Newbie?...!

JR1988

Okay, so I'm new to this website and will be new to slimming world. I didn't know where to post this so i apologise in advance!

I am going to be joining a slimming world club this week. I keep telling myself that I might not, but I have to! I'm not sure how I feel about it. I just have a feeling that most people will be bigger than me, but kinda hope thats not the case I don't want some weird looks!!

I'm currently 23. When i was 12 i weighed in at 11stone and I looked like a rather large blob of a child. I absolutely hated myself. In the space of three months with determination from myself and my mother I managed to lose 2 stone with no club support. Rather quick loss - but i cut out crisps, chocolate and cake...!

Now, I am generally around about 10 st / 10 st and a half and its bugging me. I'm about 5 ft 5 so i dont exactly look huge and my BMI is just in the healthy weight range (or so i believe) but its the fact that I was once 9 st (and did go below) yet in the last couple of years I've just grown. Its confidence I lack. I go on the scales everytime I go to the bathroom which I know is really bad, really obsessive, but I can't help myself - If my weight has gone up I get miserable and vice versa.

A friend of mine is starting weight watchers but I've heard that you literally starve on a WW diet. I LOVE food. Lol. Hence why I'm joining slimming world where I hope I can eat enough :)

What I'm trying to ask is - Does anyone have any advice... and am I going to look stupid walking into a slimming world club when some people would probably wish for my figure? I wouldnt be doing this if i thought i could maintain my own weight but it seems ever increasing...

Jess

(P.S. I do have a flabby bum, fat thighs and a horrible wobbly belly....!)

I can only speak for my group. No one judges anyone there. We have both ends of the spectrum. One girl who has lost 5.5 stone & still has 6 to go. Another who joined to get back into her size 10 clothes, and managed it after loosing a stone. You should expect that you won't loose as quickly as someone with alot of weight to loose, and as long as you are prepared for that and have the right expectations from the beginning you'll be fine.

I don't mind going down a size or two, its when your clothes get too tight its really demoralising!

Thank you for your reply.

I dont expect it all to drop off instantly - although if it did that would be fantastic...

I think the worst things are;
on the slimming world questionnaire I had to tick the never does exercise if i can help it option... And I have a major major obsession with chocolate sweets and anything containing sugar. In March of this year I cut out all chocolate/sweets from my diet - lost half a stone... but then I gave in and put it back on again.

Just want to enjoy food without having to worry about putting weight on...

And about the not exercising - going to visit LA Fitness tomorrow.

I need serious motivation!

Well at least with SW you can still eat a bit of chocolate if you want.

I still don't do exercise even though i've lost 3stone nealy. I am saving it for when i really need it!

You don't do exercise....!

Ahh... I wonder If i can lose weight without exercise - that would be bliss and incredibly lazy of me. :D Got myself in a bad mind set now! :p

I am still very overweight though hun! Still 3 stone to target, and that would still put at the top of the healthy bmi range, so don't listen to me on the exercise front!!

:welcome2:

I do not belong to a class as we do not have them here but my personal opinion is that whatever your start weight it is down to the individual and whilst I am one of those who would love to be closer to 10 stones I can fully understand that you want to be less.
You can substitute chocolate for options and highlight drinks for that choc kick. Stirred into natural yogurt or fromage frei it makes a super chocolaty pud.

You are already in the healthy BMI range (i.e. 20-25)

I thought you had to be higher than this to join SW or did I imagine this?

I'm sure I read that somewhere:confused: might have dreamt it though back in the days i was eating cheese....;)

Maximus said:
You are already in the healthy BMI range (i.e. 20-25)

I thought you had to be higher than this to join SW or did I imagine this?

I'm sure I read that somewhere:confused: might have dreamt it though back in the days i was eating cheese....;)

There is a minimum acceptable weight to join, which is 10lbs above a bmi of 20 i believe (so that your target weight is 1/2 a stone less, plus your 3lbs leeway each way).

I'm not sure Max, but if you believe what you read... the ideal weight for my height is supposedly 8st 8 to 10st 10... I'm getting close to the top end. I've not been this big or unsightly since I was a fat teen at school and I'm keen not to get back to that! I'm not going to diet and become dangerously thin, or even thin for that matter... Just want to get to 9 stone. I have a natural curvy body (which I also hate) but you've got to live with that.....!

kingleds said:
There is a minimum acceptable weight to join, which is 10lbs above a bmi of 20 i believe (so that your target weight is 1/2 a stone less, plus your 3lbs leeway each way).

I'm confused... So what would that mean? If you take the 10lb off 144, It would be 134lb and 5'5" What would that make my bmi?

Sorry, it's late and I'm feeling quite simple!

Had a look on slimming worlds height and weight chart and I'm nearing the top of ideal... 9st would be the lower region of ideal... I'll call the group leader tomorrow and see what she says I guess.... Thanks x

Sorry JR

I hope i didn't sound rude or bullying then:eek:

I just "thought" I'd read it somewhere. Of course weight and target is entirely with what you feel comfortable with.

I guess I came from a much higher weight to reach target lol.

Max, don't worry honestly! I think I would be okay. First major break through is that I've joined la fitness! Might see how I go doing that for a couple weeks cos they give u a fitness plan....

Back