lesley
x

Thank you Molly - you have done amazingly well. I did want to try to avoid counting calories/points etc as I find this makes me focus on food which isn't good - but if I hit another plateau, it's definitely worth thinking about.

Libby and Lesley good luck to you both for the coming week. Keep up the good GL choices and your water intake.

Hi Libby, how did WI go? I had the predicted STS - I must take more care with portion sizes next week! Hope you have a great weekend and good luck for this week.

Lesley
x

Back