Newbie: Some questions about THD.

unica

Hi, am new on here and was just reading up about the Harcombe diet online.
Unable to buy the book (yet) but from what I read up & found about phase 1:

[h=3]Phase 1[/h]Day 1
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Salmon steak with selection of vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms) and a large side salad; natural live yoghurt
Dinner: Brown rice (50g dry weight) and veg (not potatoes or mushrooms) stir-fried in olive oil

Day 2
Breakfast: 100g brown rice cereal (from the gluten-free section in supermarkets) with water (not milk)
Lunch: Salad Niçoise: a tin of tuna or a tuna steak on a bed of salad. Hard-boiled eggs, olives and anchovies are optional. Olive oil and black pepper for dressing
Dinner: Meat (steak, or pork chops or lamb etc) with any amount of vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms) and a salad

Day 3
Breakfast: Plain or ham omelette (ensure the ham contains just ham and water, not added sugar etc) made with 2-3 eggs, knob of butter, ½tsp herbs, ground black pepper, chopped ham (optional)
Lunch: Chicken and/or beef strips stir-fried in olive oil with vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms)
Dinner: Stuffed peppers: boil 50g dry weight brown rice, stir-fry chopped mixed vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms) in olive oil, then mix the rice and vegetables together and fill a deseeded pepper shell. Bake in a medium oven for 20-30 minutes until the pepper is soft to the touch

Day 4
Breakfast: Up to 75g porridge oats with water (put the dry oats in a bowl and pour boiling water on top to the consistency you like)
Lunch: Chef's salad: a large mix of salad leaves, grated carrots and beetroot - be really creative, with cold cuts of meat and/or hardboiled eggs. Olive oil and black pepper for dressing
Dinner: A large whole fish, such as trout or mackerel, with plenty of vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms) and salad

Day 5
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (no toast) or soft-boiled eggs with raw vegetable crudité ‘soldiers'
Lunch: Roast or grilled chicken and salad and/or vegetables (not potatoes or mushrooms)
Dinner: 50-75g dry weight rice pasta in a tomato sauce: stir-fry an onion and a garlic clove in olive oil, add a tin of tomatoes, 2tsp basil and black pepper. Simmer until the pasta is ready

So my questions are:
Is it possible to replace all rice items with a similar meat/fish with vegetable sides? like the eatwell plate on the harcombe site?
can I stay on phase 1 till I reach my goal weight... about 20 pounds to loose?
I am also preparing for a marathon so I prefer to prepare on the least amount of carbs possible... more fat...
any ideas on this please much appreciated.

Thanks all :)

Hi!!

Welcome to the HD!!

I personally don't eat any carbs except for veg, and even then I picked the lowest carb ones.

I managed to lose 3st in about 13 weeks last year, and am now back on the wagon to lose the last 1st.

I stayed mainly on phase 1 but occasionally added some dairy into my meals, but not too often or it can stall weight!

You can download the book from iBooks or kindle if you can't find a hard copy- worth having as lots of important info. Also I recommend the recipe book as helps to mix things up abit and stops you getting bored!
There is a forum on Facebook as well which is fab for helpful tips, motivation and recipes!

Good luck on your THD journey! :)

Back