Newly diagnosed with PCOS

PhatCat

Hi all!

I was diagnosed with PCOS just over a week ago and as well as feeling quite daunted by it all I was perhaps more relieved that there was a cause for the acne, hair loss, weight gain and restless nights and knowing I wasn't just going mad or very unfortunate.

I'm quite new to MiniMins too and reading a few of the posts on here I'm glad that I've stumbled across this site. I've been reading lots about a low GI diet however articles I've read so far tend to have conflicting messages about what I can and can't eat. Does anyone have any useful tips to get me started?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Phatcat and welcome.

I was diagnosed with PCOS over 3 years ago. I have been taken Metformin for over 2 years as I am trying for a baby. The metformin hasn't worked for me but it has for others. Once I have a BMI of below 35 the hospital will start me on clomid. For me I have never had acne or hair loss but I did have sudden weight gain (for what seemed like no reason) and I stopped getting periods other than one or two a year. PCOS has been hard to cope with but I at least know why I am struggling to have a baby.

It isn't the end of the world. You can do things. I cut out carbs and and upped my exercise levels. I lost a stone over a couple months but wanted to get my body moving as was very tired. Now I am following slim & save, which is a VLCD and I love it. 3 days in and I feel great.

If you have any questions then ask away xx

I was diagnosed seven years ago now, and it can be worrying at first -- I know I paniced i'd never get pregnant and things like that, but like you said it was also a relief there was a cause for things.

I can't really comment on low GI diets.... like curvey_em i'm on slim and save, and have found that ketosis based diets worked really well for me (I mean, i put weight back on after, but the ones i managed to lose most effectively and keep it off longest was atkins and cambridge). I don't know if that has anything to do with my pcos or thats just me though!

Back