Newbie saying hi

NinaMyers

Hi folks, just found this place and think it's wonderful already. Been reading posts and think this is a great place for help and support.

A brief outline on me...

30 next week and, truth be told, I've never been as big as I am now. (I don't know how much I weigh, I've made a point of not weighing myself)

In the past I've lost a fair bit of weight, almost 3 stone when I was 23 years old. I was on the atkins diet and the weight loss was easy. Amazing how quickly it goes back on though!!
Tried atkins again a few times but I never stuck with it.

This time I'm doing it the old fashioned way, counting calories!!!
I'm writing down everyhting I eat every day (I must say this helps, just seeing on paper what you're eating) and trying to keep to around 1500cal. I bought nutritional sclaes and am careful with everything.

I must admit, it's not been too bad so far (2 weeks in). I'm also starting to exercise more, swimming when I can.

Another thing I'm doinf differently this time, is I'm not monitoring my weight. Last time I'd be bitterly disappointed if one week I didn't lose as much as I wanted. I got really hung up on the numbers

So this time, I've taken photoes, and will take new ones on a monthly basis.
Interested if anyone else does the "not knowing your weight" thing?

I'm really focussed this time and so determined. Willpower on my side this time

Thanks for reading this guys, hopefully I'll be posting on here a lot in the future

Hello and welcome to minimins!!

I have to say i love being weighed - i dont get too dishearten by the numbers but for me personally its a way to monitor my progress. I also ensure that i look at the loss monthly rather than weekly as then it gives a better picture.

I have heard of people that just measure rather than weigh so that they can see the inches rather than the lbs come off. I think taking pictures a really good idea - i havent taken a before picture and now wish that i did. Although i do measure myself monthly aswell.

Good luck with your journey!

xx

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm feeling good as an old pair of jeans that were getting just a little tight fit me better now, so I'm judging myself on that sort of thing.

Maybe when I drop a size or two I might use the scales, but until then I'd rather not know lol

Feeling focussed though and I REALLY want to lose it. I think that's the big difference this time, i really want it.

i find not weighing myself is easier...its how you feel in the clothes youre wearing i always feel...im only saying this as i got obsessed with the scales a few xmas' back and it got to the point where i was depressed if it didnt say what i wanted it to say so i would just binge and then feel even worse.
and i agree with pesty that i now want to be healthier not just be a slave to a diet...i think the right mind set definately helps.
well done on the exercising more, im doing this and am feeling the benefits of more energy already after about 2 weeks.
good luck.
xx

i find not weighing myself is easier...its how you feel in the clothes youre wearing i always feel...im only saying this as i got obsessed with the scales a few xmas' back and it got to the point where i was depressed if it didnt say what i wanted it to say so i would just binge and then feel even worse.
and i agree with pesty that i now want to be healthier not just be a slave to a diet...i think the right mind set definately helps.
well done on the exercising more, im doing this and am feeling the benefits of more energy already after about 2 weeks.
good luck.
xx
Thanks Amy

I can tell this site is going to be such a big help!!

I'm looking forward to the summer already, nicer weather so I can take the dog on extra long walks. Can be bitterly cold out on the beach by the time I get in from work.
Hopefully by the time the summer comes a light jog won't be out of the question.

It's a crazy thing to say, but I'm feeling more positive about myself than I have in a long time.... I'll have to remember this feeling for the first time I hit "the wall"

im sure if you do hit the wall someone will be on here to get you through it.im personally craving a pizza now and ive just checked out some of the before and after pics of some of the other members (i really recommend doing this and there is one with a link to a weightloss before/after youtube video which is inspirational) and its keeping me away from ordering so im now looking forward to a stir fry which is gonna satisfy me for longer anyway. everyone is very supportive on here.

Welcome to the forum. Do you think weighing once a month would be easier than once a week?

Hi Shelz, thanks for the welcome

I think the monthly weighing is a good idea.
I did actually weigh in first thing this morning for the my fitness pal calculations ( i had estimated my weight before, was 0.4lb out - scarily good guess!!)

Think I'll weigh in fortnightly, with my photos 1 month apart:)

welcome nina:) hope you get the support you need here. i'm sure you will. i'm a newbie here too so keep in touch.

weighing is an individual thing i think. my old boss said to me once about something entirely different to weight loss that 'you can't manage something unless you can measure it' so i think regular weighing is important for me but other people use different means of measuring like clothes fitting etc so find something that works for you. i'm glad you aren't going the atkins route again and sticking to the calorie counting:) that and exercise and it should all be easy peasy - i wish! enjoy the forums

Hi Breadbin

Thanks for the welcome!

First real day of me struglling, got a cold, therefore won't be swimming this week, and it's so easy just to stuff your face when you're feeling under the weather.

However, I am remaining tough, the food tracker on here means I have to justify things to myself! I always ask myself if something is worth the calories!

Hi Breadbin

Thanks for the welcome!

First real day of me struglling, got a cold, therefore won't be swimming this week, and it's so easy just to stuff your face when you're feeling under the weather.

However, I am remaining tough, the food tracker on here means I have to justify things to myself! I always ask myself if something is worth the calories!

thats strange, i always seem to get a cold when i try actively to lose weight!! think its the stress of dieting or something;)

but why stop swimming? keep your feet wet just take it easy - you'd be amazed how well you feel after it:) defo don't overdo it!

Back